Debate Now What does MAGA mean ? Specifically ?

I call MAGA a sales pitch. Just like I call Build-Back-Better a sales pitch.

If MAGA means Make American Great Again, it means we were once great.

Can somewhat tell me when that was, what made us "great" and when you'll know we've gotten back to that point ?

I contend that people (because I've been cornering them on this topic) don't know what they mean when they say MAGA.

Nobody I've talked to can give me specifics.

One person I talked to said:

Well, in 1960, we didn't have the illegal problem we have now. So I asked what the problem is now (in terms of numbers). Didn't have it. How about 1960...didn't have it. I decided to forego the easy follow up question and move on.

So I am going to say, I think America is great now. We have A LOT of issues, for sure. But I still love living here and am grateful for my freedoms and liberties.

I see MAGA as a sales pitch and an implication that we've lost something (but nobody can tell me what). And I am not so sure American was any greater then than it is today.

Let me know what you think.

Rule #1: Provide specifics.

Rule #2: If you want to argue generalities, you have to be very clear on what they are and the basis for them.

Rule #3: No commentary on the "other side"

For all to read.

As soon as the people could see Trump was going to win... that is when the economy took off... and it was roaring up until the China virus... but even after the shutdowns the economy was returning until Biden went to war on fossil fuels... that and huge government giveaways created inflation....
You didn't make a u-turn, but you did break his rules so

MAGA is the word given to describe a strong, secure, free nation offering prosperity, choices, options, opportunity for all.

MAGA means MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

That is what it says. I have never seen what you've written on a hat.

And he gave us the closest thing to world peace any of us had known in our lifetimes.

And how was that measured ?

People in very safe communities still live in fear of crime. Not Trumps fault. But they don't see peace.

Do you have a survey you could share ?

That and many other positives are what the MAGA vision includes.

Wishful thinking.

What might make America great again.

Following the Rule of Law. I thought for sure someone would answer that one by saying get more conservatives on the court.

But alas it remains for me to point out.

He certainly made America great again in that regard and thank you Ruth Bader Ginsburg (as crass as that sounds).

That might be number one on the list.

The rest follows.

Dobbs.....back to the states where it belongs. Thanks to Trump (he could care less). But thanks to Trump for appointing the conservatives who do care about the constitution.

That was a side comment to qualify the rest of the thread.

I see?

Reminding that America has gone through populist isolationist periods several times in its history, Rudolph states that “the last round was sixty years ago, under the guidance of such people as Father Coughlin, Huey Long, Charles Lindbergh and Henry Ford. World War Two had many complex causes, but certainly American isolationism ranks high on the list.

In my discussion with @Orangecat we've determined (as a matter of opinion, but with metrics) that reducing and eventually eliminating that debt will one way America will "greater".
Setting a potential future condition where populist isolationism were to prevail with huge budget cuts in the military industrial complex along with military withdrawal from the world stage combined with severe cuts in social programs and infrastructure spending and it leads to a balanced budget with all debt eliminated,

How do we declare America great due to the elimination of debt if five years of budget surplus leaves us vulnerable to other superpower aggression, And those who don’t get trickled on at without a livable income, and our infrastructure no longer can deliver gods - but hey - we are great / our spending is on line with our income.

I see?

Reminding that America has gone through populist isolationist periods several times in its history, Rudolph states that “the last round was sixty years ago, under the guidance of such people as Father Coughlin, Huey Long, Charles Lindbergh and Henry Ford. World War Two had many complex causes, but certainly American isolationism ranks high on the list.

Setting a potential future condition where populist isolationism were to prevail with huge budget cuts in the military industrial complex along with military withdrawal from the world stage combined with severe cuts in social programs and infrastructure spending and it leads to a balanced budget with all debt eliminated,

How do we declare America great due to the elimination of debt if five years of budget surplus leaves us vulnerable to other superpower aggression, And those who don’t get trickled on at without a livable income, and our infrastructure no longer can deliver gods - but hey - we are great / our spending is on line with our income.

Wow, that's a lot to make up to argue against.

It's really not worth addressing since I only said pay off the debt.

What are you crying about?... don't you think we all know the board rules?... obviously you need to re read them yourself.... no one is violating anything... if you can find a rule any of us has violated spell it out... did you run to the teacher every time someone stepped on your toes as a child?...
Stop complaining and address the issues brought up... by the way.... after 3 pages a thread can wander off topic... read the rules...

One last time, these are forum rules.

And they allow you to make thread rules.

You are incomplete violation of all of them.

It is not about the "board".

You are no conservative. That is for sure.

Conservatives value the rule of law which means you follow the rules and get disciplined if you don't.

One last time, these are forum rules.

And they allow you to make thread rules.

You are incomplete violation of all of them.

It is not about the "board".

You are no conservative. That is for sure.

Conservatives value the rule of law which means you follow the rules and get disciplined if you don't.
:salute:... sir yes sir....

There have been no Jim Crow laws for 60 years and only some Americans had them up to then. At some point honorable people learn to judge on what people, societies, countries have become instead of constantly living in the past.
Oh. Right.
Pretty much most of the Twentieth Century.
That was the past time you said America was great and want to return to, right?

Last edited:
Let’s not get lost in the minutiae. The point was, Trump did act early, and was attacked by the American Marxist party for doing so.
Whatever. It was all performative so he didn't 'upset the country'. But the revisionism does get old very quickly...
On 7 February he told Woodward in a phone call: “It goes through the air. That’s always tougher than the touch. You don’t have to touch things. Right? But the air, you just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed. And so that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than even your strenuous flus.”
He added: “This is deadly stuff.”
But February, in the view of Woodward and many other analysts, was a wasted month. On 27 February, Trump said publicly: “It’s going to disappear. One day – it’s like a miracle – it will disappear.” In a tweet on 9 March, he explicitly compared it to the common flu, noting that “Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on” in flu season. “Think about that!”
By 19 March, Trump had declared a national emergency but told Woodward: “I wanted to always play it down. I still like playing it down, because I don’t want to create a panic.”

