What do you think about sex ed?

I read that article several months ago and will have to reread it because my memory tells me it did state that pregnancies rates are higher among evangelicals. But I could be wrong.

However, if evangelicals are active earlier and many evangelicals believe in abstinence only sex ed then wouldn't it be logical to expect they would have a higher rate of pregnancy as a result? And if the pregnancy rate is not higher, what is happening to keep it at the same rate or lower?

A lot of evangelicals don't believe in birth control of any form. The sex is natural, and any children that result...so be it.

This is especially true in mormons. Many mormon familes have several children.

There was a show on TLC or some similar channel that was about a mormon family that had like 5 kids, all of which had autism of one degree or another. The ages were varied, from one all the way up to 14. So this means that by the time they had the second child, it was confirmed that there was a problem with autism, but yet they continued on for YEARS still having unprotected sex, resulting in 3 more autistic children.

To me, willingly continuing to bring children into the world that are all but guaranteed to have a serious disorder like autism is about as irresponsible as it gets. At what point do your morals about birth control cross the line?

By the tone I detect in your post.....only the healthy, mentally and physically, are worth bearing? .....

Yeah eugenics.....:rolleyes:

The most beautiful people, spiritually, I have seen born on this planet are less than the world's view of perfection.....and the most evil and corrupt come from what this world deems to be perfect.

Thank you.

God's Perfection: The Story of a Special Needs Child

A lot of evangelicals don't believe in birth control of any form. The sex is natural, and any children that result...so be it.

There was a show on TLC or some similar channel that was about a mormon family that had like 5 kids, all of which had autism of one degree or another. The ages were varied, from one all the way up to 14. So this means that by the time they had the second child, it was confirmed that there was a problem with autism, but yet they continued on for YEARS still having unprotected sex, resulting in 3 more autistic children.

To me, willingly continuing to bring children into the world that are all but guaranteed to have a serious disorder like autism is about as irresponsible as it gets. At what point do your morals about birth control cross the line?

By the tone I detect in your post.....only the healthy, mentally and physically, are worth bearing? .....

The most beautiful people, spiritually, I have seen born on this planet are less than the world's view of perfection.....and the most evil and corrupt come from what this world deems to be perfect.

Thank you.

No, thank you...

I've learned more from special needs people than I ever have from those who have perfect lives. And while I learned a lot from the family of the special needs child, I learned so much more from the child. I'm terrible at integrating my actual thoughts into words....and can only say, I am humbled by those best amongst us beyond expression.

Thank you.

No, thank you...

I've learned more from special needs people than I ever have from those who have perfect lives. And while I learned a lot from the family of the special needs child, I learned so much more from the child. I'm terrible at integrating my actual thoughts into words....and can only say, I am humbled by those best amongst us beyond expression.

Autism has many spectrums. I just can't imagine a world where every child is "perfect", can you? All children have value,and I bet all the parents of special needs kids think so too.

Here are some people who have autism by the way:

Famous People with Autism - LoveToKnow Autism

I taught a class of DD children a long time ago (I know, I already mentioned that) but after having been around them, I haven't felt sorry for them, I envy them, even to this day I envy them.

Here is the thing........Expecting teens to remain abstinent is not reasonable so we had better teach them the best ways to stop unwanted pregs and STDs. Now if it is taught that abstinence is the ONLY 100% way to avoid pregs and STDs then I am o.k. with that.
i just want them to teach the truth
like the best way to avoid pregnancy is to abstain, but if you cant do that, here are some things that can help you avoid it
because abstaining is the only 100% effect birth control method
then just hit them with the truth

Here is the thing........Expecting teens to remain abstinent is not reasonable so we had better teach them the best ways to stop unwanted pregs and STDs. Now if it is taught that abstinence is the ONLY 100% way to avoid pregs and STDs then I am o.k. with that.
i just want them to teach the truth
like the best way to avoid pregnancy is to abstain, but if you cant do that, here are some things that can help you avoid it
because abstaining is the only 100% effect birth control method
then just hit them with the truth

Yep, that's why I say, to enforce the best choice show what the diseases do to, not just how to avoid them. It's the lack of fear that is missing these days.

Planting seeds for later on when that 5th grader is in high school (or middle school, these days) and gets knocked up.

I guess maybe it is just impossible for me to imagine the idea of abortion to be appealing by any stretch of the imagination. Just a slight hangup I seem to have.

Immie

Since you'll never be in a position to need one, you have the luxury of not ever having to find the idea of abortion appealing.
Your hang up is that you are a man. :eusa_whistle:

Then I guess my hang-up is being too educated and responsible, because I have never found them appealing, either.

I read that article several months ago and will have to reread it because my memory tells me it did state that pregnancies rates are higher among evangelicals. But I could be wrong.

However, if evangelicals are active earlier and many evangelicals believe in abstinence only sex ed then wouldn't it be logical to expect they would have a higher rate of pregnancy as a result? And if the pregnancy rate is not higher, what is happening to keep it at the same rate or lower?

