What happens when you make people work for food stamps!

Mommy, I'm hungry.

Tough shit kid. I ain't gettin' no job!

If you bothered to read the article, the program only applies to abled bodied adults with no children.
And you assume that jobs are infinite/these "work requirements" actually do something useful.

Well let me tell you, I'm a truck driver and this year alone, we need over 60,000 new drivers that industry can't find. When I go to industrial areas, I see countless sign after sign on companies that are looking for help. Go back three weeks later, the signs are still posted.

So the question is are these programs there for the truly indigent, or are people using them as an option to working?

Ray is absolutely right. There are all kinds of truck driving jobs available all over the United States. Even people in rural areas can drive for the big national companies. These are really good paying jobs too. I have some nephews who have been driving for years and they have moved around wherever they wanted to and gotten new jobs wherever they moved to. They make doggone good money too.

It's just like going into the military to get a trade or college education. Just too many young people do not want to do any little thing for themselves. They simply cannot abide the though of joining the military or driving a truck and being away from home a few days. Poor damn dependency syndrome.

"Work requirements" are a disastrous policy. First of all, the "programs" meant to help people get jobs who aren't currently employed aren't doing well, at all. In fact, it's absolutely horrific the state these are in right now. You want to force people to get jobs? Great, support state run employment programs, but telling people they have to seek out private employment which may or may not be available or they lose their food stamps.. that's just cruel.

Cruel????????

Is these requirements cruel that Maine implemented? All you have to do is one of three.

1. Work at least 20 hours a week

Or

2. Participte in a work training program

Or

3.Volunter 24 hours out of the month

"Work requirements" are a disastrous policy. First of all, the "programs" meant to help people get jobs who aren't currently employed aren't doing well, at all. In fact, it's absolutely horrific the state these are in right now. You want to force people to get jobs? Great, support state run employment programs, but telling people they have to seek out private employment which may or may not be available or they lose their food stamps.. that's just cruel.

Cruel????????

Is these requirements cruel that Maine implemented? All you have to do is one of three.

Or

Or

I'm sure you'll be forcing businesses to guarantee employment to people.

Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement

Republican Gov. Paul LePage recently began enforcing Maine’s volunteer and work requirements for food stamp SNAP recipients to keep their benefits. The end result was more than 9,000 non-disabled adults getting dropped from the program.

The rules prevent adults who are not disabled and do not have dependents from receiving food stamps for more than three months, unless they work at least 20 hours a week, participate in a work-training program, or meet volunteer guidelines for 24 hours out of the month. Any one of those three getting met will not result in the loss of their SNAP food benefits.

Liberals have sold government dependence so deliberately well, that even doing 24 hours of approved volunteer work a month for a capable adult became too much for more than 9,000 people. If it seems like I’m parroting these numbers again and again, you must realize the implications are staggering. Who in their right mind would turn down such a deal? Actually wanting a member of society to be productive in some reasonable way shouldn’t be too hard to meet!

Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement -
Work doing what?
Republicans helped move millions of jobs to China and close over 40,000 factories under Bush. And Maine is 95% white so you can't blame it on blacks. Republicans gave tax breaks to companies moving to China. How many times have we posted the links.

So what jobs are they supposed to do after Republicans wrecked their jobs?
Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement

Republican Gov. Paul LePage recently began enforcing Maine’s volunteer and work requirements for food stamp SNAP recipients to keep their benefits. The end result was more than 9,000 non-disabled adults getting dropped from the program.

The rules prevent adults who are not disabled and do not have dependents from receiving food stamps for more than three months, unless they work at least 20 hours a week, participate in a work-training program, or meet volunteer guidelines for 24 hours out of the month. Any one of those three getting met will not result in the loss of their SNAP food benefits.

Liberals have sold government dependence so deliberately well, that even doing 24 hours of approved volunteer work a month for a capable adult became too much for more than 9,000 people. If it seems like I’m parroting these numbers again and again, you must realize the implications are staggering. Who in their right mind would turn down such a deal? Actually wanting a member of society to be productive in some reasonable way shouldn’t be too hard to meet!

Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement -
Work doing what?
Republicans helped move millions of jobs to China and close over 40,000 factories under Bush. And Maine is 95% white so you can't blame it on blacks. Republicans gave tax breaks to companies moving to China. How many times have we posted the links.

So what jobs are they supposed to do after Republicans wrecked their jobs?

The derp strikes again.
Your messiah has been president for almost eight years,it's time to stop blaming Bush.
And if these 9000 losers dont need assistance now they didnt need it then.

th

th
Ah, way to add to the discussion.

And making me go out to work everyday to help pay for these people to eat isn't cruel?

If you think work requirements are disastrous, then Google Welfare Reform by Newt Gingrich and see what the results were back then. It was very successful.
You pay a tiny percent of your taxes to the food stamps program, and every program has abuse, but we don't need to punish everybody else for it.
I know all about the welfare reform, you want to know what that really did?
Will Hillary Clinton admit that welfare reform was a failure?
The new policy had a number of enormous problems. First, TANF was not indexed to inflation, so its size is nibbled away every year. Second, TANF block-granted money to the states. This was supposedly to allow for lots of experimentation so that best practices could flourish, but as was obvious at the time, conservative states would "experiment" by cannibalizing the program. Third, it has no anti-cyclical mechanism — meaning it does not compensate for economic downturns, when there are more people out of work and needing help.