I call MAGA a sales pitch. Just like I call Build-Back-Better a sales pitch.

If MAGA means Make American Great Again, it means we were once great.

Can somewhat tell me when that was, what made us "great" and when you'll know we've gotten back to that point ?

I contend that people (because I've been cornering them on this topic) don't know what they mean when they say MAGA.

Nobody I've talked to can give me specifics.

One person I talked to said:

Well, in 1960, we didn't have the illegal problem we have now. So I asked what the problem is now (in terms of numbers). Didn't have it. How about 1960...didn't have it. I decided to forego the easy follow up question and move on.

So I am going to say, I think America is great now. We have A LOT of issues, for sure. But I still love living here and am grateful for my freedoms and liberties.

I see MAGA as a sales pitch and an implication that we've lost something (but nobody can tell me what). And I am not so sure American was any greater then than it is today.

Let me know what you think.

Rule #1: Provide specifics.

Rule #2: If you want to argue generalities, you have to be very clear on what they are and the basis for them.

Rule #3: No commentary on the "other side"
on the lighter side, it means:
Millionare Asshole Golfing Again.
Mexicans Always Get Across.
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys.

but in all seriousness, its a thought stopping cliche. These are used in cults. Its necessary to stuff out dissent, and justify false reasoning. "america first" is another one.

Obama was in deficit every year, but it was getting smaller. Trump was too.
JFC.

What side is that commentary on?

President Trump continued the trend of pushing the deficit higher as he sought massive tax cuts and increased defense spending. His first budget for the 2018 fiscal year recorded a deficit of $779 billion.
The deficit reached $984 billion in 2019 under Trump and it hit more than $1 trillion in 2020 before Congress passed a $2 trillion stimulus package to fight the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

You are full of it.

I only said pay off the debt.​

No , You said

HikerGuy83 said: In my discussion with Orangecat we've determined (as a matter of opinion, but with metrics) that reducing and eventually eliminating that debt will one way America will "greater".

I am challenging you on the bold part .

What good is being debt free in America if Russian/Chinese/NKoresn/Iranisn axis of evil troops are at our northern and southern borders and control both the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts?

I only said pay off the debt.

No you said paying off the debt would make America greater than we are right now.

That is not so easily predictable.

💸 What does MAGA mean Specifically 240414 {post•1}. HikerGuy83 Apr’24 Swdmmz. We have A LOT of issues, for sure. But I still love living here and am grateful for my freedoms and liberties. hkrgy 240414 Swdmmz00001

I only said pay off the debt.

In my discussion with Orangecat we've determined (as a matter of opinion, but with metrics) that reducing and eventually eliminating that debt will one way America will "greater".​

No, you actually said, eliminating the debt will make America greater.

I agree that paying off the debt will be great. But I do not agree with your unrealistic belief paying off the debt will make America greater..

Do you understand the difference?

Obama took forever to get the economy rolling. It was well on it's way when Trump took over. I agree that it kept right on going. The stock market, all signs were it was doing well.

But he didn't turn it around.

I am not critical of Trump in that regard, I am just stating a fact.

Obama was in deficit every year, but it was getting smaller. Trump was too.

Not making America great.

That isn't MAGA, that is econmics. We are in dumpster right now and that is why Macroeconomics was created. Because of business cycles.
Obama's economy sucked right up to the end. Well over 90% of the jobs created in his eight years were part time or temporary jobs with few if any benefits. That is the only way unemployment could decline in his economy. Admittedly it was better than under Biden's insane economy but things were SO much better under Trump.

With Trump's less unnecessarily regulatory, more liberty, more incentive policies unemployment for ALL demographics declined and buying power for ALL demographics increased. Most were able to return to full time jobs with benefits. Manufacturing jobs were coming back to the USA and few were leaving as opposed to hundreds of thousands lost jobs in that sector under Obama. Because the future was bright and encouraging for all, business expansions and entrepreneurship were substantially up. My husband and I made the painful decision to close our small business and retire in Obama's flat and lackluster economy.

To say that economy is not part of MAGA is foolish. Every honorable American wants and appreciates the opportunity to work, to enjoy the fruit of their labor, to increase their prosperity, and to honorably and ethically support themselves and their families as well as have enough to enjoy quality of life and perhaps help others. MAGA offers much more choice, options, opportunity for that to happen.

Wishful thinking.

What might make America great again.

Following the Rule of Law. I thought for sure someone would answer that one by saying get more conservatives on the court.

But alas it remains for me to point out.

He certainly made America great again in that regard and thank you Ruth Bader Ginsburg (as crass as that sounds).

That might be number one on the list.

The rest follows.

Dobbs.....back to the states where it belongs. Thanks to Trump (he could care less). But thanks to Trump for appointing the conservatives who do care about the constitution.
Yes, a court system that is not politically motivated and controlled is critical to MAGA. Trump understood that profoundly where Obama and Biden wanted the courts to promote progressivism in the worst way.

I think Mitch McConnell is way past his expiration date in Congress, but I will be eternally grateful that he pretty much single handedly kept Merrick Garland off the Supreme Court after Obama nominated him. He has proved to be so dangerously unAmerican he would have been disastrous.

Forum List

Back