The Eagle has Landed

Discussion in 'Education' started by Oddball, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    NO CONSPIRACY WACKALOON ZONE!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On July 20, 1969, after a four day trip, the Apollo astronauts arrived at the Moon and the spacecraft was inserted into lunar orbit.

After a rest period, Armstrong and Aldrin entered the Lunar Module preparing for descent to the lunar surface. The two spacecraft were undocked at about 100 hours, when the Command and Service Modules separated from the Lunar Module. "You cats take it easy on the lunar surface", Michaels Collins said as he released the LM.

Collins did a visual inspection of the lunar module and said, "I think you've got a fine looking machine there, Eagle, despite the fact that you're upside-down."

"Somebody's upside-down", Neil Armstrong joked back.

Lunar Module Pilot, Buzz Aldrin carefully navigated his way to the Lunar surface. He had to fly longer than planned, in order to avoid a field of boulders, and touched down with less than 40 seconds of fuel remaining at 4:18 p.m. EDT on July 20.

Mission commander, Neil Armstrong spoke those famous words, "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." Charles Duke, the Capcom (capsule communicator) back in Houston, replied, "Roger, Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again."

It took 6 hours to prepare to exit the Lunar Module. At 10:56 p.m. EDT on July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the Moon, marking the occasion with these words, "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." Unfortunately, a minor break in communications caused the entire world to hear and remember the statement as "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." The Apollo lunar surface camera, mounted on one of the LM legs, broadcast this event to the world.

Aldrin joined Armstrong on the surface about nineteen minutes later, calling it "Magnificent desolation". As he left the LM, Aldrin said, "Now I want to back up and partially close the hatch - making sure not to lock it on my way out." "A particularly good thought." laughed Armstrong.

Trans-lunar injection 02:44:26 MET (Mission Elapsed Time)
    Maximum distance from Earth 389,645km
    Lunar orbit insertion, 75:50:00 MET
    First lunar landing, 102:45:39 MET (20 July at 04:17 p.m. EDT).
    First step on moon, 10:56:15 p.m. EDT
    End of EVA, 111:39:13 MET (01:09 a.m. EDT)
    First liftoff from moon, 124:22:00.8 MET (1:54 p.m. EDT)
    LM-CSM docking, 128:03:00 MET
    Trans-earth injection, 135:23:52.3 MET

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where were you??

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,109
    Kingsville Texas, 5 years old, I remember watching while playing with my cardboard/thick paper model of the lunar lander.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_sWmD6NvMY]YouTube - CBS News - Apollo 11 Moon Landing, July 1969 - part 1!![/ame]

3. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I was in Cocoa Beach Fla. I went to the skating rink at 5pm they had just landed, got home at 9pm and remember telling my dad, "What they haven't come out yet? Then they did. I ended up not missing anything.

I do remember when they came back they were in isolation for many days. It was like a news blackout until the came out of that isolation.

It was an incredible thing to watch those missions launch. At that time, nobody that I knew when asked where I was from and I said Cocoa Beach knew where the hell it was. I finally always had to answer them with, "I dream of Jeannie" then they go, oh yeah. LOL

4. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    [​IMG]

The plaque left behind on the lower portion of the L.E.M.

Anyone see the typo??

5. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    no I don't see it, other than Richard Nixon's middle name isn't there. Am I tired or is it a big typo?

6. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,109
    A.D. should come before 1969.

7. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I remember reading a little back that those who went to the moon reported to see UFOs on the way up there, and even reportedly was told to get off the moon because there was a base there.

Where were those links..

Apollo 11 UFO – Story of the Apollo 11 UFO Sighting

With the amount of galaxies out there, it'd be ignorant to assume there is not other lifeforms out there that are more advanced than us.

Oh and the base part:

The Moon, Alien Presence on the Moon?-UFO Casebook Files

8. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    The correct construction of the date is A.D. 1969.

When I visited the Space Coast, I heard stories about the first Saturn V shattering windows in Titusville....Did that happen in Cocoa Beach, too??

9. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    Yes it did but not many. I was 11 years old when 13 landed, but my Dad use to take us all closer to the cape, out on the beach to watch the launches.

All of Brevard county these days is unrecognizable to me. It's so massive, heck Ron Jon's use to be a tiny little one story building, a shack! Now it's 3 or 4 blocks long! I have lots of stories and memories of Brevard County, and my family still lives there but in Palm Bay now. I'm hoping to go visit very soon.

10. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    On the morning of the launch, I was a junior engineer for Westinghouse.
    In the men's head I passed another junior engineer and we bumped our hands up high (high five? -We were on our way!) over this remarkable accomplishment of our country's space program. The excitment seemed palpable. That was on a Wednesday morning.

The touch down on the moon occured late on Sunday evening, an announcement was made on our local TV station but we had to wait until the evening news on Monday to see the video recording of it. And I remember the exact place I was standing and who I was with...

(Thanks, Dude, for the comprehensive information on the OP and everyone elso too}