What is it about the anti-gun crowd?

Of course not. WTF????? See, you libs gotta understand, if we don't agre with you, we don't DEMAND that you COMPLY with our stance. Own a gun, don't own a gun... I really don't care.

I belonged to a hunting/shooting club for many years. Recently the Tea Party types took over and started requiring NRA membership to belong to the club.

What if you were GOA and not NRA?

I think that was the name of the outfit that kept sending me phony surveys.
When opened it told me to send them money before my guns got took away and vote for Rand Paul.
I may be wrong on the groups name though is there a 3rd gun group?

What about a .50 caliber with exploding rounds...
API rounds are legal, as a M2HB machineguns. As they shoud be.

What about an m4?
Absolutely.

Big Bertha? Is the Davey Crockett considered a firearm? It's just a big gun with an exploding round, right? I mean the Army called it a rifle.
These arent considered "arms" as the term is used in the 2nd.

I'm focusing on just this because it highligts another issue in the gun debate. Life experiences. A lot of the anti-gun crowd (which you are not part of I know) only have one type of exposure to guns. Either seeing it on the news or in their neighborhood, but ultimately involving a gun being used to hurt or kill someone. There expereinces shape their perception and opinions about guns.

I quoted the above because based on my life experiences this is a completely ridicuous requirement. I grew up in an area where I would bet there were probably 50 guns within a mile square area. How many people were killed as a result of gun violence in that same area. ZERO. I grew up in rural northern Minnesota about 10 miles north of a town of about 10,000. In fly over country most people are using their guns for hunting or shooting sports. During deer and duck season you'll hear hudreds of guns a day go off. None in violence to humans. My point is it is wholly unrealistic or even worth while to record and investigate every single gun discharge. I know it's hard for some to believe, but the primary use for most guns out there (in the U.S. anyway) is NOT to hurt people.
I -think- this requirement is only for a firearm discharged in the course of concealed carry.

My understanding is that, at least where I live, if a firearm is discharged within city limits, it becomes a police matter, as doing so outside of a shooting range, self-defense, etc [you know, the obvious things] is a crime
Much for the same reason that it is illegal to yell fire in a theater.

What about an m4?
Absolutely.

Big Bertha? Is the Davey Crockett considered a firearm? It's just a big gun with an exploding round, right? I mean the Army called it a rifle.
Says who?

The FF didn't say the gun couldn't be above a given calibre

Absolutely.

Says who?
As per the SCotUS decision in US v Miller.

To qualify as "arms" as the term is used in the 2nd, a weapon must:
- be similar to those in common use at the time
- part of the ordinary military equipment
- have some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia

Railroad artillery and nuclear weapons do not fall into any of these categories.
All classes of firearms, however, do.

Bertha's just a big cannon

It was for the Germans in WWII
- have some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia

It does. It's a weapon of war. For when the Militia has to defeat the Army.

Same arguments go for the Davey Crockett and the plutonium bomb, really.

I mean... they had exploding shells...

Bertha's just a big cannon
It was for the Germans in WWII
It does. It's a weapon of war. For when the Militia has to defeat the Army.
Same arguments go for the Davey Crockett and the plutonium bomb, really.
I mean... they had exploding shells...
Sigh.

Tell you what -- argue all you want that Big Bertha and Davey Crockett are covered by the 2nd - but understand that in doing so, you necessarily concede the position that all classes of firearms are protected by the 2nd as well.

Enjoy.

It's the whole "Wild West" thing that the gun nuts seem to cling too.

The only people I see cling to any 'Wild West' mythology is the anti-gun crowd.

People, like you, who don't know jack shit about guns, the Old West (Which wasn't as wild as Hollywood would have you believe), or much of anything else.

Settling up with shootin' irons just doesn't seem the way to go..moving forward.

Do you know why we have a standing military? Do you know why people learn Aikido and Krav Maga? Do you know the most common reason for having a gun in the home?

Because people who rape and murder other people will always have weapons. And they love idiots like you who don't believe in being able to defend yourself or your children.

Yeh, OK, bring defending children into it. Who in the hell would ever want to do such a thing?

As wrong as it is to not vote.
So... all the repeat murderers are wrong to not have a gun?

Or you're cool with not voting?
Or...
You have the right to vote; you have the right to own a gun.
You have a social responsibility to exercise both of these rights; if you do not, you are shirking those responsibilities.

Some people should not own firearms. I wouldn't trust truthiness with any type of firearm..she would no doubt figure out some way to hurt that poor puppy through sheer stupidity.

If a person chooses not to own a firearm that is their right, just as it is not their right to tell me not to own mine.

The same goes for voting, if they are too lazy to vote or to dumb to figure out how...good. With rights come responsibilities, if they choose not to exercise them then so be it..... but they shouldn't whine when things don't go their way either.

It's the whole "Wild West" thing that the gun nuts seem to cling too.

The only people I see cling to any 'Wild West' mythology is the anti-gun crowd.

People, like you, who don't know jack shit about guns, the Old West (Which wasn't as wild as Hollywood would have you believe), or much of anything else.

Settling up with shootin' irons just doesn't seem the way to go..moving forward.

Do you know why we have a standing military? Do you know why people learn Aikido and Krav Maga? Do you know the most common reason for having a gun in the home?

Because people who rape and murder other people will always have weapons. And they love idiots like you who don't believe in being able to defend yourself or your children.

Several of my friends were killed by guns.

That's all I need to know.

Jack.

Unless the gun fired on accident then no they were killed by people (unless some animal got to the gun).

I don't care if you don't want to own a gun, I just want you not to care if I do as long as I am responsible for it. I have owned guns since I was 9 years old, 59 years and not once has any of my guns been involved in an accident or commission of a crime. I also have not been robbed or molested and am not likely to be.

Forum List

Back