What do you think of libertarianism?

What do you think of libertarianism?

• I don't know much about it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Libertarians are a bunch of people who want to be left the fuck alone...

Yeah, until a multinational corporation who is "policing itself" decides to poison your water supply and air... or a hurricane / tornado wipes out your entire broke-ass town.

Either you want to live in a dignified SOCIETY or you don't. If you don't, Russia and Somalia are waiting for you.

Libertarians are confused liberals, or, as Sallow put it, liberals with a poor grasp of reality. They are liberals because they value the freedom of the average person and the rights of man. They are confused, and have a poor grasp of reality, because they think that only government power is a threat to liberty, and that private power never needs to be restrained.

I disagree. I'm neither confused nor have a poor grasp on reality. Unchecked power is a threat to individual liberty. The federal governement has gained a lot of unchecked power since the civil war.

Libertarians are confused liberals, or, as Sallow put it, liberals with a poor grasp of reality. They are liberals because they value the freedom of the average person and the rights of man. They are confused, and have a poor grasp of reality, because they think that only government power is a threat to liberty, and that private power never needs to be restrained.

I disagree. I'm neither confused nor have a poor grasp on reality. Unchecked power is a threat to individual liberty. The federal governement has gained a lot of unchecked power since the civil war.

Of course you don't THINK you're confused or have a poor grasp of reality. Who, suffering from those conditions, ever does?

Nonetheless, upon presenting the undeniable truth that "unchecked power is a threat to individual liberty," your first example of this is the federal government. The federal government wields a lot of power, but of all the powerful entities in our society it is the LEAST unchecked. It is checked by public accountability, separation of powers, an independent judiciary, the Bill of Rights . . .

You call the federal government "unchecked" when it obviously isn't, and you don't even mention corporate power, which IS (nearly) unchecked, and which is responsible for most of the misbehavior of the federal government, too.

All of this is evidence that you are, indeed, out of touch with reality. Your heart's in the right place. Your head, unfortunately, is not.

No country in the world operates on Libertarian principles

None ever will

Well being Big Government is leading us through a world depression I think it's safe to say maybe the FF were on to something with the whole "limited Government" thingy... Of course some won’t agree with that, but then they also have not and won’t accept blame when their ideology fails, again… and again…..

Just sayin.

I do not think Libertarianism can be defined by particular set of policy positions. And of course there are DEGRESS of Libertarianian ranging from near anarchists, to social democratic types, too

Libertarianism is a political philosophy that emphasises the theory that the least government is the best government.

I think most people, liberals, conservatives and naturally Libertarians can agree to that philosophy in principle, but niether liberals nor cons ever seem to be able to reduce goverment IN FACT.

Thank you for this. I think Libertarian is the mix between liberal and conservative, it gives where the 2 Dem/Rep won't. Republicans are War/Religious, Dems are War and welfare... so it's no surprise we end up with lots of war, religious politicians and massive welfare. Reality is both sides want the same things, or you would have seen Bush and his Rep congress repeal Liberal items and you would have seen Obama and his Dem congress repel conservative items... Yet here we are, expanded versions of the worst both parties had to offer.

What really makes libertarianism stand out is the fact that it has never held real office, so it has not had a chance to corrupt, that does not mean it can’t or won’t.

This is an example of pure stupidity. In fact I'm not even going to bother destroying this moronic post because they are in fact to stupid to learn any better.

Libertarians are a bunch of people who want to be left the fuck alone...

Yeah, until a multinational corporation who is "policing itself" decides to poison your water supply and air... or a hurricane / tornado wipes out your entire broke-ass town.

Either you want to live in a dignified SOCIETY or you don't. If you don't, Russia and Somalia are waiting for you.

Wrong... You seem to think there are no laws, because you're an idiot. Small Government does not mean no Government, now you have no argument so please repeat yourself.

Of course you don't THINK you're confused or have a poor grasp of reality. Who, suffering from those conditions, ever does?

Nonetheless, upon presenting the undeniable truth that "unchecked power is a threat to individual liberty," your first example of this is the federal government. The federal government wields a lot of power, but of all the powerful entities in our society it is the LEAST unchecked. It is checked by public accountability, separation of powers, an independent judiciary, the Bill of Rights . . .

You call the federal government "unchecked" when it obviously isn't, and you don't even mention corporate power, which IS (nearly) unchecked, and which is responsible for most of the misbehavior of the federal government, too.

All of this is evidence that you are, indeed, out of touch with reality. Your heart's in the right place. Your head, unfortunately, is not.

When I cited the Federal Governements' aquisition of power over the individual since the civil war it was by no means meant to be a list of the various powers that have evolved that have power over indivdual liberty.

Forum List

Back