What is a friend?

I don't have a lot of friends, more like acquaintances. But some of them I thought I was closer to. I was really surprised that when My sister committed suicide this past June some of the people I thought I was close to didn't even give me condolences but people online who are total strangers sent me PM's and very helpful thoughts and ideas to help me cope.

I think I have more friends online then I do offline. :dunno:

My condolences on the loss of your sister. Are you coping or do you still need support? Sometimes there is a delayed onset of emotion when it comes to the loss of a close relative. It is also one of the most stressful events anyone can have. Please feel free to reach out if you find yourself lost and don't know where to turn.

Take care
DT

Thanks, there has been some great people at this board who have PMed and it was helpful.

Plus I went to a therapist to talk about it to.

I had three deaths this past year in my family, My cousin in oct 2012, my dad jan 2013 and my sister june 2013.

But my sister was the hardest one because it was suicide and because I have a lot of guilt that I wasn't there for her.

People always say things about the internet like it's not real life but I have found people online to be more real and kind and compassionate then those offline.

Sometime people online can be more cruel to, but in the instance of the deaths I've had, people online by far have been much more compassionate then offline.

It's really been an eye-opener to me.

:cool:

That is alot for one person to endure in such a short time, Drifter. I am keeping you in my prayers and tonight when some brothers come over for a meeting with my husband and I we are going to join in prayer to specifically pray for you. I'm going to ask them that we leave off everything else and focus on lifting you up that the Lord may bring great comfort to you tonight. I know you are very precious to him and he saw how you reached out to others in their pain - such as Lovebears and Chuck.. truly you have a very loving heart.

- Jeri

I don't have a lot of friends, more like acquaintances. But some of them I thought I was closer to. I was really surprised that when My sister committed suicide this past June some of the people I thought I was close to didn't even give me condolences but people online who are total strangers sent me PM's and very helpful thoughts and ideas to help me cope.

I think I have more friends online then I do offline. :dunno:

I think many of us have experienced that awful revelation, where those we thought were friends, turned out not to be. It is almost as heartbreaking as the the event that occurred, when we needed them and thought they would be there, for us. It was a good life lesson. I learned to lower my expectations, so there won't be a repeat.

I am very sorry for your loss, drifter, as I am sure the suicide of a loved one, would be one of the hardest despairs to live with, and recover from, if ever. (((d)))

It was really surprising to me. Some people have avoided me like it's contagious that my sister died.

It's just weird.

I'm sorry for all you have gone through. A tragedy in your life shows you who your friends really are. Those that are willing to be there in the tough times and help you no matter what and who will be there for you no matter what are true friends and also very rare.

My condolences on the loss of your sister. Are you coping or do you still need support? Sometimes there is a delayed onset of emotion when it comes to the loss of a close relative. It is also one of the most stressful events anyone can have. Please feel free to reach out if you find yourself lost and don't know where to turn.

Take care
DT

Thanks, there has been some great people at this board who have PMed and it was helpful.

I had three deaths this past year in my family, My cousin in oct 2012, my dad jan 2013 and my sister june 2013.

But my sister was the hardest one because it was suicide and because I have a lot of guilt that I wasn't there for her.

People always say things about the internet like it's not real life but I have found people online to be more real and kind and compassionate then those offline.

Sometime people online can be more cruel to, but in the instance of the deaths I've had, people online by far have been much more compassionate then offline.

That is alot for one person to endure in such a short time, Drifter. I am keeping you in my prayers and tonight when some brothers come over for a meeting with my husband and I we are going to join in prayer to specifically pray for you. I'm going to ask them that we leave off everything else and focus on lifting you up that the Lord may bring great comfort to you tonight. I know you are very precious to him and he saw how you reached out to others in their pain - such as Lovebears and Chuck.. truly you have a very loving heart.

- Jeri

Thanks Jeri.

I hope I can be there for other people at this board if they need a shoulder to lean on virtually.

I think many of us have experienced that awful revelation, where those we thought were friends, turned out not to be. It is almost as heartbreaking as the the event that occurred, when we needed them and thought they would be there, for us. It was a good life lesson. I learned to lower my expectations, so there won't be a repeat.

I am very sorry for your loss, drifter, as I am sure the suicide of a loved one, would be one of the hardest despairs to live with, and recover from, if ever. (((d)))

It was really surprising to me. Some people have avoided me like it's contagious that my sister died.

It's just weird.

I'm sorry for all you have gone through. A tragedy in your life shows you who your friends really are. Those that are willing to be there in the tough times and help you no matter what and who will be there for you no matter what are true friends and also very rare.

That's really true, just like Aqua said, it can be so surprising and disappointing. But then the ones who are there for you, you just never forget that.

I think a friend is not just defined by commonalities, but also by endurance and willingness to stick it out in tough times for each other.

- Jeri

Thanks Jeri.

I hope I can be there for other people at this board if they need a shoulder to lean on virtually.

You have made it this far so you have the strength to keep going one day at a time. As you so rightly pointed out we are your virtual shoulder to lean on. At some time in the future you will have the opportunity to pay it forward. :)

Peace
DT

It's just weird.

That's really true, just like Aqua said, it can be so surprising and disappointing. But then the ones who are there for you, you just never forget that.

I think a friend is not just defined by commonalities, but also by endurance and willingness to stick it out in tough times for each other.

Many years ago when I was a young girl I was kidnapped at gunpoint and raped. I wanted to talk to my one of my brothers about this as I was in deep grief over the matter - and he said to me, do not tell me this bad news - I don't want to hear anything that is bad news and this was the same response from my mother also.. it was very hard to bear that and it was long before I was estranged from my family or gave my life to Christ. When Aqua said that and you pointed it out it reminded me of that happening in my own life - although now it does feel as if I am speaking of another person because I no longer feel anything about it. It is as if the sorrow of all of that has taken wings and flew far away from me now..

perhaps it will help to tell you, drifter, there are people in the world I do not say they are bad - but they cannot deal with matters that are this intense - it is as if the reality of such things is too much for them to bear and so we accept this and that sometimes the people God will bring into our lives to comfort us may not necessarily be family members but even strangers! This has been a constant theme in my own life and I am no longer surprised as to who God will use to minister to me, counsel me, comfort me, give me a timely word ( which he speaks through the person to me - not usually a christian either! ha! ) rebuke or correct me on a matter.. it is whoesover God chooses and He always chooses the right ones. He loves you and he will always send you something better than what you would have chosen for yourself. He moves in mysterious ways....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back