What If a Nuke Was Set To Explode Tomorrow ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another great reason why we no longer do it - Puts OUR guys and our national security at risk.
You are diverging from the topic >>

1. live in a country that tortures people

VS

2. Allow millions of Americans to die violently, when they could have been saved.

List the actionable intelligence gained from the Bush torture program.

Just one example please
Did it use blow torches, wood chippers, or skin peeling ? If not, you're talking apples and oranges.

These conservatives all claim it is necessary when we do it

They don’t care if it is used on our sons or daughters to extract information
It's a matter of quantities. A nuke in NYC could kill 8 million+ people. Get it ?

Would/should we allow millions of fellow Americans to be incinerated and radiated by this monstrous event

Yes. After all, it would be only mostly Leftist Obama apologists and Hillary supporters lost in NYC, you know, the very people who vote for open borders, sanctuary cities and to protect undocumented immigrants and foreigners bringing in such bombs and committing such acts in the first place!, and yes, because what better way to vindicate the foolishness of people who vote against water-boarding, torture, and gun laws to end up suffering at the hands of their own fate they themselves chose?

The ultimate...What if?

It becomes an excuse for all those who engage in torture to excuse barbarism

I was only torturing to save lives

Same reason our pilots were tortured
FALSE! The hypothetical of the OP is only what it is, not extending to other scenarios. Each scenario is its own specific case, determined by its own specific condition.
What are the excuses for torture?

I am only doing it to save lives
They are less human than we are
They deserve it
It is not really torture

Yes. After all, it would be only mostly Leftist Obama apologists and Hillary supporters lost in NYC, you know, the very people who vote for open borders, sanctuary cities and to protect undocumented immigrants and foreigners!, and yes, because what better way to vindicate the foolishness of people who vote against water-boarding, torture, and gun laws to end up suffering at the hands of their own fate they themselves chose?
I hope you're being sarcastic. Liberal loonies aren't the only people in New York City. I was born and raised there. There plenty of Archie Bunkers, Ann Coulters, and President Trump himself was born and raised and still lives there.

I also served in the NY Army National Guard, stationed in NYC, and there's a dozen other armories there + tens of thousand of heroic (proved by 9-11) NYPD and NYFD folks.

What are the excuses for torture?

I am only doing it to save lives
They are less human than we are
They deserve it
It is not really torture

th

AGAIN, for the 20th time >>
You are diverging from the topic >>

1. preserve rights of one terrorist

VS

2. Allow millions of Americans to die violently, when they could have been saved.

Why set the bar at nukes?

Why not ALL bombs? That is more likely to kill innocent civilians than a nuke is.

So what if your enemy is bombing the shit out of you and killing hundreds of thousands of civilians

What should you do with the pilots you capture? They are war criminals. Dropping napalm on civilians, bombing hospitals and schools, bombing civilian areas

Shouldn’t they be tortured so that you can punish their war crimes and find ways to stop them?

Why not ALL bombs? That is more likely to kill innocent civilians than a nuke is.

So what if your enemy is bombing the shit out of you and killing hundreds of thousands of civilians

What should you do with the pilots you capture? They are war criminals. Dropping napalm on civilians, bombing hospitals and schools, bombing civilian areas

Shouldn’t they be tortured so that you can punish their war crimes and find ways to stop them?
START YOUR OWN THREAD - and stop changing the subject and TOPIC of this one.

And while we're at it....what would be YOUR "EXCUSE" for Allowing millions of Americans to die violently, when they could have been saved ?

Answer ?

START YOUR OWN THREAD - and stop changing the subject and TOPIC of this one.

And while we're at it....what would be YOUR "EXCUSE" for Allowing millions of Americans to die violently, when they could have been saved ?

Answer ?
This IS the topic
When is it proper to torture?
I say never

Because if you are justified to torture that terrorist over a nuke, others are JUST AS JUSTIFIED to torture our pilots who napalm civilians, firebomb cities, bomb hospitals, carpet bomb civilian neighborhoods, destroy dams

I do not want our pilots, soldiers and sailors TORTURED

Yes. After all, it would be only mostly Leftist Obama apologists and Hillary supporters lost in NYC, you know, the very people who vote for open borders, sanctuary cities and to protect undocumented immigrants and foreigners!, and yes, because what better way to vindicate the foolishness of people who vote against water-boarding, torture, and gun laws to end up suffering at the hands of their own fate they themselves chose?
I hope you're being sarcastic. Liberal loonies aren't the only people in New York City. I was born and raised there. There plenty of Archie Bunkers, Ann Coulters, and President Trump himself was born and raised and still lives there.

I also served in the NY Army National Guard, stationed in NYC, and there's a dozen other armories there + tens of thousand of heroic (proved by 9-11) NYPD and NYFD folks.

Of course there will always be bad and undesirable consequences in ANY war! Even if the victims are mostly people you don't like or aspire against you, it's not a good thing. So what are you saying then, your yes/no choice really has no choice at all? I'm saying that if a nuke was blown in NYC, most of the people affected by it would ironically be the very people who mostly voted against the means of having caught and stopped the terrorists making the bomb in the first place. THE POINT BEING the unintended consequences of making decisions which on the surface might seem right at the time but really weren't.

As Dick Cheney might say: never tie your own hands in a battle against an enemy. Dreamy idealism might feel noble in saying there can be no justification to water-boarding, but I bet all those hypothetical people in NYC voting that way would all suddenly find "torture" perfectly sensible and change their minds as the seconds count down to find the nuke about to blow them up.

I ask all posters to this thread to answer the following question with a YES or NO answer. Add more if desired, but please don't omit a yes or no answer.

Suppose a terrorist was captured and being interrogated by the FBI. Suppose he told the agents that a nuclear bomb was scheduled to be detonated in New York City, within 24 hours. With an estimated 2017 population of 8.6 Million, and despite being distributed over a massive land area of about 302.6 square miles, New York City is also the most densely populated major city in the United States.

If this nuclear bomb, of significant size and power, were exploded, it would kill millions of people, and be the most horrific single event in human history. And suppose the terrorist said he knew who the perpetrator was in charge of this heinous act, his location, the location of the device to be used to detonate the bomb, and how to easily disable it.

Bear in mind that torture is illegal under US law (Title 18 of US Code, Section 2340A)

So here's the question. >> Would/should we allow millions of fellow Americans to be incinerated and radiated by this monstrous event, or would/should we do whatever it takes (including torture) to get this information from this terrorist, if it's apparent that that would stop the bomb ?

YES or NO.

No.

First, as what was clearly demonstrated with Allan West, the person being tortured will tell you anything to stop the torture. So any information you got would be at best suspect, and at worst, a misdirection. Then what do you do? You’ve wasted hours, and you’re no closer to the bomb than you were. Now what? Do you return and continue torturing them?

In the Army, when I was going through training regarding being captured, we were told that if we could hold out for 24 hours, then any information we had was obsolete. As soldiers we did not have strategic information, only tactical. That information was already history by the time we would be broken.

Now, your scenario is asinine. First if you did capture a terrorist who had planted a bomb, the last thing he is going to tell you is that he planted a bomb. Stop pretending that they are dumb, or that they haven’t spent weeks or months training for this day.

9-11 should have taught you that. If not the Boston Marathon bombings would have proven the point. Pfui. They aren’t going to stop because you try and frighten them.

Finally, man portable nukes have timers. But nobody thinks the timers really work. If a target is important enough to warrant the use of a nuke, it is too important to allow someone to discover the bomb and deactivate it. The bomb would go off when the timer was activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back