what does it mean to be a liberal?

Again, they think all Liberals are lazy black people. It's the picture Fox News paints.

I certainly never wanted to be a Liberal when it was defined as "Big Government". But I'll always be a Liberal (more of) thinker. I'll never allow the suppression of my own thoughts like so many.

Double standards. Only certain women matter, the others be damned to their cruel fates.

but why does Islam get an exception and is allowed to the same stuff without any scrutiny?

Violence and intimidation, much like that of the modern far left liberals here in America.
Could you point out where liberals have done this.

Does Baltimore ring a bell? What about Occupy Wall Street? Bro, do you even history?
What does Baltimore and Occupy Wall St. have to do with support against religious injustices on women? We had an occupy wall St. here and there was no violence at all. A lot of the violence during these protest were instigated and carried out by the police.

14 Specific Allegations of NYPD Brutality During Occupy Wall Street - The Atlantic

As for Baltimore, wasn't it just another protest against racial violence towards blacks. I don't condone it but I'm not surprised by it especially when I've seen this type of stuff first hand.

That violence was spurred on in part due to the gospel of "Cops hate you because you're black." By consistently breeding a racial animus between cops and the black community, like Al Sharpton has done all of the last oh, 30 years (Tawana Brawley, for example) and like Obama is doing now, then you get this kind of violence. You needn't not participate in the violence to start the violence.

As for intimidation, look no further than Memories Pizza and Sweet Cakes by Melissa. You don't need to look far for that.

Violence, intimidation. Part of they Alinskyist creed. Silence and destroy your political opposition.

Double standards. Only certain women matter, the others be damned to their cruel fates.

but why does Islam get an exception and is allowed to the same stuff without any scrutiny?

Violence and intimidation, much like that of the modern far left liberals here in America.

Do Baltimore and Ferguson ring a bell? What about Occupy Wall Street? Or the Weather Underground?

Bro, do you even history?

Nothing says, "I"m a history buff" like the guy that says Occupy is violent.

Does Baltimore ring a bell? What about Occupy Wall Street? Bro, do you even history?
What does Baltimore and Occupy Wall St. have to do with support against religious injustices on women? We had an occupy wall St. here and there was no violence at all. A lot of the violence during these protest were instigated and carried out by the police.

14 Specific Allegations of NYPD Brutality During Occupy Wall Street - The Atlantic

As for Baltimore, wasn't it just another protest against racial violence towards blacks. I don't condone it but I'm not surprised by it especially when I've seen this type of stuff first hand.

That violence was spurred on in part due to the gospel of "Cops hate you because you're black." By consistently breeding a racial animus between cops and the black community, like Al Sharpton has done all of the last oh, 30 years (Tawana Brawley, for example) and like Obama is doing now, then you get this kind of violence. You needn't not participate in the violence to start the violence.

As for intimidation, look no further than Memories Pizza and Sweet Cakes by Melissa. You don't need to look far for that.

Violence, intimidation. Part of they Alinskyist creed. Silence and destroy your political opposition.
Or maybe, just maybe the violence was spurred on social unjustices by the police targeting the black community which there have been several million documented cases in the last 50 years and every so often when a death occurs (or a beating, remember Rodney King) the pent up frustration and anger reaches a boiling point. As for intimidation, people told these business owners they wouldn't shop there because of their bigotry. If they want their freedom to be bigots then the public can exercise their freedom to not do business with them.

Also I think it's very hypocritical of a business that is open on Sundays to claim that their bigotry is a part of religious freedom. We found a vague passage in the bible that may be about homosexuality but we will simply ignore one of the Commandments.

I once considered myself liberal in the sense that I supported liberty but as I get older I've noticed many liberals just didn't feel,as much passion for liberty and the constitution as preceeding generations of liberals. I am perplexed why so many liberals will defend Islam and sharia law when these things seem to be used to harm women. I hear all the arguments that Christianity did the same thing which in some cases is true and, in those cases, it deserves to be scrutinized but why does Islam get an exception and is allowed to the same stuff without any scrutiny? I'm beginning to wonder what does it mean to be liberal?

Liberal use to mean "Lot's of".

