What Does Government Shutdown Mean?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Other than inconveniencing the public, what does it accomplish? No one is losing any pay during this period, so all we doing is paying people to do nothing. Am I missing something?:confused:

Other than inconveniencing the public, what does it accomplish? No one is losing any pay during this period, so all we doing is paying people to do nothing. Am I missing something?:confused:

Well, yeah there are people that are losing pay. Currently, the government is running in a reduced mode to fore stall a complete shut down. On October 17th is when the Treasury Department predicts the complete depletion of funds.

Treasury taking final steps to avoid default - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com

That is the short of it.

Only in America could an army of federal workers who accomplish little or nothing on a good day become a political tool when they are laid off their non-essential jobs.

Yes, you are missing the fact that you say "Other than inconveniencing the public,"..... If they don't do anything at all, then no one would be inconvenienced. In order for there to be inconvenience, the must do something. They mine "convenience" from the "convenience" mine, and pass it out so that you have more "convenience."

You said it. Now you just gotta figure out what you are looking at.

It isn't incoveniencing the general public. For the most part no one is affected at all.

Only in America could an army of federal workers who accomplish little or nothing on a good day become a political tool when they are laid off their non-essential jobs.

Than we need to change their status to essential, because a government worker whose job it is to take the public's money at a historic site or a park or whatever other attraction makes us revenue.

Last edited:
So do federal workers actually forfeit their pay during this period?

It isn't incoveniencing the general public. For the most part no one is affected at all.

It is inconveniencing me.

NOAA Due to the Federal government shutdown, NOAA.gov and most associated web sites
are unavailable.
BEA Due to the lapse in government funding, SHUT DOWN: Bureau of Economic Analysis will be unavailable until further notice. will be unavailable until further notice.
BLS This website is currently not being updated due to the suspension of Federal government services.

If nothing else, the government collects and publishes statistical data on the population and related economic activities. They have done this since the time of the pyramids.

I find that a lack of proper information is terribly inconvenient.

It depends on what Congress decides to do.

Just a quick read of Google searches indicates that, at best, they may get paid retroactive. That can be a bit of a problem for some folks, I would think. Last I checked, landlords don't care much for retroactive rent.

Just a quick read of Google searches indicates that, at best, they may get paid retroactive. That can be a bit of a problem for some folks, I would think. Last I checked, landlords don't care much for retroactive rent.

In other words, we keep paying them to do nothing. Every federal credit union will advance funds to federal workers whose paychecks might be delayed.* :eusa_boohoo:

*Most federal workers are paid monthly, so their paychecks won't be affected unless the shutdown lasts more than 30 days.

In other words, we keep paying them to do nothing. Every federal credit union will advance funds to federal workers whose paychecks might be delayed.* :eusa_boohoo:

*Most federal workers are paid monthly, so their paychecks won't be affected unless the shutdown lasts more than 30 days.

Yeah, I am sure if your paycheck was delayed, you wouldn't be all :eusa_boohoo: I sure wouldn't. Seems a bit self centered a perspective.

It seems a bit ridiculous to be giving them all an additional paid vacation. Kind of a waste.

And you are still inconsistent with "Other than inconveniencing the public," then claiming they do nothing. Either they do something that results in an inconvenience when they don't, or they don't do anything and it isn't an inconvenience.

You seem to switch your perspective around at convenience, to suit your biased preconceived emotional perception. I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Senator Bernie Sanders said today on the Ed Shultz radio show that because of the shutdown FBI agents
aren't going to work.... and fat head ed said nothing....

I don't believe this statement is true but why would the truth enter into anything the left says.

Yeah, I am sure if your paycheck was delayed, you wouldn't be all :eusa_boohoo: I sure wouldn't. Seems a bit self centered a perspective.

It seems a bit ridiculous to be giving them all an additional paid vacation. Kind of a waste.

And you are still inconsistent with "Other than inconveniencing the public," then claiming they do nothing. Either they do something that results in an inconvenience when they don't, or they don't do anything and it isn't an inconvenience.

You seem to switch your perspective around at convenience, to suit your biased preconceived emotional perception. I'm just saying.

Inconvenience = Queen of Diamonds?

Senator Bernie Sanders said today on the Ed Shultz radio show that because of the shutdown FBI agents

I don't believe this statement is true but why would the truth enter into anything the left says.

Why leave it to "believing" when you can look it up?

Less Pay? The Shutdown Message FBI Agents Didn?t Want to Read - ABC News

At FBI headquarters in Washington, half of the staff – the “non excepted” workers – have been told to stay home, according to one official.
“Life as an FBI agent is pretty tough” even without furloughs, forcing many agents to commute 50 miles or more each day because they can’t afford to live any closer to the city they work to protect, the FBI agent told ABC News.

At FBI headquarters in Washington, half of the staff – the “non excepted” workers – have been told to stay home, according to one official.
“Life as an FBI agent is pretty tough” even without furloughs, forcing many agents to commute 50 miles or more each day because they can’t afford to live any closer to the city they work to protect, the FBI agent told ABC News.

You looked at their pay scales lately, not to mention overtime? As a former government employee (for 12 years until I couldn't stand it any longer), I can tell you that nobody turns down additional paid vacation days (with unemployment benefits!), even if it means a possible delay in the next paycheck. The bigger fear is that the public will realize how little productive work is done when the government is not shut down.

You looked at their pay scales lately, not to mention overtime? As a former government employee (for 12 years until I couldn't stand it any longer), I can tell you that nobody turns down additional paid vacation days (with unemployment benefits!), even if it means a possible delay in the next paycheck. The bigger fear is that the public will realize how little productive work is done when the government is not shut down.

Doesn't change the point that the post was bullshit.

It means that you confirm the fact that the post was bullshit.

Really, "nobody"? Sound to me that you are simply telling us how you were.

This statement is why this shutdown could drag on for months. The right wing of the Republican Party feels the government in shut down mode is exactly what the government should be. Therefore they have no desire to move unless they receive an extraordinary concession like killing Obamacare.

As long as Boehner sticks with the Hastert rule this wing of the Party will continue to dictate policy.

This statement is why this shutdown could drag on for months. The right wing of the Republican Party feels the government in shut down mode is exactly what the government should be. Therefore they have no desire to move unless they receive an extraordinary concession like killing Obamacare.

As long as Boehner sticks with the Hastert rule this wing of the Party will continue to dictate policy.

Praising with faint damnation? :lol:

Forum List

Back