What Book is on Your Nightstand?

They didn't mostly end up in the colonies that became the USA, that's probably why.

But Alex Hamilton might been the son of one of those who were transported to the Island as a slave.

The Scots and even more the Irish were treated horribly by their British masters.

While you were reading about slavery, what did they tell you about so called indentured servants?

They were basically nothing but white slaves, too, ya' know.

Most early stock Americans of English, German, Scots and Irish decent are probably also decended from people who were basically little more slaves for the Anglo aristos which basically controlled the colonies from the getgo.

My husband read Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton and it wasn't mentioned that his father might have been a slave. It did mention that there might be a Jewish influence in his family.

You're using the term, "slave" rather loosely. An indentured servant wasn't a slave for life while a slave was expected to be slave for life as well as his children.

Last edited:
You happen to read anything about the millions of Irish slaves the Brits shipped to the islands?

That's one of history's greatest seldom told crimes against humanity.
I have read some in my sociology class, this book I had to read for another plus some of my ancestors were some of them. But if you know any good titles let me know.

The Devil in Dover by Laurie Lebo. I just finished it and recommend it to anyone who isn't a fundamentalist or a creationist.

My husband read Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton and it wasn't mentioned that his father might have been a slave. It did mention that there might be a Jewish influence in his family.

You're using the term, "slave" rather loosely. An indentured servant wasn't a slave for life while a slave was expected to be slave for life as well as his children.
I bet that was interesting! Did it talk about how he shot into the air because by the time him and Burr were in their duel it was more for show and then Burr shot him. Burr was one crazy fool. Maybe that is what happened with Cheney! jk

I'm currently reading Dreams of My Father by Barack Obama. Very good book but I've never been into autobiographies so it's taking me a bit to get through it.

Before that I read The Host by Stephanie Meyer. She's the author of the Twilight saga which my daughter read. The Host is a really good book about aliens who take over human bodies because we can't be trusted with earth due to our destructive nature.

I bet that was interesting! Did it talk about how he shot into the air because by the time him and Burr were in their duel it was more for show and then Burr shot him. Burr was one crazy fool. Maybe that is what happened with Cheney! jk

According to my husband, Alexander Hamilton was brilliant. I can't wait to read that one. I have so many books I have to finish.

I'm reading a memoir by Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking. The book discussion club is meeting Thursday so I only have 2 days to read it! :confused:

I want to go back to reading some more history books.

I'm sorry to say it's the Encyclopedia of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce.

But because I'm doing a lot of driving at present, I'm also listening to Huckleberry Finn on audio CD. Does that count?

I'm sorry to say it's the Encyclopedia of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce.

But because I'm doing a lot of driving at present, I'm also listening to Huckleberry Finn on audio CD. Does that count?

Do you honestly make your own furniture and of course the cd's count. I do that to when we are traveling on the road. We listened to Salem's Lot by Stephen King.

Currently reading two books. Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen.

I was excited about reading the Loewen book, but I'm starting to think he is an America hater based on his writings about Christopher Columbus and the Pilgrims.

Ghost Train to the Eastern Star by Paul Theroux.

So far, I'm not enthralled with it, incidently.

Currently reading two books. Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen.

I was excited about reading the Loewen book, but I'm starting to think he is an America hater based on his writings about Christopher Columbus and the Pilgrims.

holy shit.. those two books are from the opposite end of the spectrum, eh?

Im reading the Dying Earth series at the moment.

Rereading Berlin Stories by Christopher Isherwood for the 3rd time.

Do you honestly make your own furniture and of course the cd's count. I do that to when we are traveling on the road. We listened to Salem's Lot by Stephen King.

Yes, I make furniture. I'm currently doing a 3 month course at a school in Maine learning about different techniques. When finished, I plan to start my own business.

I'm currently making 2 slab-construction nightstands in cherry, with basswood drawers and ebony accents and inlay.

When I go back to school at the end of the month, we are doing 4 weeks on laminating, steam bending and veneering.

Custom hardwood furniture can sell for a lot of money, but ask any furniture maker whether they make big profits and they'll roar with laughter.

HP Lovecraft and D&D. Lovecraft when going to sleep for sweet dreams and D&D for when just bored and like to relive great memories.

have you ever explored the connection between Lovecraft's Cthulu and the Conan books?

have you ever explored the connection between Lovecraft's Cthulu and the Conan books?

Many authors have used Lovecraft's writings for inspiration, King ripped most of his stories from Lovecraft almost directly. I haven't read Conan (they don't interest me, too much goody goody crap).

Many authors have used Lovecraft's writings for inspiration, King ripped most of his stories from Lovecraft almost directly. I haven't read Conan (they don't interest me, too much goody goody crap).

yea.. but it's interesting to consider the connection between two friendly authors like that.

Lately, I've been on a non-fiction spree.

Now I'm reading The Blooding by Joseph Wambaugh. It tells the story of the discovery of genetic fingerprinting by scientist Alec Jeffrey. It's well-written and there's never a dull moment in the book.

Thew Blue Book/Social Register: do we know each other?

btw, I used to live in Bay Ridge...87th and 4th over the Greek market and on Bay Ridge Blvd(?) and 6th

Forum List

Back