What does this primary cycle say about Citizens United?

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
It doesn't seem money is buying much by way of influence with voters.

A fluke...or the new reality of the internet age?

Discuss...

It might be a new reality, because people don't want us to live in a plutocracy, where only the wealthy have all the power.

Gonna be interesting to see if the super PACs will have any more influence.

Discuss what? Missourian

Has anyone even voted yet? Do you even know what Super PACs are out there and what they have been doing or what they have spent or who the donors are? This thread makes about as much sense as one of...oh, never mind

Discuss...
Yeah, great question.

I suspect they've finally learned that traditional advertising is no longer effective (Jeb? Hello?). Seems to me they might start pouring money into more organizational/infrastructure stuff, including a shitload of social media types.

ABikerSailor What people want and what they can be convinced they want at any given moment are two entirely different things. And 'If' the Super PACs have any power? Just you wait. They have power, but they do not have votes. Last election cycle they changed little in the way of who was in and who was out, but they changed the nature of campaigning. They are now doing the ground work and other stuff campaigns historically have done. Except, they are beholden to no candidate they support. They are pseudo-campaigns or is it the other way around?

ABikerSailor What people want and what they can be convinced they want at any given moment are two entirely different things. And 'If' the Super PACs have any power? Just you wait. They have power, but they do not have votes. Last election cycle they changed little in the way of who was in and who was out, but they changed the nature of campaigning. They are now doing the ground work and other stuff campaigns historically have done. Except, they are beholden to no candidate they support. They are pseudo-campaigns or is it the other way around?

I think the pseudo campaign is the right answer. And, if the PACs don't perform as they think they should, they might end up being a failed political experiment that every one agrees was bad.

Discuss...
Yeah, great question.

I suspect they've finally learned that traditional advertising is no longer effective (Jeb? Hello?). Seems to me they might start pouring money into more organizational/infrastructure stuff, including a shitload of social media types.
Please, you suspect? Suspect what? What PACs are already doing? Traditional political ads are coming. Just you wait and see.

and stop pretending you are smarter than you are. Stating what is already happening as if it is something you think might happen in the future is downright nutty sounding

Discuss...
Yeah, great question.

Please, you suspect? Suspect what? What PACs are already doing? Traditional political ads are coming. Just you wait and see.

and stop pretending you are smarter than you are. Stating what is already happening as if it is something you think might happen in the future is downright nutty sounding
Wow.

Decaf?

I think the pseudo campaign is the right answer. And, if the PACs don't perform as they think they should, they might end up being a failed political experiment that every one agrees was bad.
I suspect the experiment will continue. It is new territory. Nothing tried nothing gained. They will influence and change things as surely as the sun rises in the east, because money has a funny way of doing just that, changing things

Discuss...

CU and McCutcheon have their greatest influence on members of Congress and State Legislators.

Spending lots of money on POTUS candidates is wasteful, the bulk of the money will be spent once each party has adopted a standard bearer.

It's then that the bulk of the money is spent, mostly by Super PACS and mostly on negative campaigns and character assassination.

Mac1958 Your statement "Seems to me they might start pouring money into more organizational/infrastructure stuff..." has been in the news for months now. Maybe like many of the candidates you mistake what you think you know for reality?

Mac1958 Your statement "Seems to me they might start pouring money into more organizational/infrastructure stuff..." has been in the news for months now. Maybe like many of the candidates you mistake what you think you know for reality?
Ah, so they're way ahead of me.

Well, I wasn't exactly in front on that one.

Why are you so upset about this?

CU and McCutcheon have their greatest influence on members of Congress and State Legislators.

Spending lots of money on POTUS candidates is wasteful, the bulk of the money will be spent once each party has adopted a standard bearer.

It's then that the bulk of the money is spent, mostly by Super PACS and mostly on negative campaigns and character assassination.
???

Adopted a standard bearer? You mean adopt a POTUS candidate out of the primary field? The chosen candidate coming out of any convention is still a POTUS candidate, no?

Do you have any links that evidence this "CU and McCutcheon have their greatest influence on members of Congress and State Legislators."???

Upset? Is this a projection? Can I safely assume when you catch an untruth or bullshitter you are upset when you respond? Can you consider any other motive, emotion, angle I would be coming from? I suspect like Trump with the videos and Hillary with the airport danger, you are misremembering things you may have already read or heard

I suspect like Trum

Upset? Is this a projection? Can I safely assume when you catch an untruth or bullshitter you are upset when you respond? Can you consider any other motive, emotion, angle I would be coming from? I suspect like Trump with the videos and Hillary with the airport danger, you are misremembering things you may have already read or heard

I suspect like Trum
What in the world are you talking about?

Are you drunk?

The OP sees that a celebrity who gets unlimited free TV time doesn't express a need for super pacs......and makes the false connection that CU isn't the clusterfuck that everyone knows it is.

Great stuff.

Yes the far left press does give Trump a lot of free air time..

Guess that was because of citizen united as well..

Silly far left drone!

Forum List

Back