What is a libertarian?

But lets move on, Bripat.

Would you say that every nation on earth has laws protecting their citizens against monopolies?

Have Libertariantards figured out something that the entirety of world history and civilization has missed?

Every nation on Earth has laws that impose legal monopolies on their citizens. No one needs protection from natural monopolies because they are impossible. No government has ever prosecuted a company that was a natural monopoly.

Plenty of oil companies make billions drilling in deep water, so your chart proves no such thing.

The Arabs have a dramatic per barrel cost advantage of extracting oil vis-a-vis the competition. You are embarassing yourself.

Yet, other producers still manage to compete with them and make a profit.

You are spinning. You wanted me to show you how a monopoly COULD keep a player out of the market by making the marginal product entry unprofitable.

I showed you how and why.

Would you say that every nation on earth has laws protecting their citizens against monopolies?

Have Libertariantards figured out something that the entirety of world history and civilization has missed?

Every nation on Earth has laws that impose legal monopolies on their citizens. No one needs protection from natural monopolies because they are impossible. No government has ever prosecuted a company that was a natural monopoly.

LOL

You are a hopeless ideologue who chooses to simply ignore facts when presented to you.

Every nation on Earth has laws that impose legal monopolies on their citizens.

So do Libertariantards think the entire experience of world history and culture has it wrong about how to handle monopolies?

The Arabs have a dramatic per barrel cost advantage of extracting oil vis-a-vis the competition. You are embarassing yourself.

You are spinning. You wanted me to show you how a monopoly COULD keep a player out of the market by making the marginal product entry unprofitable.

You showed no such thing. All your chart indicates is that different resources have different costs. When has that ever not been true for any commodity? Just take wheat, for example. Do you imagine every wheat farmer has the exact same cost of production per bushel? Obviously not. On good land with exactly the correct amount of rainfall, wheat is cheap to produce. On poor land that requires irrigation, wheat is expensive to grow. Does the farmer with the best land drive all the others out of the market? No, because the demand for wheat is larger than the amount he can produce. The demand for wheat drives the price up until the quantity grown matches the quantity demanded. That means even farms on poor soil and still operate at a profit.

You claim to understand economics, but everything you post indicates otherwise.

So do Libertariantards think the entire experience of world history and culture has it wrong about how to handle monopolies?

Yeah, pretty much. Most of what people understand about economics is bullshit. Politicians have been bamboozling them for thousands of years.

I would be curious to know what you think of patent law and intellectual property rights, Bripat.

Should there be any such laws / protections afforded inventors / producers / citizens?

Should Edison have been the only one permitted to make lightbulbs forever, or should all competitiors be permitted to copy the invention starting day one?

You showed no such thing. All your chart indicates is that different resources have different costs.

Give up. I showed you how the ARAB suppliers had an insurmountable production cost advantage, your willful ignorance notwithstanding.

If you insist on making an ass out of yourself....

Industries with a natural monopoly

Such a process happened in the water industry in nineteenth century Britain. Up until the mid-nineteenth century'

Natural monopoly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll have to excuse me if I don't accept Wikipedia as a reliable source.

Is it your contention, then, that there was no canal and water industry natural monopolies in Britain in the 18th century?

Did Egypt have a monopoly on corn in Joseph's day?

Corn didn't exist in Egypt in Joseph's day.

As I explained previously, your definition of a "monopoly" is where some firm builds a piece of infrastructure that people find beneficial. According to this definition, every car wash is a "monopoly" since it's the only one in a given area. It's a nonsensical definition.

Finding all sort of 'natural monopolies' before 1890.

Glasglow coal monopoly - several hundred years

Coal was mined in numerous locations in Britain, so how could Glasgow have a monopoly?

A simple Google search of the Glasglow coal monopoly would give you the details on the well-documented monopoly which you are forced to pretend did not exist.

Hilarious!

You showed no such thing. All your chart indicates is that different resources have different costs.

Give up. I showed you how the ARAB suppliers had an insurmountable production cost advantage, your willful ignorance notwithstanding.

If it's "insurmountable," then how do Exxon, BP, Shell and Conoco stay in business?

You'll have to excuse me if I don't accept Wikipedia as a reliable source.

Is it your contention, then, that there was no canal and water industry natural monopolies in Britain in the 18th century?

You are a fool. We are done here.

'Joseph in Egypt

Money with a hoarding tax was already introduced by Joseph when he was viceroy of Egypt. When the pharaoh had dreams about seven fat cows being eaten by seven lean cows and seven full ears of corn being devoured by seven thin and blasted ears of corn, Joseph explained the dreams to the pharaoh. He told the pharao that seven good years would come and after that seven bad years would follow. Joseph advised the Egyptians to store food on a large scale. They followed his advise and built storehouses for food. In this way Egypt survived the seven years of scarcity.'

Natural money: the most efficient monetary system - OpenGov - Open Government Brainstorm - by IdeaScale

Finding all sort of 'natural monopolies' before 1890.

Glasglow coal monopoly - several hundred years

Coal was mined in numerous locations in Britain, so how could Glasgow have a monopoly?

A simple Google search of the Glasglow coal monopoly would give you the details on the well-documented monopoly which you are forced to pretend did not exist.

Hilarious!

I did the search. I saw a Wikipedia page that mentioned "Glasgow coal monopoly," but that was it. No details.

Where can I find these details? How can Glasgow have a monopoly on coal when it was mined in numerous other British cities?

'Joseph in Egypt

Money with a hoarding tax was already introduced by Joseph when he was viceroy of Egypt. When the pharaoh had dreams about seven fat cows being eaten by seven lean cows and seven full ears of corn being devoured by seven thin and blasted ears of corn, Joseph explained the dreams to the pharaoh. He told the pharao that seven good years would come and after that seven bad years would follow. Joseph advised the Egyptians to store food on a large scale. They followed his advise and built storehouses for food. In this way Egypt survived the seven years of scarcity.'

Natural money: the most efficient monetary system - OpenGov - Open Government Brainstorm - by IdeaScale

Corn was created in the Western Hemisphere. It couldn't be found anywhere in the Eastern Hemisphere until after Columbus discovered America. Simply look up the history of corn, if you don't believe it.

I would be curious to know what you think of patent law and intellectual property rights, Bripat.

Should there be any such laws / protections afforded inventors / producers / citizens?

Should Edison have been the only one permitted to make lightbulbs forever, or should all competitiors be permitted to copy the invention starting day one?

That's a complex subject. Libertarians have differing views on it.

That's a complex subject. Libertarians have differing views on it.

Do you believe in government supported monopolies, or not?

'Joseph in Egypt

Corn was created in the Western Hemisphere.

Ah, I see where your ignorance lies. No, we are not talking about the corn varieties they grow in Nebraska. Expand your mind.

Forum List

Back