What do you remember about Sept 11, 2001?

The Shock. The Smell. The Mobs. the birth of a New Age, that is not so pretty. The Quarantine. The Funeral Processions.

I got a haircut on that day. It was odd, to say the least.

It reminds me of the CBNY song...fucking weird.

Last edited:
Since I worked swing shift I was asleep when someone woke me by pounding on my door. When I got up and opened the door it was one of the airmen I worked with. She told me I needed to move my truck away from the barracks because we were at Threatcon Delta. And she just said "they highjacked our planes". Since Delta is normally reserved for when your own base is under attack I took this to mean our base was under attack. I remember thinking, "why would anyone want to highjack our planes? They are old pieces of junk used for training and have no weapons". But then she went on and said "you know the twin towers? They're gone". I went to her room since I had no television at the time and a few other airmen were in there and thats were I saw the first footage when they were replaying it.

So I just put my uniform on and went into work early. I remember they put a TV out so we could all watch the news, and seeing Palistinians celebrating in the streets.

The Shock. The Smell. The Mobs. the birth of a New Age, that is not so pretty. The Quarantine. The Funeral Processions.

I remember the smell.

Sept. 11th, 2001 was the first full day of my senior year of high school at Stuyvesant High School. (For those who don't know Manhattan, it's about 4 blocks away from the WTC). I remembering walking into the school building, and seeing a bunch of people crowding into the library, where you could see the flaming hole the first plane made in the Tower.

As we were watching, we saw the second plane fireball into the other tower.

We evacuated the building as the second tower fell, the dust cloud covering the entire school.

What I remember most is how New York came together in the weeks after. A stranger handing me his cell phone to call my folks after seeing that mine had no service, people putting up fliers everywhere - but NEVER on top of someone else's fliers. Every blood bank in NY was full by 10PM that night, with most of them still having lines of people waiting to donate. I've never been more proud to be a New Yorker and an American than I was then.

I was in highschool, in computer class (I can still bring you to what exact seat I was sitting in). I clicked on IE, and the default page (yahoo) had a blurb about the first plane that hit the tower. Most of the class had no clue where the WTC was (I did). Next thing we know we see another plane hit. After that the principle came over the PA system and told the school what had happened, and all my teachers for the rest of the day had the news on the tv.

The thing I remember the most was sitting staring at the tv, in complete silence. I will never forget seeing the people jumping off the buildings, and seeing one of the towers fall live-my stomach sank, and I couldn't even move my body-I was in total shock-a feeling I've never felt before or since. The rest of the school day everyone was in disbelief, and it all seems like a blur after that. I remember after school walking up towards my house, with a feeling of intense anger.

Even though I wasn't an adult yet, I was old enough to be pretty much the last generation to grow up in a pre-911 era (mid-teens). And I can't really put my finger on it specifically, but as a society we've changed. It's weird that the newer generations wont really be able to comprehend that.

"Fucking Arab Bastards!"

The first words out of my mouth were "Those fucking Jews".

Funny, mine was on Swedish great grandmothers.

Let me be clear on something. For anyone who might view my expression as racist-

Firstly my surname, along with those of many others, appears in the book "Schindler's List". While I am Catholic, it's apparent (from genealogical studies) that our family does have Jewish roots.

I am one-quarter Gypsy, my paternal grandmother was Rom.
So I'm certainly not insensitive in that respect.

My initial reaction to hearing of the 9/11 attacks stems from my belief that our country's historic relationship with Iseael has over the decades put us on the spot with respect to other nations' actions and idealogies.

Are my feelings the same today as they were on 9/11/01?
Not entirely.

I scanned this entire thread and realized I hadn't yet posted. I was a bit of a newcomer when it was started and probably felt hesitant to relate my experiences on that day.

So there you have it.

9/11 has a new meaning for me.

A good and close friend of mine, kinda like a big bro I never had, died in the Bronx last 9-11, it was a Sunday morning. Was his last day in NYC before returning to ATL. Got hit by a drunken off-duty cop just getting off the beat early in the AM on his way to the gymn.

But the original 9/11, I was in the Bronx at my then business partner's house after an all-nighter working on websites. I remember trying to call all my friends who worked down in and near the WTC to see if they were OK. I wasn't able to get a hold of them until later that night or the next day...all the lines were full/used.

What a day.

581431_278338755600550_372065939_n.jpg

Fox News has been running a documentary on 9/11 every day for the last several days, and watching those images brings back the emotions almost as strong as they were that day. There are some events that are engraved on our hearts forever.

How could anyone calling themselves "free" believe two planes could collapse three steel-framed skyscrapers?

I have stood underneath 767s and watched fuelers put 30,000 gallons of jet fuel in that sucker along with ridiculous amounts of cargo and baggage. That aircraft flying at over 500 mph at sea level is a huge mass hitting those buildings. I am impressed with how long they stood.

These weren't old style skyscrapers, they were 2 of the first with a completely different architectural design. The Empire State Building is built with huge I beams every 16 feet all of the way up to the roof, the trade center 2 main buildings had a central core and the outer skin for the vertical structure, the horizontal structure were space frames made of relatively light steel triangles that were tied to the central core and the outer skin. The building's strength came from everything working together. I understand architecture enough to not doubt what I saw.

What I remember about September 11, 2001 was we were all Americans. People helped each other. People put aside petty differences and thought about what being an American meant

The rest of the world stood up in unison and saluted the US. They acknowledged the role that the US plays in the world and how we have unselfishly done what is best for others

I remember every house on my street flying the American Flag and the unchecked patriotism throughout the country

How could anyone calling themselves "free" believe two planes could collapse three steel-framed skyscrapers?

I have stood underneath 767s and watched fuelers put 30,000 gallons of jet fuel in that sucker along with ridiculous amounts of cargo and baggage. That aircraft flying at over 500 mph at sea level is a huge mass hitting those buildings. I am impressed with how long they stood.

These weren't old style skyscrapers, they were 2 of the first with a completely different architectural design. The Empire State Building is built with huge I beams every 16 feet all of the way up to the roof, the trade center 2 main buildings had a central core and the outer skin for the vertical structure, the horizontal structure were space frames made of relatively light steel triangles that were tied to the central core and the outer skin. The building's strength came from everything working together. I understand architecture enough to not doubt what I saw.
What does your understanding of architecture tell you about the 2.25 seconds of documented free-fall experienced by WTC7, the one steel-framed skyscraper untouched by aircraft?

What does your understanding of architecture tell you about the 2.25 seconds of documented free-fall experienced by WTC7, the one steel-framed skyscraper untouched by aircraft?

It tells me that the building had already collapsed behind the facade that had 2.25 seconds of freefall......

Forum List

Back