What is "Anxiety?"

Anxiety is...

• Total voters
True, RGS. I once went though a period where I had panic attacks, totally suck! It was a pretty stressful time and I was eventually able to talk myself out of it. Still, I have to vote for option number three.

I'm glad you got better.

Or am I? :dunno:

Or did you? :eusa_eh:

I once went through kind of implies I did, no? :lol:

Wouldn't want to wrongly infer anything. :D

I went with Option 3. I've seen a lot of cases where people say they have "anxiety" and I have to say, I think they're just being what you call a "wuss" or something such as that.

However, I also know people who, if they find themselves in a moderatly stressful situation they just go fucking nuts. Sweating, breathing like a race-horse, ranting and raving, lashing out over the smallest of changes to their daily routine. i'd hate to be one of the persons, because what they have truly prevents them from living a "normal" life. Less of course they're on some heavy medications.

I have anxiety, but haven't had it in a long time.

It usually happens when I'm excited and/or I can't wait for something.
Or when I want something.

But thats pretty much it.

Social anxiety disorder, testing taking anxiety, performance anxiety, etc. What is it really? Is anxiety nothing more than a well crafted medical euphamism for puss-itis? Vote today and tell us what you think?

Anxiety disorder is a blanket term covering several different forms of a type of mental illness of abnormal and pathological fear and anxiety. Conditions now considered anxiety disorders only came under the aegis of psychiatry near the end of the 19th century.[1] Gelder, Mayou & Geddes (2005) explain that anxiety disorders are classified in two groups: continuous symptoms and episodic symptoms. Current psychiatric diagnostic criteria recognize a wide variety of anxiety disorders. Recent surveys have found that as many as 18% of Americans may be affected by one or more of them.[2]
The term anxiety covers four aspects of experiences an individual may have: mental apprehension, physical tension, physical symptoms and dissociative anxiety.[3] Anxiety disorder is divided into generalized anxiety disorder, phobic disorder, and panic disorder; each has its own characteristics and symptoms and they require different treatment (Gelder et al. 2005). The emotions present in anxiety disorders range from simple nervousness to bouts of terror (Barker 2003).
Standardized screening clinical questionnaires such as the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale or the Zung Self-Rating Anxiety Scale can be used to detect anxiety symptoms, and suggest the need for a formal diagnostic assessment of anxiety disorder.[4]

That's what anxiety disorder is... and here is but one example of it

Posttraumatic stress disorder[note 1] (PTSD) is a severe anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to any event that results in psychological trauma.[1][2][3] This event may involve the threat of death to oneself or to someone else, or to one's own or someone else's physical, sexual, or psychological integrity,[1] overwhelming the individual's ability to cope. As an effect of psychological trauma, PTSD is less frequent and more enduring than the more commonly seen post traumatic stress (also known as acute stress response)[4] . Diagnostic symptoms for PTSD include re-experiencing the original trauma(s) through flashbacks or nightmares, avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma, and increased arousal—such as difficulty falling or staying asleep, anger, and hypervigilance. Formal diagnostic criteria (both DSM-IV-TR and ICD-10) require that the symptoms last more than one month and cause significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.[1]

Social anxiety disorder, testing taking anxiety, performance anxiety, etc. What is it really? Is anxiety nothing more than a well crafted medical euphamism for puss-itis? Vote today and tell us what you think?

Anxiety disorder is a blanket term covering several different forms of a type of mental illness of abnormal and pathological fear and anxiety. Conditions now considered anxiety disorders only came under the aegis of psychiatry near the end of the 19th century.[1] Gelder, Mayou & Geddes (2005) explain that anxiety disorders are classified in two groups: continuous symptoms and episodic symptoms. Current psychiatric diagnostic criteria recognize a wide variety of anxiety disorders. Recent surveys have found that as many as 18% of Americans may be affected by one or more of them.[2]
The term anxiety covers four aspects of experiences an individual may have: mental apprehension, physical tension, physical symptoms and dissociative anxiety.[3] Anxiety disorder is divided into generalized anxiety disorder, phobic disorder, and panic disorder; each has its own characteristics and symptoms and they require different treatment (Gelder et al. 2005). The emotions present in anxiety disorders range from simple nervousness to bouts of terror (Barker 2003).
Standardized screening clinical questionnaires such as the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale or the Zung Self-Rating Anxiety Scale can be used to detect anxiety symptoms, and suggest the need for a formal diagnostic assessment of anxiety disorder.[4]

That's what anxiety disorder is... and here is but one example of it

Posttraumatic stress disorder[note 1] (PTSD) is a severe anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to any event that results in psychological trauma.[1][2][3] This event may involve the threat of death to oneself or to someone else, or to one's own or someone else's physical, sexual, or psychological integrity,[1] overwhelming the individual's ability to cope. As an effect of psychological trauma, PTSD is less frequent and more enduring than the more commonly seen post traumatic stress (also known as acute stress response)[4] . Diagnostic symptoms for PTSD include re-experiencing the original trauma(s) through flashbacks or nightmares, avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma, and increased arousal—such as difficulty falling or staying asleep, anger, and hypervigilance. Formal diagnostic criteria (both DSM-IV-TR and ICD-10) require that the symptoms last more than one month and cause significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.[1]

Is that just fancy talk for wussitis? :dunno:

Some people have BAD attacks of "anxiety" but ya, the term is being over used and made a lesser meaning by all the things that get covered by it.

