What else should the federal government require citizens to purchase?

So, now that a precedent has been set (with the SCOTUS upholding the individual mandate in Obamacare as a constitutional tax) that the federal government can require us to purchase something and tax us if we refuse, what else do you think they should require us to purchase?

An interstate highway system, airports, a flight control system, military, border patrol, schools... Which would you like to drop?

So, now that a precedent has been set (with the SCOTUS upholding the individual mandate in Obamacare as a constitutional tax) that the federal government can require us to purchase something and tax us if we refuse, what else do you think they should require us to purchase?

Condoms....at least for Republicans. Democrats like pussy and brag about it, Republicans like pussy and lie about it. What in hell have the Republicans ever been for that a big corporation or rich people didn't make a profit from

If we had waited for Ronald Reagan or George Herbert Walker Bush to advocate a space program the Russians would be in space(like they are) and we would have never landed on the moon.

I don't think you Grasp the Ruling yet.

The Ruling actually just seriously Curtailed the Congresses Power under the Commerce act.
They ruled it has to be a Tax, Because the Government can not force you to buy something with a Penalty.

So however upset people might be about this ruling. It's not a slam dunk win for Obama by any stretch. It effective Limits the Power of the Government under the Commerce clause, and Forces Obama to Admit what he sold as not a tax increase is a Tax Increase.

They also Ruled the Fed can not Threaten to take away states Existing Federal Funding to Force them to Comply with federal policy.

Meaning they can take away their new money they would have got from this bill, but not all their Medicade Funding like they Threatened.

Meaning things like they did back when they tried to Force all states to Comply with a Federal Speed limit, By threatening to take away their Highway Funding, Was not legal, and was in Fact an Abuse of Federal Power.

Not to mention this Ruling is Sure to Seriously Fire up the Opposition to Obama in NOV.

As a Conservative and Constitutionalists I am Satisfied with this Ruling. Roberts got it dead right. Yes, the Mandate can stand, But not on the Grounds the WH argued. They argued it was not a tax increase, The Court ruled it is only Legal if it is a Tax. By extension they have said the Federal Government can NOT use the Commerce clause to Force you to Buy anything. Because to do that is not Regulating Commerce it's Creating it. The only way they can do it, is by Taxes.

So never again will they be able to Ram anything like this Through, By Lying and claiming it is not a Tax Increase. Period.

To sum it up, This Ruling might look good For Obama in the Short Run, But I don't think it's going to help him in NOV one bit. 60% were against this Bill, now they are just more Pissed off and Intent on sending it's Creator home from the WH. Now He has to go out and Defend what Amounts to a Huge Tax Increase a Big part of Which hits the Middle class hard.

Last edited:

Condoms....at least for Republicans. Democrats like pussy and brag about it, Republicans like pussy and lie about it. What in hell have the Republicans ever been for that a big corporation or rich people didn't make a profit from

If we had waited for Ronald Reagan or George Herbert Walker Bush to advocate a space program the Russians would be in space(like they are) and we would have never landed on the moon.

Of course you have no facts what so ever to base that Opinion on.

Not one.

The Ruling actually just seriously Curtailed the Congresses Power under the Commerce act.
They ruled it has to be a Tax, Because the Government can not force you to buy something with a Penalty.

So however upset people might be about this ruling. It's not a slam dunk win for Obama by any stretch. It effective Limits the Power of the Government under the Commerce clause, and Forces Obama to Admit what he sold as not a tax increase is a Tax Increase.

They also Ruled the Fed can not Threaten to take away states Existing Federal Funding to Force them to Comply with federal policy.

Meaning they can take away their new money they would have got from this bill, but not all their Medicade Funding like they Threatened.

Meaning things like they did back when they tried to Force all states to Comply with a Federal Speed limit, By threatening to take away their Highway Funding, Was not legal, and was in Fact an Abuse of Federal Power.

Not to mention this Ruling is Sure to Seriously Fire up the Opposition to Obama in NOV.

As a Conservative and Constitutionalists I am Satisfied with this Ruling. Roberts got it dead right. Yes, the Mandate can stand, But not on the Grounds the WH argued. They argued it was not a tax increase, The Court ruled it is only Legal if it is a Tax. By extension they have said the Federal Government can NOT use the Commerce clause to Force you to Buy anything. Because to do that is not Regulating Commerce it's Creating it. The only way they can do it, is by Taxes.

So never again will they be able to Ram anything like this Through, By Lying and claiming it is not a Tax Increase. Period.

To sum it up, This Ruling might look good For Obama in the Short Run, But I don't think it's going to help him in NOV one bit. 60% were against this Bill, now they are just more Pissed off and Intent on sending it's Creator home from the WH. Now He has to go out and Defend what Amounts to a Huge Tax Increase a Big part of Which hits the Middle class hard.
"They also Ruled the Fed can not Threaten to take away states Existing Federal Funding to Force them to Comply with federal policy."

So congress cannot remove funding to force moral issues on a state like anti abortions or gay marriage, etc?

Well, if the government is going to force people to buy things, I'm hoping some educational books are among them. Because most people out there are just damned stupid.

Who determines the books required? Does one published get all the business, to the loss of another publisher? How is the penalty tax collected, should people not purchase the required tomes?

When it comes to knowledge, the more the better. It doesn't really matter which books, just get people using their minds again. But that's all a hypothetical approach to a hypothetical occurrence.

I don't see what good this belly-aching is going to do anyone. The health care law is constitutional. Those of us who oppose the law should not waste anymore time on pointless complaints, and move on to getting it repealed.

Apparently you all think it's a good ID to make people purchase Voter IDs, so there's that I guess.

Bingo. This is not a win for Barry at all. He's now got to defend a huge tax hike to the American people. With a crappy economy and UE over 8% good luck with that one.

This has the potential to be a win, win for Romney and the GOP.

Well, if the government is going to force people to buy things, I'm hoping some educational books are among them. Because most people out there are just damned stupid.

Who determines the books required? Does one published get all the business, to the loss of another publisher? How is the penalty tax collected, should people not purchase the required tomes?

When it comes to knowledge, the more the better. It doesn't really matter which books, just get people using their minds again. But that's all a hypothetical approach to a hypothetical occurrence.

I don't see what good this belly-aching is going to do anyone. The health care law is constitutional. Those of us who oppose the law should not waste anymore time on pointless complaints, and move on to getting it repealed.

So, you're okay with being required to purchase Hitler's Mein Kamph? Or 'The Road to Power' by Joseph Stalin? Or, 'The Doctrine of Fascism' by Benito Mussolini? Or, 'My Life [and many others]' by Fidel Castro? Or 'Little Red Book' by Mao Tse-Tung?

I am thinking cars. The Autoworkers are one of Obama's biggest supporter and he gave a lot of money to GM so I think he will want us to buy our cars from GM, doesn't that make sense.

Forum List

Back