The problems were masked for awhile during the red-hot economy of the mid to late 1990s, but after that, welfare reform failed utterly. Even after the worst economic crisis in 80 years, TANF has basically ceased to exist in much of the country. Eligibility requirements have gotten so onerous, and benefit levels so miserly, that many poor people haven't even heard of the program, or think it was abolished.

AFDC did have some flaws, no doubt. But it was a modest program that put money into the hands of people who needed it: the very poor, most of them children. In the 15 years after TANF passed, the fraction of Americans living in extreme poverty increased 150 percent. (We should also note that it was argued for on explicitly racist grounds.)

Welfare reform is not just something for browbeating Hillary Clinton. It's a directly relevant issue for millions of the most hard-up Americans. Furthermore, the political context Clinton will face if she is elected president is likely to be almost identical to that of her husband in 1996: a Republican Congress, eager to slash government spending to make budget headroom for tax cuts for the rich. Only this one will be far more conservative than 20 years ago.

And as David Brooks writes, GOP presidential candidate Marco Rubio wants to block-grant basically the entire welfare state. The grotesque failure of TANF might as well be proof of concept for the right — kicking the very poor is basically what they got in the game for.

Not everybody is being punished. Look at the requirements:

After forcing these individuals to either work part-time for twenty hours each week, enroll in a vocational program, or volunteer for a minimum of twenty-four hours per month, the numbers showed a significant drop from 12,000 enrollees to just over 2,500.

This Is What Happened When Maine Forced Welfare Recipients To Work For Their Benefits ⋆ US Herald

So if you don't want to get a job, you don't have to. You just have to do volunteer work for 24 hours a month. That's less than one hour a day--easily affordable to those who just sit home watching reruns of I Dream Of Genie. And if you're worried that these people can't find a job, then enroll in a vocational program and get trained for a job.

Mommy, I'm hungry.

If you bothered to read the article, the program only applies to abled bodied adults with no children.
And you assume that jobs are infinite/these "work requirements" actually do something useful.

Well let me tell you, I'm a truck driver and this year alone, we need over 60,000 new drivers that industry can't find. When I go to industrial areas, I see countless sign after sign on companies that are looking for help. Go back three weeks later, the signs are still posted.

So the question is are these programs there for the truly indigent, or are people using them as an option to working?
Everywhere I go in Texas, oil and gas fields all have signs saying "Drivers Wanted." They can't find people with a CDL. Lots full of oil and gas tankers.

Mommy, I'm hungry.

Problem is also these people aren't qualified to do anything.

NM has jobs fairs year round for doctors, nurses, technicians, A/P,A/R,auditors,analysts,welders etc...

Yet... can't find qualified applicants with required training or work experience.
I agree they're not qualified, after all, they probably can't/couldn't afford higher education..
It takes higher education to accrue work experience in say...a business office?

NM has jobs fairs year round for doctors, nurses, technicians, A/P,A/R,auditors,analysts,welders etc...

Yet... can't find qualified applicants with required training or work experience.
I agree they're not qualified, after all, they probably can't/couldn't afford higher education..
You listed nursing, doctors, welding.. that requires some education beyond high school.

Cruel????????

Or

Or

I'm sure you'll be forcing businesses to guarantee employment to people.

Can you read ya FUCKING lazy retard?

Ya can get by with only :

Doing 24 hours of volunter work a month

If that is to hard God help us.

Well you have to take a typing class...

They can pick up trash on the side of the road until they can find gainful employment.
If they dont like it fuck em.

Mommy, I'm hungry.

Everywhere I go in Texas, oil and gas fields all have signs saying "Drivers Wanted." They can't find people with a CDL. Lots full of oil and gas tankers.

Oh, they can find people with a CDL, but just like my employer, not one that can pass a drug test. Apparently these social leeches think smoking pot is more important than working. And why not? We're feeding them.

Weird how the republicans want to punish the peons after their retarded trade deals and h1b program has gutted our manufacturing, industry and middle class like jobs.
No way . According to libs the middle class is stronger than ever.

So what happened to all those great jobs Obozo's creating every month????

After all, he says the economy is really booming, and the Libs are constantly on these boards agreeing with him...

Could it be that Democrats are compulsive liars????
he has created thousands of jobs.
In China, in Mexico, in the Middle east.
Just not here, but he has created jobs.
You're a liar if you believe the president hasn't created jobs here.
64 Straight Months Of Private Sector Job Growth | Democratic Policy & Communications Center

Than STFU and stop defending these lazy bastards.
If you are perfectly healthy and refuse to work you dont deserve government assistance.

You listed nursing, doctors, welding.. that requires some education beyond high school.
I said required training OR work experience.

You can work your way through college or trade school BTW

Forum List

Back