What do you think about sex ed?

I thought this was going to be a really fun thread... Then I saw that last word, "ed". Darn it. Well, seeing as how you asked. I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to sex ed. Both of my kids are grown and left the nest long ago and are parents on their own. I would not have wanted some school teacher giving them the low down on sex. Sex ed, if the parents are responsible like they should be, is something that should be taught in the home. I think it should be a private matter so the morals and ethics that go along with sex could be taught by the parents along their own religious guidelines (if that would apply) or according to the values the parents want the kids to learn. This is just my opinion, but the school system has no business teaching kids this stuff.
Obviously, from the facts presented, some parents fail to educate their kids about pregnancy and std prevention.
Europe has far fewer incidents of both.

Do you honestly think that kids are getting pregnant and contracting STDs because they're ignorant about sex and contraceptives? Well, it's you, so you probably do.

My daughter is nineteen going on twenty. I've known most of the kids she hangs around with junior high, and I listen to them talk. They're less technically aware of the mechanics of human anatomy than my daughter - one assumes because unlike her, they didn't have parents formally educated in the subject - but they know more than enough about how to avoid getting pregnant or catching diseases. A common, and alarming, theme I hear from them is that they "just don't want to be bothered with that". Condoms are "yucky", the Pill is "a pain to remember", they "don't like getting shots", etc. Besides, having babies is no big deal. Lots of their friends have them, and you just get welfare and bug the guy for child support, right?

Teenagers aren't victims of a lack of info. They're victims of their own hormone- and youth-driven ignorance and a society that has given up on trying to protect them from it.
Which is not to say that I think it's wrong to teach them the basics of how their bodies work. I just think it's wrong to believe that pure data will be enough to get them to make mature, responsible decisions on their own.

New question.

What do you all think about STD ed? Just the facts, like that condoms reduce transmission of most all STDs by close to 100%.

You really think that? Then YOU need some STD-ed. Condoms are only about 85% effective, and that's not even counting those STDs that can be transmitted by the genital areas that aren't covered by condoms in the first place, like syphilis and HPV.

New question.

What do you all think about STD ed? Just the facts, like that condoms reduce transmission of most all STDs by close to 100%.

You really think that? Then YOU need some STD-ed. Condoms are only about 85% effective, and that's not even counting those STDs that can be transmitted by the genital areas that aren't covered by condoms in the first place, like syphilis and HPV.
and condoms arent really that effective for birth control
when you remember that women are only fertile for about 5 days a month
how many times did the condom fail but she still didnt get PG because it wasnt at her fertile time?

How is teaching kids how the reproductive system works an indoctrination? And into what, exactly?

they teach em about gay sex, an anus is not part of the reproductive system

Many programs also teach them about practices I would likely get banned for naming. It's always amused me that the same things that are considered unacceptable obscenity among adults is considered acceptable school curriculum for children.

Alright, I'll bight, name one school that does these. Just one, even one that teaches about actual gay sex and not just telling them that gay people exist.

I posted a topic once on another forum regarding "Teaching masturbation in schools" as some schools in the north are using this technique. What do you think about that?

Jamie

I'm thinking that if someone can't figure out how to do that for themselves, then they really do need some training and education in that area.

In the state of NJ schools have been mandated to teach AIDs ed. substance abuse. black history.. Holocaust ed Constitution Day. fine arts, foreign language, etc Next year we will have to include financial literacy and "sexting" in our curriculum. All of it is important. But if Johnny can't read, tough shit. As long as he knows how to use a condom and can correctly identify a ballet position, the nirmrods in Trenton can justify Johnnys 250,000 educational costs. And their own salaries.

We will soon be offering universal pre-school. Parents will no longer be required to teach toileting skills.it "takes a Village" idiocy.

they teach em about gay sex, an anus is not part of the reproductive system

Many programs also teach them about practices I would likely get banned for naming. It's always amused me that the same things that are considered unacceptable obscenity among adults is considered acceptable school curriculum for children.

Alright, I'll bight, name one school that does these. Just one, even one that teaches about actual gay sex and not just telling them that gay people exist.

Sorry. I intended to answer this days ago, and then I got busy and totally forgot. Better late than never, I hope.

Provincetown, Massachusetts.

Is abortion part of the sex education program in the USA or is it still taboo?

when I had sex ed they didnt teach about abortion just on std and periods for young girls and changes in your body. things like that.

I can't imagine what knowledge, information, and hard fact one could offer about abortion that would make people MORE inclined to get them. The abortion industry, and the abortion lobby in politics, rather counts on people's ignorance to further their aims. So no, of course schools aren't going to explore that subject in any kind of depth.

Different states have different curriculums. NJ teaches a compprehenive program that includes just about everything. But just like any other subject, there isn't enough time to teach every chapter. Most teachers in my school pick and choose what they feel is most important (and prob what they feel comfortable with) Our health textbook has a supplemental workbook on Aids with graphic diagrams of anal and oral sex. No one uses it.

Abortion is presented in the book as an option but I imagine some teachers might skip that for religious reasons.

when I had sex ed they didnt teach about abortion just on std and periods for young girls and changes in your body. things like that.

I can't imagine what knowledge, information, and hard fact one could offer about abortion that would make people MORE inclined to get them. The abortion industry, and the abortion lobby in politics, rather counts on people's ignorance to further their aims. So no, of course schools aren't going to explore that subject in any kind of depth.

Planned Parenthood doesn't care about making abortion appealing. They only care about convincing young ladies that an abortion is their right and anyone that would interfere with that right hates women.

Immie

I dont think abortion is right never said that but the ?? was asked does sex ed teach that and for the 3 years I took it in school they didnt

Planned Parenthood doesn't care about making abortion appealing. They only care about convincing young ladies that an abortion is their right and anyone that would interfere with that right hates women.

Immie

Um, that IS trying to make it appealing.

I dont think abortion is right never said that but the ?? was asked does sex ed teach that and for the 3 years I took it in school they didnt

And I said that sex ed classes don't teach about abortion because offering any actual information and facts about it would make it less appealing. Public schools are run by leftists, the same people who militantly promote abortion.

Immie

I guess maybe if you consider that appealing.

Immie

Immie

I guess maybe if you consider that appealing.

Immie

If you're a dumb kid who's running scared because she just found out that her boyfriend knocked her up? Yeah, it's appealing to think that you can just make it all go away, and tell yourself that you're being a "mature woman" who's just "exercising her rights", instead of doing the equivalent of hiding your head under the blankets.

Forum List

Back