What has happened to the United States?

Don’t you remember, that’s exactly how it works. They are in this global history class learning about the Mongol hordes or something and then these Paratroopers come falling out of the sky in the middle of Colorado. The history teacher has a problem with them disturbing the class and goes to talk to them, then…chuga… he gets peppered by 7.62x39mm.

I haven’t seen it since I got married (10+ years) but I still remember that plain as day, Russian paratroops right out of the sky.

Wolverines!!

In the '40s, we fought and won a global war against powerful and ambitious nations bent on world domination. They were militarily more powerful than we were, at least in the beginning. We defeated them, then helped to rebuild not only our allies, but our former enemies as well.

In the '50s, we continued the rebuilding of Europe, while building the interstate highway system. We were a net creditor nation during this time.

In the '60s, we fought the most divisive war since the civil war, we put a man on the moon, and were still a net creditor nation.

In the '70s, we survived a global economic disaster brought on by OPEC. We were a net creditor nation.

In the '80s, there was no international crisis, no major accomplishments. The savings and loan industry had to be bailed out by government to the tune of billions of dollars. There was a scandal of epic proportions in the government involving the sales of arms to an enemy of our nation. It was during that decade that we went from being a creditor nation, to being a debtor nation.

In the '90s, we saw the fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the cold war. It could be argued that we brought on that fall, or not, according to your political views. We continued as a debtor nation, while accomplishing no major domestic projects.

In the new century, we've seen the national debt baloon to over 10 trillion dollars, the interstate highway system built in the '50s begin to show signs of needing repair, the leves in Louisiana fail, and a bridge on a major highway collapse. The government is broke, it can't pay its obligations, and seems unable to accomplish anything of note.

What happened?

I'm starting here, without reading the posts that proceed mine. There is something reminiscent to me about what my mom used to say. "Nothing clarifies one's thinking like a challenge." She happened to be discussing religion, but I think it holds here. When actually challenged, we were at our best. When 'successful' we grew complacent. Lord knows we are going to be facing challenges, is 20 years of complacency too many?

You're confusing free trade with free trade "agreements".

Just like most people confuse our market today with a REAL free market.

chicken/egg? the act of free trade followed the legislation Paul....most of which was lobbyed by for those who would eventualy benifit from it

i must ask, in all sincerity here, do you (et all) not see the blatant greed tighening it's grip on this nation?

my good god people, selling out to satan would be an easier road...

chicken/egg? the act of free trade followed the legislation Paul....most of which was lobbyed by for those who would eventualy benifit from it

i must ask, in all sincerity here, do you (et all) not see the blatant greed tighening it's grip on this nation?

my good god people, selling out to satan would be an easier road...

Do you mean the greed of those seeking wealth in places other than America ?

I'm starting here, without reading the posts that proceed mine. There is something reminiscent to me about what my mom used to say. "Nothing clarifies one's thinking like a challenge." She happened to be discussing religion, but I think it holds here. When actually challenged, we were at our best. When 'successful' we grew complacent. Lord knows we are going to be facing challenges, is 20 years of complacency too many?

I don't know, but if a challenge is what it takes to clarify our thinking, then our national thought process is about to get a whole lot more clear.

I don't know, but if a challenge is what it takes to clarify our thinking, then our national thought process is about to get a whole lot more clear.

Ain't that the truth---an economic summit with a bunch of European finance ministers, the UN, the World Bank and the IMF ?? :eek:

Do you mean the greed of those seeking wealth in places other than America ?

well Wall street is our best example dilloduck, yet it exists as such because main street also subscribes to the smile as you kill to live on the hill brand of capitalism....

they've sold us on globalisation being trickle down economics, yet it appears to look more like a life style equalizer

they've sold us on deregulation in the same sense, yet it appears without anyone at the helm ,the good ship capitalism takes on water in heavy swells with little note to the occupants in the lower decks...

our foriegn policy is fairly bias with an eye for $$$ as well....

it was supposed to be by the people for the people here, not me the $$$, for the $$$....

it was suppose to be liberty and justice for all, not liberty and justice for a $$$

it was suppose to be united we stand, not only $$$ can

You're confusing free trade with free trade "agreements".

No I am not confused, but the terminology is confusing for sure, (and on purpose, too)

I am talking about the philosophically based movement that resulted in those so called free trade agreements, yes.

Paul, free trade (as currently practiced) is disasterous for this nation's economy.

No other nation I can think of practices free trade.

But you are right that we no more have FREE TRADE than we have a FREE market.

Such beasties cannot really exist in this world, any more than pure communist can exist, pure liberopia can exist or heaven can exist on earth.

No I am not confused, but the terminology is confusing for sure, (and on purpose, too)

I am talking about the philosophically based movement that resulted in those so called free trade agreements, yes.

Paul, free trade (as currently practiced) is disasterous for this nation's economy.

No other nation I can think of practices free trade.

But you are right that we no more have FREE TRADE than we have a FREE market.

Such beasties cannot really exist in this world, any more than pure communist can exist, pure liberopia can exist or heaven can exist on earth.

Our current free trade agreements are an insult to free trade as a whole. They undermine our sovereignty, and they are ultimately counter-productive.

True free trade would be FINE, if we didn't cease to be a producer/creditor nation.

Our current free trade agreements are an insult to free trade as a whole. They undermine our sovereignty, and they are ultimately counter-productive.

True free trade would be FINE, if we didn't cease to be a producer/creditor nation.

Well let's hope they are nice to us at the Economic Summit !

Forum List

Back