What is going on in Haiti???

did you read Ollie's explanations the other night? about rioting? first they should repel down security troops,, and cordon off an area and then send down the water and the food..

no i did not read ollie's post willow....

i think they need to drop smaller individual packets, even among the crowds, as long as they FLOOD them with it, things will not get that bad....they need all helicopters dropping it at once in a few areas at a time...

to let them all die or be depraved because of ''the fear'' of chaos is absurd imho....the helicopters don't have to even touch the ground....also they could unload a bunch of food and water at undisclosed sites, spread it out in bundles over a distance then drop pamphlets in the city nearby on the different spots to go for it.... it has to be saturated with supplies....an overflow, to keep the violence to a minimum.

there's tons that could be done....

you got some reading to do.. lady,, I started a thread the other night about this very issue and the Perfect People got vile and obscene about it. The water and the food is sooooooo close yet sooooooo far... FOX showed some footage of a helicopter dropping packets,, "away from the crowd" an riot ensued anyway,,

i just had to shut off the news on it, couldn't stand watching it anymore, too frustrating....

the key to make it work is to FLOOD the areas ALL AT ONCE with an over ABUNDANCE of supplies....

they will never get supplies if we WAIT for a PERFECT time....yes, some rioting may still occur, but PEOPLE, more PEOPLE than NOW will get supplies and be helped imo.

no i did not read ollie's post willow....

i think they need to drop smaller individual packets, even among the crowds, as long as they FLOOD them with it, things will not get that bad....they need all helicopters dropping it at once in a few areas at a time...

to let them all die or be depraved because of ''the fear'' of chaos is absurd imho....the helicopters don't have to even touch the ground....also they could unload a bunch of food and water at undisclosed sites, spread it out in bundles over a distance then drop pamphlets in the city nearby on the different spots to go for it.... it has to be saturated with supplies....an overflow, to keep the violence to a minimum.

there's tons that could be done....

you got some reading to do.. lady,, I started a thread the other night about this very issue and the Perfect People got vile and obscene about it. The water and the food is sooooooo close yet sooooooo far... FOX showed some footage of a helicopter dropping packets,, "away from the crowd" an riot ensued anyway,,

i just had to shut off the news on it, couldn't stand watching it anymore, too frustrating....

the key to make it work is to FLOOD the areas ALL AT ONCE with an over ABUNDANCE of supplies....

they will never get supplies if we WAIT for a PERFECT time....yes, some rioting may still occur, but PEOPLE, more PEOPLE than NOW will get supplies and be helped imo.

I'm not disagreeing with you here. I'm hoping the people get some help,, but it's been 5 days.. This resuce effort so far is a total failure..

I think this is an outstanding operation. Dozens of countries have shown up with supplies and food, China, interesting enough, being one of the first there. I can imagine there are huge problems with the lack of roads and facilities. They also need enough food and water to keep the workers going. When you consider all of the participants, and the obvious language barriers--it's probably going as well as can be expected. The hospital ship that left Baltimore yesterday will be a big help, but it won't get there until about Wednesday. Personally, I have been really surprised by the aid supplied by countries that don't have that much themselves, like Cuba, Mexico, and some other South American countries.

they need to just shrink wrap a bunch of supplies in bundles and drop them down by helicopter in the needed areas and let them fend 4 themselves till help can get to them or drop pamphlets telling them water will be dropped in certain places with food and PLENTY more is coming...SOMETHING has to be done for GOODNESS SAKES! :(

I wish they could do that too Care but right now the prisons have emptied into the streets and the criminals are running amok robbing banks, food supplies and even orphanages. I just saw a video on Fox that showed thousands of bottles of water and boxes of MRE's just sitting in the middle of a field. No one wants to go in and deliver it because of the security threat.

Sound familiar?

NONE of the supplies sent there are getting to the people who need them. There are stories all over the news trumpeting Obama's response yet none of the medical supplies, food and other aid has reached anyone. The 72 hour timeline has come and gone.

It's ok to have political disagreements. but this has nothing to do with Obama. Stop it. Haiti doesn't even have proper equipment to offload supplies. No heavy machinery... nada.

Don't make this political. It isn't.

that dam George Bush did it again!!! George Bush didn't have all the proper equipment installed and have everything ready for an emergency when it happened. This intern made President Obama look bad and ineffective in this emergency. He did it on purpose to make Obama look bad. Now is the time to get a congressional investigation to look into this!!!!

Don't shoot the messenger...watch the news...all I'm seeing is stories about people screaming for help and people digging out bodies...NOT ONE STORY showing aid being distributed.

and FYI...it was already politicized by the MSM as a contrast to the Katrina response.

this is nothing like katrina which was in our country and in which FEMA failed miserably.

again, stop it. you're too smart to sound this silly.

and yes, things suck in Haiti...but not because the president isn't doing his job.