Unless you have had a real anxiety attack you can not even begin to image what it can do to you.

You have a hard time breathing, you have a hard time thinking, you have a desire to flee that is almost and can be overwhelming, or it can root you to the spot your in. It can cause you to panic and do irrational things. It can cause you physical pain. Those are just the easy parts.

I've seen anxiety attacks that had the sufferer throwing up and experiencing severe diarrhea such that he ended up in the emergency room with dehydration.

Uncle Ferd says, "Yea, dat's why women shouldn't be workin' outside the home - `cause it stresses `em too much...
:cool:
Bad news stories 'alter women's stress response'
10 October 2012 - Are women affected by the news more than men?
Bad news stories, such as those about murder, seem to alter the way women respond to stressful situations, according to a small study. Women produced more stress hormones in tests if they had read negative newspaper stories. The study on 60 people, published in the journal PLoS One, showed there was no equivalent effect in men. Experts said the findings showed "fascinating" differences between the sexes. Researchers in Canada compiled newspaper clippings of negative stories, including accidents and murders, as well as neutral stories such as film premieres.

Men and women read either negative or neutral stories and then did a scientific stress test. Levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, were measured throughout the study. One of the researchers, Marie-France Marin, from the University of Montreal, said: "Although the news stories alone did not increase stress levels, they did make the women more reactive, affecting their physiological responses to later stressful situations." Men's cortisol levels were not affected. She added: "It's difficult to avoid the news, considering the multitude of news sources out there. "And what if all that news was bad for us? It certainly looks like that could be the case."

'Gender puzzle'

The scientists suggested that women may be naturally better at identifying threats to their children, which affects the way they respond to stress.

Professor Terrie Moffitt, from the institute of psychiatry at King's College London, said: "According to self-report studies, women say they are more 'stress reactive' on average than men. "This study adds fascinating new evidence of change in a stress hormone after an experimental... challenge. "Stress researchers confront a real gender puzzle: As a group, women seem more reactive to stressors, but then they go on to outlive men by quite a few years. "How do women manage to neutralise the effects of stress on their cardiovascular systems? An answer to that question would improve health for all of us." Other experts warned that the study was small so the reported effect would need further testing.

BBC News - Bad news stories 'alter women's stress response'

Anxiety is having to poop really really bad, waiting for a stall at a public place, finally getting to the pot, dropping your pants and the load only to discover that there is no toilet paper. That is ANXIETY.

Anxiety is often triggered by stress in our lives. Some of us are more vulnerable to anxiety than others, but even those who become anxious easily can learn to manage it well. Mild anxiety is vague and unsettling, while severe anxiety can be extremely debilitating, having a serious impact on daily life.

Real anxiety is one thing, and my heart goes out to those so badly stressed.

But then there are others that have "anxiety," not because they're wusses, but because they're controlling attention whores.

If you've never experienced anxiety you must not have a very busy life at all.

Anxiety is a psychological and physiological state characterized by somatic, emotional, cognitive, and behavioral components.

Adults abused as kids at a higher risk of becoming aggressive...
:confused:
Study: Adolescent Stress Could Lead to Adult Aggression
January 17, 2013 - It's well known that adults abused as children frequently exhibit violent behavior. Now a new study with laboratory rats suggests a direct link between stress in childhood and brain alterations that may explain the violence.
Swiss researchers have found evidence that neurological changes apparently caused by abusive or stressful events in an individual's early life might trigger aggressive behavior in adulthood. Scientists at the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne or EPFL in Switzerland investigated the effects of psychological stress in 43 young rats. Study co-author Guillaume Poirier says they found that the rat pups which were exposed to frightening situations during their early development, were more aggressive as adults than normal rats.

When he and his colleagues studied electrical activity in the stressed rodents’ brains, comparing them to the brains of normal rodents, Poirier says they found significant differences in two regions of the brain associated with aggressive behavior -- the amygdala and orbitofrontal cortex: “One can think of the amygdala as a sort of a quote-end-quote hot spot for emotion, and the orbitofrontal cortex is part of more so-called executive decisional processes,” Poirier said.

Poirier says there was a decrease in the activity of the orbitofrontal cortex, which normally has a calming effect in stressful situations, helping individuals reason their way through negative emotions. In the rat models, researchers also identified changes in the activity of two genes that pre-dispose humans to aggressive emotions.

One of those genes, called MAOA, was more active in the stressed rats’ prefrontal cortex. Poirier says drugs known as MAOA inhibitors -- which are used to treat depression in humans -- soothed the rats' aggressive and anti-social behavior. “And, in fact, when we administered this drug to the individuals (rats) that were more aggressive, it normalized their behavior, suggesting that it’s not that if you’ve experienced these early life events, that’s it - that you are into a single track of emotional disturbances and mayhem,” Poirier said. An article on the impact of youthful stress on aggressive adult behavior is published in the journal Translational Psychiatry.

Study: Adolescent Stress Could Lead to Adult Aggression

Forum List

Back