What do you think about sex ed?

Second, I did not see anything that supports your statement that says the rate of evangelical unwed pregnancies is higher than that of the general population. It did say evangelicals are active earlier (note this) than other religious groups. It said nothing about general population.

Immie

I read that article several months ago and will have to reread it because my memory tells me it did state that pregnancies rates are higher among evangelicals. But I could be wrong.

However, if evangelicals are active earlier and many evangelicals believe in abstinence only sex ed then wouldn't it be logical to expect they would have a higher rate of pregnancy as a result? And if the pregnancy rate is not higher, what is happening to keep it at the same rate or lower?

A handful of social scientists and family-law scholars have recently begun looking closely at this split. Last year, Mark Regnerus, a sociologist at the University of Texas at Austin, published a startling book called “Forbidden Fruit: Sex and Religion in the Lives of American Teenagers,” and he is working on a follow-up that includes a section titled “Red Sex, Blue Sex.” His findings are drawn from a national survey that Regnerus and his colleagues conducted of some thirty-four hundred thirteen-to-seventeen-year-olds, and from a comprehensive government study of adolescent health known as Add Health. Regnerus argues that religion is a good indicator of attitudes toward sex, but a poor one of sexual behavior, and that this gap is especially wide among teen-agers who identify themselves as evangelical. The vast majority of white evangelical adolescents—seventy-four per cent—say that they believe in abstaining from sex before marriage. (Only half of mainline Protestants, and a quarter of Jews, say that they believe in abstinence.) Moreover, among the major religious groups, evangelical virgins are the least likely to anticipate that sex will be pleasurable, and the most likely to believe that having sex will cause their partners to lose respect for them. (Jews most often cite pleasure as a reason to have sex, and say that an unplanned pregnancy would be an embarrassment.) But, according to Add Health data, evangelical teen-agers are more sexually active than Mormons, mainline Protestants, and Jews. On average, white evangelical Protestants make their “sexual début”—to use the festive term of social-science researchers—shortly after turning sixteen. Among major religious groups, only black Protestants begin having sex earlier.

Dept. of Disputation: Red Sex, Blue Sex : The New Yorker

It's odd that the stats are separated between mainline Protestants and white evangelicals yet the stas for Jews are lumped all together.

I guess maybe it is just impossible for me to imagine the idea of abortion to be appealing by any stretch of the imagination. Just a slight hangup I seem to have.

Immie

Since you'll never be in a position to need one, you have the luxury of not ever having to find the idea of abortion appealing.
Your hang up is that you are a man. :eusa_whistle:

Thank God for small favors!!!!!! :lol:

Hey! I have two daughters to worry about as well and as a loving and caring dad, well, they're still not appealing.

Immie
Your daughters are not appealing? Hard to believe. I bet they are very attractive.

I read that article several months ago and will have to reread it because my memory tells me it did state that pregnancies rates are higher among evangelicals. But I could be wrong.

However, if evangelicals are active earlier and many evangelicals believe in abstinence only sex ed then wouldn't it be logical to expect they would have a higher rate of pregnancy as a result? And if the pregnancy rate is not higher, what is happening to keep it at the same rate or lower?

Truthfully, I don't know anyone who believes in abstinence only sex ed. I'm not so certain is it not a lie of the left.

I believe in abstinence which will work if used, but abstinence only sex ed is a fallacy. Probably named by PP in order to ridicule their opposition.

Also, as I said, evangelicals is a broad term adopted by many people who are not even religious. Lumping them in there would bring about a false finding in the survey.

Immie

Second, I did not see anything that supports your statement that says the rate of evangelical unwed pregnancies is higher than that of the general population. It did say evangelicals are active earlier (note this) than other religious groups. It said nothing about general population.

Immie

A lot of evangelicals don't believe in birth control of any form. The sex is natural, and any children that result...so be it.

This is especially true in mormons. Many mormon familes have several children.

There was a show on TLC or some similar channel that was about a mormon family that had like 5 kids, all of which had autism of one degree or another. The ages were varied, from one all the way up to 14. So this means that by the time they had the second child, it was confirmed that there was a problem with autism, but yet they continued on for YEARS still having unprotected sex, resulting in 3 more autistic children.

To me, willingly continuing to bring children into the world that are all but guaranteed to have a serious disorder like autism is about as irresponsible as it gets. At what point do your morals about birth control cross the line?

Since you'll never be in a position to need one, you have the luxury of not ever having to find the idea of abortion appealing.
Your hang up is that you are a man. :eusa_whistle:

Hey! I have two daughters to worry about as well and as a loving and caring dad, well, they're still not appealing.

Immie
Your daughters are not appealing? Hard to believe. I bet they are very attractive.

One, "they're" referred to abortions, but then you knew that.

Two, my daughters are only attractive because they resemble their mother much more than they do me.

Immie

Truthfully, I don't know anyone who believes in abstinence only sex ed. I'm not so certain is it not a lie of the left.

