What is a proper waiting period.

For in-person purchases:
Present a valid carry permit...go home with a gun.

Do not have a carry permit? Go home with a gun.

There is no need for a waiting period.

There is a brief waiting period inherent in on-line and mail order weapons. You have to wait until it arrives.

Good point. Crazy people should have immediate access to weapons.
1-A waiting period is not likely to reveal mental illness.
2-People that go "crazy" after living quietly in various neighborhoods (it is generally a surprise to most people around them...they appeared so normal) often have owned guns for a long period of time

You people that blame guns for the criminal acts committed with them are COMPLETELY off base and misguided. Your attempts to make them harder to get or to completely ban them do absolutely NOTHING toward decreasing gun violence. As a matter of fact, the no-gun zones are more dangerous than they would be licensed carriers were permitted to carry there. I say do away with no-carry zones. Put up warnings that say "if you have a gun on your person, you must have a valid permit to carry it...else you will go to jail, lose your gun and pay a big fine."

In my state illegal concealed carry is a traffic ticket. The officer may or may not confiscate the weapon. It is his discretion.

It's a crock where I live.
I'm always told the background check could take anywhere from zero minutes to 3 days. Never once has the dealer made the call and came back and said, "you're good to go". I always end up having to go back to pick up my purchase a day or two later.
I have in the past bought a purchase permit which is supposed to make me "good to go" for a year but the thought of buying a piece of paper so that I can then make the purchase I'm interested in so rubs me the wrong way that I've not purchased another one.

If all they're doing is a simple background check and since THEY(government) are the ones requiring the check, it would seem they should be responsible for creating an efficient process which does not impede commerce.

If we can sign on tens of thousands of new IRS agents to enforce some healthcare power grab (WTF???) without batting an eye, I'm guessing someone could come up with a better system than we currently have for obtaining an item our constitution specifically tells the government to stay out of the way over.

There is no way waiting even two weeks is going to make a mental case suddenly less mental, so as is the case with all restrictions on firearms, only those of us who don't run around killing people are affected.

It's a crock where I live.
I'm always told the background check could take anywhere from zero minutes to 3 days. Never once has the dealer made the call and came back and said, "you're good to go". I always end up having to go back to pick up my purchase a day or two later.
I have in the past bought a purchase permit which is supposed to make me "good to go" for a year but the thought of buying a piece of paper so that I can then make the purchase I'm interested in so rubs me the wrong way that I've not purchased another one.

If all they're doing is a simple background check and since THEY(government) are the ones requiring the check, it would seem they should be responsible for creating an efficient process which does not impede commerce.

If we can sign on tens of thousands of new IRS agents to enforce some healthcare power grab (WTF???) without batting an eye, I'm guessing someone could come up with a better system than we currently have for obtaining an item our constitution specifically tells the government to stay out of the way over.

There is no way waiting even two weeks is going to make a mental case suddenly less mental, so as is the case with all restrictions on firearms, only those of us who don't run around killing people are affected.

The Obama admin is intentionally taking its time and falsely denying purchases.

Of the thousands that were recently denied less then 50 were on target.

Yet democrats had no issue in transferring weapons to known felons to help out the drug cartels.

For in-person purchases:
Present a valid carry permit...go home with a gun.

Do not have a carry permit? Go home with a gun.

There is no need for a waiting period.

There is a brief waiting period inherent in on-line and mail order weapons. You have to wait until it arrives.

2-People that go "crazy" after living quietly in various neighborhoods (it is generally a surprise to most people around them...they appeared so normal) often have owned guns for a long period of time

You people that blame guns for the criminal acts committed with them are COMPLETELY off base and misguided. Your attempts to make them harder to get or to completely ban them do absolutely NOTHING toward decreasing gun violence. As a matter of fact, the no-gun zones are more dangerous than they would be licensed carriers were permitted to carry there. I say do away with no-carry zones. Put up warnings that say "if you have a gun on your person, you must have a valid permit to carry it...else you will go to jail, lose your gun and pay a big fine."

We make exceptions for our rights all the time in this country.

Everyone can marry, except for gays.
Everyone can vote, except for felons.
Everyone can speak freely, except when they lie.
Everyone can get an abortion, except those who wait a few months.

And I'm not even saying that someone with a history of mental illness shouldn't get a gun. All I'm saying is, maybe we don't make it as easy as possible for them to get a weapon that can kill 100 people in under 5 minutes.

And I'm not even saying that someone with a history of mental illness shouldn't get a gun. All I'm saying is, maybe we don't make it as easy as possible for them to get a weapon that can kill 100 people in under 5 minutes.

How is it as easy as possible when we added Nics to the system?

I could vote for more control of the mentally ill and criminals

Whatcha got in mind?

I'd say we tie it to the waiting period of abortion......lets see how serious people are about life....eh? Because I know a gun purchase MIGHT end up with a dead person, I KNOW an abortion will

There is no waiting period now. You go to a gun show and apparently, you can walk out with a small arsenal.

The upshot is that the same dissident factions that tell you "If you ban guns, criminals will be able to get them" are the ones insisting on maintaining these gun show loopholes.

There is no waiting period now. You go to a gun show and apparently, you can walk out with a small arsenal.

The upshot is that the same dissident factions that tell you "If you ban guns, criminals will be able to get them" are the ones insisting on maintaining these gun show loopholes.

False, Have you ever been to a gun show?

Only from an individual and not an FFL.

Most law abiding gun owners would support, no welcome providing access to NCIS checks for private sales. But anti-gunners have no credibility with respect to the rights of the law abiding and are not trusted.

I could vote for more control of the mentally ill and criminals

Whatcha got in mind?

Off the top of my head, I would say a simple psych consultation. The psychiatrist would not be allowed to prevent you from getting the gun, but if it was glaringly obvious you were going to use it illegally, the police could be put on notice.

Gun Show: Undercover - YouTube

In order for a waiting period to pass Constitutional muster, the jurisdiction in question must be able to provide documented evidence justifying curtailing a civil right.

I am unaware of any such evidence.

Both the Virginia Tech and Colorado suspects were subjected to a waiting period, for example – absent the desired results.

That a waiting period seems reasonable or effictive doesn’t make it so, it’s only what the state can document.

Currently there are no cases pending challenging the constitutionality of waiting periods, nor am I aware of any pending complaints to be filed. The courts seem satisfied to leave such decisions to local communities.

Restrictions on civil liberties must also be consistently applied, as one is not required to wait a specified period of time to give a speech or engage in any other form of protected expression. That guns are perceived to be dangerous does not mitigate this requirement, as a right may not be preempted simply because someone might abuse that right.

What is a proper waiting period. ZERO Days.....
The waiting period was initially called a cooling off period.
This assumes that everyone going in to buy a weapon has a vendetta to settle.
The waiting period was to let the person cool off so gun play would not ensue.
So the waiting period is set on a bad assumption to start with.
People can be verified almost instantly at this point so there is no need for a waiting period.
Besides, if a person really wanted to off another person with a weapon, they could easily buy a shotgun with no waiting period. So what is the point anyway?

Gun Show: Undercover - YouTube

SeattleGuns.NET

IN MY STATE YOU MUST BE A MEMBER OR TAKE IT OUTSIDE.

I have provided a link to private sales. You should learn the difference.

What is the proper waiting period? Long enough to do a thorough background check.

Forum List

Back