But if you research it today, it has taken over a whole new meaning.

I always wondered why the Left would openly call themselves Liberals, claiming they want "more of" Government. But the Terminology changed somewhere along the path.

Liberals want change. Conservatives don't. <--that is the new definitions. I feel bad for people who don't want change, change is necessary in EVERYTHING in life.
It isn't the terminology that changes, it's the connotation. Back in my youth, liberals wanted to exercise control over all facets of our lives. It was liberals who backed southern sodomy laws, it was liberals who fought against sex ed in schools, it was liberals who wanted to tax me out of smoking and drinking, it was liberals who fought against abortion. Liberals seemingly just wanted control. Today, most of those issues are now considered core conservative values and liberals have taken the opposite POV.

That's why I try to resist the urge to label. It's dangerous, and it promotes horrific choices that would have been avoided if it weren't for the need to be identified and identifiable in one word.

I defend Islam the same way I defend Christianity. As an atheist. You believe what you want.
I defend Sharia Law as I defend Levitican Law. As long as you don't hurt anyone, do what you want.
I defend myself against them - you have the right to believe, say, or do whatever is legal in this country but I have the right to refuse to join you.
I support the Constitution, but I also believe that in some cases I have the right to be protected from YOUR use of that same Constitution.
I believe that all facets of government be observed and analyzed openly and honestly without the stigma associated with any label.

Does that make me a liberal?
I prefer the new term: Progressive. As in willing to accept the things that work because they work perfectly for the largest segment of our population and to fix the things that don't without regard for who thought of them.

"what does it mean to be a liberal?"

It means to be a pragmatist and reject blind adherence to subjective doctrine and dogma; it means to not be an ideologue, and instead base one's position on a given issue as determined by the facts and objective, documented evidence; and it means to reject simplistic, reactionary 'solutions' to problems motivated by fear and ignorance.

Or maybe, just maybe the violence was spurred on social unjustices by the police targeting the black community which there have been several million documented cases in the last 50 years and every so often when a death occurs

Or maybe, just maybe, you could stop spouting unsubstantiated talking points?

Where do you get these "several million documented cases over the last 50 years" from?

when a death occurs (or a beating, remember Rodney King) the pent up frustration and anger reaches a boiling point.

So, does it also justify the injustice of destroying businesses and livelihoods? Or costing the lives of other innocent people?

Also I think it's very hypocritical of a business that is open on Sundays to claim that their bigotry is a part of religious freedom.

I think it is hypocritical of a government who professes to defend religious freedom should be able to compel others to choose between their livelihoods and their faith.

I have yet to see a liberal on this board state how he would like the opportunity of shooting some 'Conservatives'. I have seen plenty of 'Conservatives' stating that they would like the opportunity to shoot a few liberals. Seems to me that pretty much shows who respects the rights of other citizens.
no conservative has lost his job for going off script, you can't say the same for leftist

It means to be a pragmatist and reject blind adherence to subjective doctrine and dogma; it means to not be an ideologue, and instead base one's position on a given issue as determined by the facts and objective, documented evidence; and it means to reject simplistic, reactionary 'solutions' to problems motivated by fear and ignorance.
:lol:

except you have no thought outside what the dnc tells you to think.

not one

Or maybe, just maybe, you could stop spouting unsubstantiated talking points?

Where do you get these "several million documented cases over the last 50 years" from?
Ask any american black person if he or if he personally knows someone who has expereienced this. You will get a definite yes. In Sanfracisco alone (known to be a liberal city) there were over 3000 cases within a year. San Francisco probe of police racism puts 3 000 cases under review RT USA

So, does it also justify the injustice of destroying businesses and livelihoods? Or costing the lives of other innocent people?
Did you miss the part in my earlier post where I stated I don't condone this? Of course it doesn't justify it, but recognising the root of this problem is the best way to solve it.

I think it is hypocritical of a government who professes to defend religious freedom should be able to compel others to choose between their livelihoods and their faith.
Did the government order the closing of these shops? I wasn't aware of that. Being a bigot has nothing to do with their religion. If you cherry pick only certain scripture from your holy book while ignoring other teachings then you are just hiding your bigotry behind your religion and it's very cowardice.