You obviously missed the point, AND my tone.

I wasn't referring to abortion, what I was saying is why would you continually conceive more children when it has been confirmed that you are guaranteed to have autistic children?

No one really knows what an autistic child goes through themselves, but from the looks of it it's pretty awful. I can't imagine why you would willingly bring someone into the world when you know they're going to be autistic. After the second one, I would think they would have put a lid on that and left well enough alone.

My post had nothing to do with eugenics. I would never advocate taking anyone's life because of how they were born. I would, however, suggest not having anymore children if it's apparent that they're all going to have disorders like that. To me, that's a horrible thing to do to a person. Autistic children go through hell trying to live their lives.

Second, I did not see anything that supports your statement that says the rate of evangelical unwed pregnancies is higher than that of the general population. It did say evangelicals are active earlier (note this) than other religious groups. It said nothing about general population.

Immie

Anyone who bring 5 kids in to this world, autistic or not, is being very selfish.

I wasn't referring to abortion, what I was saying is why would you continually conceive more children when it has been confirmed that you are guaranteed to have autistic children?

No one really knows what an autistic child goes through themselves, but from the looks of it it's pretty awful. I can't imagine why you would willingly bring someone into the world when you know they're going to be autistic. After the second one, I would think they would have put a lid on that and left well enough alone.

My post had nothing to do with eugenics. I would never advocate taking anyone's life because of how they were born. I would, however, suggest not having anymore children if it's apparent that they're all going to have disorders like that. To me, that's a horrible thing to do to a person. Autistic children go through hell trying to live their lives.
The second child of two friends of mine has cystic fibrosis. After he was diagnosed they discovered that they both carry the gene for it and that any future children would have a 50% chance of having CF too. They did decide to go ahead and have anther child who thankfully does not have CF. I would not have taken the chance. I would have adopted if having a third child meant that much to me. However their youngest is one of my most favorite kids in the world, so I am glad they had him.

Anyone who bring 5 kids in to this world, autistic or not, is being very selfish.

I'll let my dear old mom know that, since I'm the sixth kid she had! :eek:

I'll let my dear old mom know that, since I'm the sixth kid she had! :eek:
My mother had 5. I told her she was excused because back then nobody worried about over population. Your mother is too. :lol:

I don't expect anything from any human being. I do however expect the government to stay out of certain matters that are none of their business and that they are ill equipped to deal with as much as they are health care.

This is not the 1950's. Do you really think todays' teens have no clue about how babies are made or how sexual activity carries risks?

This generation and several before have had more information come at them from schools,media,electronic devices and friends and family.

Let schools get the reading and writing scores improved first please.

The second child of two friends of mine has cystic fibrosis. After he was diagnosed they discovered that they both carry the gene for it and that any future children would have a 50% chance of having CF too. They did decide to go ahead and have anther child who thankfully does not have CF. I would not have taken the chance. I would have adopted if having a third child meant that much to me. However their youngest is one of my most favorite kids in the world, so I am glad they had him.

Well Arawyn apparently thinks your belief is inline with eugenicism. Not wanting to continue to conceive children that have an overwhelming chance of having a serious disorder must be eugenics :rolleyes:

In your friends' case, it was 50%. In this show, where all 5 children over a span of 14 years ended up autistic, I'd say the percentage was MUCH higher. Obviously it was 100% for the first 5. Whether or not it would have ALWAYS remained 100% is still in question, of course, but why keep tempting fate at that point?

Autism is such a horrible disorder. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, LET ALONE a potential child of mine. At that point, I think I'd feel ok weighing the differences between using birth control, or just staying abstinent. An all-loving God would most likely approve of EITHER decision.

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more. Abstinence is best, but if that doesn't happen for whatever reason knowledge is second best. Arm them with both.

Couldn't agree more. Abstinence is best, but if that doesn't happen for whatever reason knowledge is second best. Arm them with both.
while there are some fringe groups that would prefer to only teach one or the toher, i agree, teach the truth and let it fall as it may

The only problem I have with sex-ed in school is that it should be taught by parents. Why do we need the schools to teach our kids something like that, when as parents we are perfectly capable of doing it ourselves? We as parents already know about sex, hence having the children that we have. So we're well capable of passing on the knowledge.

The majority of kids learn sex through their peers anyway, whether there's sex-ed or not.

Parents are typically reluctant to want to talk about that subject with their children, and are all too willing to concede the responsibility to schools if it means one less difficult parental responsibility to have to handle.

To me, it's no different than the parents who forgoe putting in the work to teach their children how to read because they'll just be learning it once they start kindergarten anyway.

Why even HAVE kids if you don't want to teach them as much as possible?

Maybe sex ed should be taught by parents, no make that definitely it should be, but there are too many cases where it's not. And guess who ends up paying? The children and their child, yes. But also the rest of us. When it becomes a public issue, IMO the public has the right to take steps to try to prevent it.

Forum List

Back