Making slaves buy their own Freedom!

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by Contessa_Sharra, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Contessa_Sharra

Contessa_Sharra Searcher for Accuracy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Haiti: the land where children eat mud - Times Online

From the article:

Hard to imagine the concept, making the former slaves who were being worked to death anyway BUY/PAY for freedom that they won in battle...

I also saw up here on other threads some comments about looting.

This morning I saw on one news show that what is being taken is food, and MATTRESSES......

Really shitty, that, stealing a mattress so someone you care about doesn't have to die lying on bare dirt!

2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Acutally, it is not as far out as you think.

When serfdom was abolished in 1867, it was done on the installment plan. and like with Haiti, it was done will outlandish interest. One of the big reforms after the revolution of 1905 was the reduction in the interest rate on the manumission of 40 years before.

Also, in the US south, manumission was accompanied with expensive conditions. Robert E Lee's father in law directed that after the estate was settled, the slaves be free. They never were because the estate couldn't afford the state mandated fees on manumission.

General Grant was given a slave by his father in law. It cost 800 for him to buy the manumission on this guy, and while he paid the state of MO the fee, he still owed money for it until after Donaldson.

Slavery people are very ___________ I can't think of a word vile enough.

3. Yukon

Yukon BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Americans at one time enshrined in the Constipatiion that Negros were not completely human. You are in no position to comment on people in any country, when you live in a glass-house, dont throw stones.

4. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Interesting.
    Slavery lives on under different names.

5. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    And if you live in an igloo, you are no one to throw anti-freeze.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Contessa_Sharra

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    There is a case in Tennessee that made it all the way to the State Supreme Court where one Lloyd (or Loyd) Ford willed his land to his Black children so that they could be free and not forced to leave either the state or the land they had actually worked for him. The Court cases took place in about 1843.

Twenty years before the Civil War, the freed family won the case, got both their land and their freedom.

TN Encyclopedia: FORD V. FORD

This is my family this case is about.

Justice Green wrote this:

"A slave is not in the condition of a horse or an ox. His liberty is restrained, it is true. . . . But he is made after the image of the Creator. He has mental capacities, and an immortal principle in his nature, that constitute him equal to his owner but for the accidental position in which fortune has placed him. . . . [T]he laws under which he is held as a slave have not and cannot extinguish his high-born nature nor deprive him of his many rights which are inherent in man."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    That is so cool. Thanks for that.

I think I should note here that TN was an outlier in this regard. Most states required that upon manumission, the former slave had to pay a huge bond (In the case of MO it was $800, in VA it would have been a similar price) that would be forfeit if the former slave committed an offense, and if the former slave didn't have the funds to renew the bond, he could be sold by the state to satisfy it.

I am a bit of an ACW buff, and how Lee and Grant handled the issue of slavery themselves has been a point of hot discussion on the interwebs.

8. Contessa_Sharra

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147

Our outlook has changed, mostly, but there are still some areas of this slavery business that we have to look at, even now.

Me, I find it generally offensive that there were ever those who thought it OK to steal another human, and then force their labor for life. Horrid people that think others who have less power owe them riches. There are still some of those around. Even now there are those who do not get that the relationship between worker and business is symbotic, not slave to master/owner.

I think that the whole collection of humanity needs to really look at and see the truths of what we have done to each other.

9. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    The practice has been around for nearly as long as there have been human being. It has always been an ugly practice and slaves have always been required to purchase their freedom. From at least 1948 onward however I am sure that the masters of Hiti could had they so chosen managed to take their case before the united Nations and go those illigitmate reparations set aside but as near as I can tell they never even tried. By then it had become little more than a convenient excuse for the Duvaliers et al to rip off those they ruled over.

This however is a debt that the French government should long ago have renounced and had they any sort of soul remand the money they had already stolen plus interest to the haitian people.

10. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    We are talking of the french here.