As a blue collar liberal, it means that I am not going to let some ignoramus of a 'Conservative' tell what I think or am. So pedal your silly bullshit to each other, you aren't selling to your bettors.

Uhhhh .... it's 'betters; ... bettors gamble.

not one

Just because rush and faux tell you that doesn't make it true. You have no idea what a liberal is. You only know what the right wing tells you they are.

"Reject blind adherence" ~ I have a feeling they will agree with you on that perspective.

I have yet to see a liberal on this board state how he would like the opportunity of shooting some 'Conservatives'. I have seen plenty of 'Conservatives' stating that they would like the opportunity to shoot a few liberals. Seems to me that pretty much shows who respects the rights of other citizens.
no conservative has lost his job for going off script, you can't say the same for leftist

Well.

Ross Perot warned of a sucking sound if NAFTA happened. His statement was off script.

You are half (R)ight because even the (L)eft voted for NAFTA and the script was written for both parties.

I once considered myself liberal in the sense that I supported liberty but as I get older I've noticed many liberals just didn't feel,as much passion for liberty and the constitution as preceeding generations of liberals. I am perplexed why so many liberals will defend Islam and sharia law when these things seem to be used to harm women. I hear all the arguments that Christianity did the same thing which in some cases is true and, in those cases, it deserves to be scrutinized but why does Islam get an exception and is allowed to the same stuff without any scrutiny? I'm beginning to wonder what does it mean to be liberal?

Name some liberals who support Sharia law as a legal means to harm women.

Ask any american black person if he or if he personally knows someone who has expereienced this. You will get a definite yes. In Sanfracisco alone (known to be a liberal city) there were over 3000 cases within a year. San Francisco probe of police racism puts 3 000 cases under review RT USA

But that's not "several million" now is it? Do you liberals even know how to perform basic math?

Did you miss the part in my earlier post where I stated I don't condone this? Of course it doesn't justify it, but recognising the root of this problem is the best way to solve it.

Your language suggested otherwise. Your tone suggested that the people had a reason to do what they did.

Did the government order the closing of these shops? I wasn't aware of that. Being a bigot has nothing to do with their religion.

What you call a bigot is someone adhering to the principles of their faith. And yes, the government shut down Sweet Cakes.

If you cherry pick only certain scripture from your holy book while ignoring other teachings then you are just hiding your bigotry behind your religion and it's very cowardice.

Oooh, your tolerance is showing.

not one

Just because rush and faux tell you that doesn't make it true. You have no idea what a liberal is. You only know what the right wing tells you they are.
uhm, no, I came to this conclusion years ago.

even had a thread asking you leftist to name something the party supports that you don't, the only thing you sheep could say was; 'we should do ________ harder.'

that's it, you just wanted more of the same, not one free thought in the lot of you.

Well.

Ross Perot warned of a sucking sound if NAFTA happened. His statement was off script.

You are half (R)ight because even the (L)eft voted for NAFTA and the script was written for both parties.
he went off script and didn't lose his job, and he was right.

seriously, have you medications checked.

Ok, I'm a Liberal and thus I am all for Liberty in my country. I hope other countries adopt the same or similar practices but if they don't, that's their choice. Let the people of that country rebel if they want a change.
The Constitution is a Liberal document, why wouldn't I support it? I'm a strong supporter of the First Amendment, Second Amendment, Fourth Amendment, Fifth Amendment and so on.
I defend Islam and the right for people to practice it because I believe in religious liberty, it's the same as any other religion to me. In my opinion religion is the opiate of the masses and I prefer to pray to my God without the use of fairy tales (aka some religions) on my own personal level. Sharia law is not going to occur in our Country any time soon.

In my opinion being a Liberal means believing in Liberty, individual freedom, good will to other people and nations, and taking care of my own house before I decide dictate and tell other people how to run their houses aka countries.

We should not be the world's policemen, we should not try to nation build a country and spend billions doing so while we complain about spending billions to help our own people. I think that welfare and public assistance should be finite and the recipients should be made to pay it back at a very minimal amount.

Forum List

Back