I believe in abstinence which will work if used, but abstinence only sex ed is a fallacy. Probably named by PP in order to ridicule their opposition.

Also, as I said, evangelicals is a broad term adopted by many people who are not even religious. Lumping them in there would bring about a false finding in the survey.

Immie

I don't know anyone in real life who believes in abstinence only sex ed but there was a guy on my other message board who argued a week straight in favor of it.
I think AlliBaba is in favor of it, if she is in favor of sex education at all.
There are people in certain school districts who are very vocal about wanting abstinence only sex ed. It's not something Planned Parenthood made up.

Why would a non religious person think of himself as an evangelical? That doesn't make sense.

Immie

One, "they're" referred to abortions, but then you knew that.

Two, my daughters are only attractive because they resemble their mother much more than they do me.

Immie
:lol:
brownie points with the wife on that one ;)

Why would a non religious person think of himself as an evangelical? That doesn't make sense.

Most of this country, last I heard something like 86% consider themselves Christian. I have not seen any stats on this but when asked if they are evangelical Christians, which really means Christians who believe in spreading the word of God and has nothing to do with the right wing zealots who claim the title that no one pays attention to, most will say yes they are or they will say they are born again Christians which typically gets translated to evangelical.

Immie

Immie

I don't know anyone in real life who believes in abstinence only sex ed but there was a guy on my other message board who argued a week straight in favor of it.
I think AlliBaba is in favor of it, if she is in favor of sex education at all.
There are people in certain school districts who are very vocal about wanting abstinence only sex ed. It's not something Planned Parenthood made up.

Personally, I believe in abstinence first sex ed. I think we should teach our children that abstinence is the only certain way to avoid pregnancy and STDs. However, I also think that kids need to know the basics about their bodies, what they are going to go through, pregnancy prevention, safe sex etc.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Alliebaba is pretty close to that as well, but I would rather not speak for her.

I know of lots of people on these boards who say much the same thing as I do, who are ridiculed and accused of preaching abstinence only sex ed.

And by the way, abstinence IS the only way to guarantee no pregnancy and that should be taught.

Immie

Virginity pledge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virginity pledges (or abstinence pledges) are commitments made by teenagers and young adults to refrain from sexual intercourse until marriage. They are most common in the United States, especially among Evangelical denominations.
Contents

[hide]

[edit] History

The first virginity pledge program was True Love Waits, started in 1993 by the Southern Baptist Convention,[1] which now claims over 2.5 million pledgers worldwide in dozens of countries.[2] A torrent of virginity pledge programs followed.
A later, prominent virginity pledge program was the Silver Ring Thing (SRT), which was the subject of a lawsuit by the ACLU in 2005.[3] SRT presented a two-part program, the first part about abstinence; the second about Born again Christianity. The ACLU claimed that federal funding given to this program (see Abstinence-only sex education for background) violated the separation of Church and State. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services settled the lawsuit by suspending SRT's federal grant until it submitted a "corrective action plan." In 2006, SRT decided not to seek further federal funding so it could continue its message.
Virginity pledge programs take a variety of stances on the role of religion in the pledge: some use religion to motivate the pledge, putting Biblical quotes on the cards, while others use statistics and arguments to motivate the pledge. Advocacy of virginity pledges is often coupled with support for abstinence-only sex education in public schools. Advocates argue that any other type of sexual education would promote sex outside of marriage, which they hold to be immoral and risky.

Abstinence as the best method, yes, that should be taught, but how many kids do you know do what they say they do? I never did, none of my friends ever did, hell, my mother admitted she never did either.

You know, if just one teenage couple were to spontaneously combust while having sex, never again would teenagers have sex. Hell, it wouldn't even have to be both, just one half of the pairing. Once word of that hit the Internet, it would all end.

You know, if just one teenage couple were to spontaneously combust while having sex, never again would teenagers have sex. Hell, it wouldn't even have to be both, just one half of the pairing. Once word of that hit the Internet, it would all end.

Doubt it, with all the scary myths of sexual activity that still exist they still do it. They are incapable of thinking straight at that age, we all were there, the mind is just too chaotic at that stage of development.

Immie

A lot of evangelicals don't believe in birth control of any form. The sex is natural, and any children that result...so be it.

This is especially true in mormons. Many mormon familes have several children.

There was a show on TLC or some similar channel that was about a mormon family that had like 5 kids, all of which had autism of one degree or another. The ages were varied, from one all the way up to 14. So this means that by the time they had the second child, it was confirmed that there was a problem with autism, but yet they continued on for YEARS still having unprotected sex, resulting in 3 more autistic children.

To me, willingly continuing to bring children into the world that are all but guaranteed to have a serious disorder like autism is about as irresponsible as it gets. At what point do your morals about birth control cross the line?

By the tone I detect in your post.....only the healthy, mentally and physically, are worth bearing? .....

Yeah eugenics.....:rolleyes:

The most beautiful people, spiritually, I have seen born on this planet are less than the world's view of perfection.....and the most evil and corrupt come from what this world deems to be perfect.

Forum List

Back