I know you think it's cute to say that if bush was guilty of something, obama must be too. but facts don't bear it out.. no matter how many times the same lies are repeated.

FEMA failed Miserably? What world do you live in? The ONLY place FEMA had trouble was in New Orleans. And that was because the Governor and the Mayor FAILED MISERABLY. Get your facts straight before you spout off untrue statements.

Further the failures in New Orleans were not earth shattering at all. The press created a false crisis and then fed on it.

Hopefully anyone with half a brain sent security along with any aid they sent to a country known for its lawlessness BEFORE the Government was destroyed in an Earthquake.

I imagine there is a lot of misinformation and the security threats are overblown...just like the rumors of widespread looting were in New Orleans.

I think everyone is doing the best they can in a terrible situation.

Indeed they are Ravi..but raw video doesn't lie...the situation that's taking place right now is identical to Katrina. Relief workers are being shot at, there's widespread looting, the police force is stretched beyond capacity and all the roads are blocked.

MSNBC, CNN, Fox...all say and show the same thing.

As soon as the Marines get there and establish order things will be different, just as it took time to get the Guard in place in N.O. but right now it's almost a dog eat dog situation until security can be restored.

Sorry if that upsets some but those are the facts.

:lol: I wouldn't go that far...but I think all of the trumpetting of the U.S.'s quick response being compared to the Katrina response was a bunch of horseshit. So they opened themselves up to criticism if their efforts fail....just like Bush. The MSM politicized it instead of just keeping their mouths shut for once.

Indeed they are Ravi..but raw video doesn't lie...the situation that's taking place right now is identical to Katrina. Relief workers are being shot at, there's widespread looting, the police force is stretched beyond capacity and all the roads are blocked.

As soon as the Marines get there and establish order things will be different, just as it took time to get the Guard in place in N.O. but right now it's almost a dog eat dog situation until security can be restored.

That was not true in New Orleans.

I don't the Marines are going to be granted any jurisdiction beyond the landing strip.. the Haitian Gov.. (which did so damn well before the EQ) and the UN will have jurisdiction in the city.. Look for it to get much much worse, I can't think of two more incompetent bodies (Haitian Gov. and UN) to be running things..

That was not true in New Orleans.

most definitely was true in NO,, roads all underwater, police force scattered and the few that remained were sent on vacation to Las Vegas, there was widespread looting,, they emptied out entire Walmarts, cadillac dealerships and ecectronic stores, and yes relief workers were shot at in NOLA too.

I don't the Marines are going to be granted any jurisdiction beyond the landing strip.. the Haitian Gov.. (which did so damn well before the EQ) and the UN will have jurisdiction in the city.. Look for it to get much much worse, I can't think of two more incompetent bodies (Haitian Gov. and UN) to be running things..
Willow...I hope the Marines are made a part of the UN peacekeeping force. That way they can get to where they are needed...into the cities to restore order.

Indeed and the problems with distribution and getting the help where needed, rests with local government. In Haiti, the US military is taking that role, 6 days after the quake hit, which is as soon as possible.

With Katrina, the only excuses possible were ineptitude and corrupt, LA government wise:

http://www.freewillblog.com/index.php/weblog/comments/6027/

6:12 am, 9/3/05
"Listen up, meatheads."

Uh, check out this story from August 28th.
In the face of a catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, a mandatory evacuation was ordered Sunday for New Orleans by Mayor Ray Nagin.

The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should. He exempted hotels from the evacuation order because airlines had already cancelled all flights.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.
Wait a minute. Are you kidding me? These ostensible chief executives couldn't seriously have been so clueless that the only reason they finally bothered to evacuate was because the President called them up on the telephone and told them how to do their jobs? I'd like to find an exact quote.

Update: I guess the hundreds of buses Mayor Nagin didn't use to take the poor out of the city would be a lot more upsetting if there'd been time to organize them. On the other hand, that wouldn't have been a problem if they'd ordered it 72 hours beforehand, like their evacuation plan appears to have told them to.

Update: Threshold State has a handy list to help you keep track of who is at fault. Personally, I think he should put together an easy-to-understand flowchart. IMAO provides a list of lessons learned:
The job of the Mayor is to take care of the people in his city. When he fails at that - his secondary job becomes blaming the federal government.
Apparently, he and Blanco imagined their duties to be more, shall we say, "advisory", or perhaps that their offices were honorary, like being King and Queen of Mardi Gras. I've been about as kind as I can to Nagin, but alongside Blanco's obliviousness it's looking like the locals really phoned this one in, big time. Maybe they should've hired Mayor Giualiani as a consultant.

You people are pretty stupid.

The president's comment was aimed at the people of NO...there was already a "mandatory" evacuation. Bush was only following protocol. Too bad that he fell asleep for the next several days.

Forum List

Back