What is a proper waiting period.

I never suggested one question. You did. I said "talk to". There's a difference.

But you don't care. You've already shown disdain for a rational attempt to limit mentally ill people from freely acquiring guns. I think your opinion is clear on the subject.

The mentally ill are already barred from buying firearms. Your problem is you think you should get to randomly decide who is and who is not competent. The law is clear. Mental incompetence must be officially declared by a competent authority, usually a Judge.

Right. And when does the judge decide that? When a person goes to buy a gun? No.

So, if we don't want the mentally ill buying guns, why are we not checking for mentally ill people who are buying guns? That's my point.

The procedures for declaring someone mentally incompetent vary from State to State but all require evidence, some kind of action on the part of the accused and proper legal action by the State. None of which occurs at a gun shop in the few minutes it takes to legally purchase a firearm.

Put the fucking crazies back in assylum.....problem solved.

Or treat them, but either way none of you want to even check!!

Let me get this right.... you want to prevent law abiding citizens from exercising their 2nd amendment rights by requiring some kind of unconstitutional invasion of privacy, violation of 4th and 5th Amendment rights when buying weapons, BUT god damn it no ID to vote?

These Amendments are to be ignored because you want to violate the 2nd Amendment?

4th Amendment.

Fourth Amendment | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

5th Amendment

Fifth Amendment | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

6th Amendment.

Sixth Amendment | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

You are aware that the number of legally acquired guns used in mass shootings is so small a number as to be statistically negligible.

That the incidents of people that go off the deep end like the shooter in Colorado are so small as to be meaningless?

You would violate every persons right to the 2nd Amendment by violating their 4th, 5th and 6th amendment rights because some body might go off the deep end. An event that almost never happens.

What do you feel should be the proper waiting period to buy a gun.
1- 3 days
2- 5 days
3- 7 days
4- 9 days

For in-person purchases:
Present a valid carry permit...go home with a gun.

Do not have a carry permit? Go home with a gun.

There is no need for a waiting period.

There is a brief waiting period inherent in on-line and mail order weapons. You have to wait until it arrives.

Good point. Crazy people should have immediate access to weapons.

If I catch my wife with another man, why should I have to wait to buy the gun to shoot both of them?

If my meds run out and I start hearing voices advising me to defend myself, why should I have to wait to buy my gun?

Yea I can see where not having a waiting period will be real good.

What do you feel should be the proper waiting period to buy a gun.
1- 3 days
2- 5 days
3- 7 days
4- 9 days

For in-person purchases:
Present a valid carry permit...go home with a gun.

Do not have a carry permit? Go home with a gun.

There is no need for a waiting period.

There is a brief waiting period inherent in on-line and mail order weapons. You have to wait until it arrives.

Lee Harvey Oswald needed his gun yesterday.
James Earl Ray needed his gun yesterday.
Sirhan Sirhan needed his gun yesterday.
Squeaky Fromme needed her gun yesterday.
John Hinkley Jr. needed his gun yesterday.
Major Nadal Hassan needed his gun yesterday.
Jared Laughner needed his gun yesterday.

John and Mary Q Public must wait for their firearms to protect themselves.

None of those people bought their guns the day of the shooting.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
If I catch my wife with another man, why should I have to wait to buy the gun to shoot both of them?

What gun did O.J. Simpson use?

If my meds run out and I start hearing voices advising me to defend myself, why should I have to wait to buy my gun?

Did the Son of Sam buy his gun less than two weeks before he killed?

Yea I can see where not having a waiting period will be real good.

Too bad for you that real life doesn't follow along with your plan for your liberal utopia.

It cannot be said enough: Thank God for the NRA.

Forum List

Back