What do cruise ships do with their sewage?

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
We were just wondering how much corona virus will spread when those cruise ships dump their untreated sewage. I wonder if anyone has informed them it also needs to be contained and not treated like they normally would dumping it into the oceans.

It is pumped either into sewage tankers which then pump it into sewage treatment plants or in a few cases it is pumped directly into a sewage treatment plant.
If you have ever been on a cruise you will notice that there are different tankers along side the ship at almost every stop.
No ship is allowed to dump untreated sewage or garbage into the ocean. Those kinds of things went out with sailing ships and peg leg crews.
I have a hard time imagining what 4,000 or so people dumping waste directly into the sea would look like but I imagine it would kind of kill the whole cruise ship experience for everyone.

Damn... if only there was some way a person could search for that kind of thing on the Internet... maybe someday someone will develop a program where you could type in your question, hit enter, and get pages and pages of answers... they could call it a "search engine..."

Someday...

It is pumped either into sewage tankers which then pump it into sewage treatment plants or in a few cases it is pumped directly into a sewage treatment plant.
If you have ever been on a cruise you will notice that there are different tankers along side the ship at almost every stop.
No ship is allowed to dump untreated sewage or garbage into the ocean. Those kinds of things went out with sailing ships and peg leg crews.
I have a hard time imagining what 4,000 or so people dumping waste directly into the sea would look like but I imagine it would kind of kill the whole cruise ship experience for everyone.
Found it.

Demand never stops for NYC’s new sewage tankers - Professional Mariner - May 2015

..when I was on the Gator Ships in the 80s, I thought they put trash in bags and threw them overboard ...either weighted down or ''made'' to sink

Damn... if only there was some way a person could search for that kind of thing on the Internet... maybe someday someone will develop a program where you could type in your question, hit enter, and get pages and pages of answers... they could call it a "search engine..."

Someday...
....but nothing wrong with discussing it...plus you get more ideas and maybe some people who know more/factual answers..two heads are better than one

Those tankers emptying the cruise liners sewage who have Corona virus should be treating it as biological waste. It needs to be incinerated or something more extreme. To insure the virus isn't spread it will require a bit more than just being dumped into the municipal plants.
Pathogenic Human Viruses in Coastal Waters

Someday...
....but nothing wrong with discussing it...plus you get more ideas and maybe some people who know more/factual answers..two heads are better than one
I hadn't thought to search for sludge pumpers until Maxdeath mentioned it.

We know what democrats do with the sewage from their bus......

upload_2020-2-8_19-42-55.jpeg

Forum List

Back