What Do You Think About Bluegrass Music ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
I am a Bluegrass musician. I play the guitar, the mandolin, and the fiddle, and I sing lead and harmony in Bluegrass songs. I've been playing this music for over 40 years, and I love it. I should mention that I have been playing Rock music for also this long period of time too, and I play the 6 string electric guitar, and I played with a Rock band for 8 years in clubs.

Although I like both types of music very much, and classical too, there is no doubt in my mind that no kind of music stirs me right down to my soul as much as Bluegrass. The bluesy solos, the mixture of so many different instruments,* and most of all the great harmony singing style, derived from the southern spiritual tradition (both black and white churches) is really moving.

I think it's unfortunate that Bluegrass never took hold commercially, as did rock and other types of music, but for those of us who have known this music for a long time, we can get tons of it online in videos, and it will be around for a long time, whether it's a big moneymaker or not.

Because Bluegrass isn't a commercial music (my cable TV company doesn't even include it in their lineup of about 30 types of music), it's not too well known. So I'm just wondering if PF members do know about Bluegrass, if they have much knowledge of it, and what they think about it (if anything).

* It's also interesting how Bluegrass music combines quite a variety of stringed instruments which hail form different parts of the world. The guitar from Spain, the banjo from Africa, the mandolin & Violin (fiddle) from Italy, the dobro guitar from Haweii. Some of these may have also had forerunners from other countries too. And although Bluegrass is thought of as a white people's music, it does have connections to black music too, in the southern negro spiritual style singing, and the banjo, which for quite some time was the favorite instrument of the American negro (so said Thomas Jefferson)

Last edited:
I am a Bluegrass musician. I play the guitar, the mandolin, and the fiddle, and I sing lead and harmony in Bluegrass songs. I've been playing this music for over 40 years, and I love it. I should mention that I have been playing Rock music for also this long period of time too, and I play the 6 string electric guitar, and I played with a Rock band for 8 years in clubs.

Although I like both types of music very much, and classical too, there is no doubt in my mind that no kind of music stirs me right down to my soul as much as Bluegrass. The bluesy solos, the mixture of so many different instruments, and most of all the great harmony singing style, derived from the southern spiritual tradition (both black and white churches) is really moving.

I think it's unfortunate that Bluegrass never took hold commercially, as did rock and other types of music, but for those of us who have known this music for a long time, we can get tons of it online in videos, and it will be around for a long time, whether it's a big moneymaker or not.

Because Bluegrass isn't a commercial music (my cable TV company doesn't even include it in their lineup of about 30 types of music), it's not too well known. So I'm just wondering if PF members do know about Bluegrass, if they have much knowledge of it, and what they think about it (if anything).

I kinda see FOLK music-----like ----some of judy Collins and----as BLUE GRASS

Leave it to a Jew in NY city to be completely clueless about blue grass. lol

Folk and blue grass are distant cousins, but I don't think Judy Collins sounds anything like Blue grass, seriously.

I love listening to Blue Grass on the Weekends when they play it on American Roots. If I had the money and time, this would've been great to attend.

American Roots Bluegrass Festival

I'm not a musician, but I have always loved Bluegrass--real bluegrass where all the instruments are stringed. I used to visit a coffee house in Fort Edward, NY where a bluegrass band often visited, and when they played Bluegrass Autumn (a duet for mandolin) I always came close to climax. They had a hammered dulcimer, too.
Wonderful music; wish I could remember the name of their group.

Depends.

Old timey bluegrass like Bill Munroe, Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson doing traditional songs is great.

What I've heard termed as "new grass" like Yonder Mountain String Band, or bluegrass bands that do modern covers with drums or other non-traditional instruments suck, imo.

David Grisman is pretty great, though.

Bluegrass is pretty popular here in Colorado, especially among hippies and outdoorsy sports types (like climbers, rafters, hikers - not just fishermen and hunters).

Although I like both types of music very much, and classical too, there is no doubt in my mind that no kind of music stirs me right down to my soul as much as Bluegrass. The bluesy solos, the mixture of so many different instruments, and most of all the great harmony singing style, derived from the southern spiritual tradition (both black and white churches) is really moving.

LOVE it! I have played a lot of bluegrass myself but I never played the traditional upright bass. That's pretty impressive that you can play that any instruments.

Although I like both types of music very much, and classical too, there is no doubt in my mind that no kind of music stirs me right down to my soul as much as Bluegrass. The bluesy solos, the mixture of so many different instruments,* and most of all the great harmony singing style, derived from the southern spiritual tradition (both black and white churches) is really moving.

* It's also interesting how Bluegrass music combines quite a variety of stringed instruments which hail form different parts of the world. The guitar from Spain, the banjo from Africa, the mandolin & Violin (fiddle) from Italy, the dobro guitar from Haweii. Some of these may have also had forerunners from other countries too. And although Bluegrass is thought of as a white people's music, it does have connections to black music too, in the southern negro spiritual style singing, and the banjo, which for quite some time was the favorite instrument of the American negro (so said Thomas Jefferson)
He's lying.

protectionist

Thank God that bluegrass hasn't gone commercial. Look what that did to rock and folk music.
Thank God for youtube videos. They can never take away our good ole music from years past. Here's an example with some excellent trio chorus singing (don't miss the ending) >>> (song starts a little bit after the introduction)

I remember when the movie "O Brother where Art Thou" came out. It featured old style bluegrass music for the movie's sound track.

Although the music became very popular with the general public. Many country western stations disliked playing the old style bluegrass songs because they didn't fit into the modern country/rock style the stations were pushing. ....... :cool:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back