What happened to music and sound effects in movies?

Resnic

Diamond Member
May 2, 2021
I'd realized for a while now I never hear music in movies anymore that really stays with me, or that stands out because it really enchances the scene or overall tone of the movie. I can't remember a movie I'd seen in the past 10 years that had music grab me. Music in a movie is supposed to be as much of a part of the movie as what you see. It can help elicit desired emotions during a movie, set a stage or draw the viewer in even if they don't realize it.

Like raiders of the lost ark had some amazing music across the entire movie that really captured a sense of danger, excitement, dread and so on.

The intro was very subtle with its music but really made you feel like you were in a dangerous jungle on a dangerous adventure.

Or the truck scene was amazingly perfect.

Or music from predator is simple but was fantastic.

And I don't notice sound effects like I used to either. They are the glue that holds what youre seeing together, it gives weight to what you watch and it tickles your brain through your ears while you watch. Everything now sounds dull and lifeless and muted. It's the sound effects that are unique or different that make your brain wake up and pay attention. Like action movies used to have sound effects that would make inanimate objects almost like a character to themselves. Now all the cars sound the same, gunfire all sound the same, engines sound the same and nothing has a sound to it that gives it its own personality.

Lightsaber is still one of the most unique and memorable sounds ever in a movie.

The gunfire in commando was amazing because it had dozens of guns throughout the movie and each one sounded distinct from the other guns.

I just miss the audible experience in movies. I don't find myself being entertained as much as I used to with sound in movies. Or maybe it's just me.

Music became watered down, machine made and uninspiring. Hollywood avoids the risky blockbuster, choosing safer routes. Then there is Netflix et al, why the need for spectacular expensive effects and music if people aren't in the super stereo system theatres? Star Wars is the model. A surprise blockbuster where the symphony improved the movie significantly. Consider Darth Vaders walk and the simple orchestrated chords...still famous 40 years later. How much is that simple score worth on its own? Imagination and creativity.

Forum List

Back