What Book is on Your Nightstand?

I'm between books. Last I read was The Sacred Bones by Michael Byrnes. Great Dan Brown-esque book. I think Byrnes has a lot of potential. His first book was much better than Brown's.

I'm considering reading the Twilight series, because all my friends tell me they're great. They look too romancy for me, much moreso than the Harry Potter series.

I'm most anxious about Dan Brown's new book though. It was supposed to be out this year, but didn't happen. :(

"No Humans Involved", by Kelley Armstrong. I'm doing kind of a big push to get some work done on the novel I'm trying to write, so I'm sticking as much as I can to paranormal fiction in order to remain in the right mindset.

know thy enemy....

The Grand Chessboard

Brzezinski is familiarly precinct, efficient and far reaching. In this book he puts on display his characteristically deep analytic skills on a topic he has spent many years as a professional strategist and lecturer. Though at the time of its publishing, when the world was in a much more optimistic mood and globalism was on the march, his approach seemed to hark back to a bygone era, nowadays in this time of hawkish politics, he does not seem to be that far off the mark. His rationalism should not be confused with the views of the current ideologues on the right though.
Certainly, his take on US [power], and its logic of inevitability, may not be that acceptable to some, but still, it only reflects reality, not necessarily a moral judgment. Regardless, rather than simply focusing on and explaining the present based on recent past, like many professional talking heads do, he has actually made some bold projections into far future.
He points at Asia as the center of this grand chess game and concludes it is there where the final moves will be played out. With his excellent knowledge of Eastern Europe, Russia and Far East, he makes an excellent argument.
His few attempts at placing Middle East and Islam in the picture fall far short though; he fails to go beyond worn-out clichés. When was the last time an Islamic revolution got exported anywhere, really?
This is a valuable and interesting book reveals much about super-power strategic thinking process, written very clearly, and I added the last star for his efforts to draw a map of the future geo-politics. Highly recommended for anyone interested in these topics.

Amazon.com: Alaturka's review of The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy And...

Last edited:
know thy enemy....

The Grand Chessboard

Brzezinski is familiarly precinct, efficient and far reaching. In this book he puts on display his characteristically deep analytic skills on a topic he has spent many years as a professional strategist and lecturer. Though at the time of its publishing, when the world was in a much more optimistic mood and globalism was on the march, his approach seemed to hark back to a bygone era, nowadays in this time of hawkish politics, he does not seem to be that far off the mark. His rationalism should not be confused with the views of the current ideologues on the right though.
Certainly, his take on US [power], and its logic of inevitability, may not be that acceptable to some, but still, it only reflects reality, not necessarily a moral judgment. Regardless, rather than simply focusing on and explaining the present based on recent past, like many professional talking heads do, he has actually made some bold projections into far future.
He points at Asia as the center of this grand chess game and concludes it is there where the final moves will be played out. With his excellent knowledge of Eastern Europe, Russia and Far East, he makes an excellent argument.
His few attempts at placing Middle East and Islam in the picture fall far short though; he fails to go beyond worn-out clichés. When was the last time an Islamic revolution got exported anywhere, really?
This is a valuable and interesting book reveals much about super-power strategic thinking process, written very clearly, and I added the last star for his efforts to draw a map of the future geo-politics. Highly recommended for anyone interested in these topics.

Amazon.com: Alaturka's review of The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy And...

Wow, I have to applaud you for reading this. So, let me ask you....do you feel that it's true Brzezinski is the leader in the grand scheme of NWO?
Alan Stang -- Your New President, Zbig Brother

WASHINGTON — Senator Obama is standing by one of his top foreign policy advisers, Zbigniew Brzezinski, despite concerns that aligning with the former aide to President Carter will undermine Mr. Obama's support with the pro-Israel community.

Mr. Brzezinski, who served as national security adviser in the Carter administration, introduced Mr. Obama before a major policy speech on Iraq yesterday in Iowa, where the Illinois senator praised his work on the Camp David Accords and called him "one of our most outstanding thinkers."

Despite Criticism, Obama Stands By Adviser Brzezinski - September 13, 2007 - The New York Sun

Sovereignty is a word that is used often but it has really no specific meaning. Sovereignty today is nominal. Any number of countries that are sovereign are sovereign only nominally and relatively.
Zbigniew Brzezinski

“It is also a fact that America is too democratic at home to be autocratic abroad. This limits the use of America's power, especially its capacity for military intimidation. Never before has a populist democracy attained international supremacy. But the pursuit of power is not a goal that commands popular passion, except in conditions of a sudden threat or challenge to the public's sense of domestic well-being. The economic self-denial (that is, defense spending) and the human sacrifice (casualties, even among professional soldiers) required in the effort are uncongenial to democratic instincts. Democracy is inimical to imperial mobilization." (p.35)

The technotronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values (like liberty and democracy). Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities.
- Between Two Ages: America's Role in the Technetronic Era, 1970

"In the technotronic society the trend would seem to be towards the aggregation of the individual support of millions of uncoordinated citizens, easily within the reach of magnetic and attractive personalities exploiting the latest communications techniques to manipulate emotions and control reason."
- Between Two Ages : America's Role in the Technetronic Era - 1970

ok Im not feeling well...have to stop now..it will take forever to read the book because the waves of nausea that come every few pages

Zbigniew Brzezinski - The Grand Chessboard

I started reading Amartya Sen's Development as Freedom a little bit ago but been too busy to finish it... Still on the nightstand though. It's friggin' awesome thus far. Now that I think about it, I really gotta sit down and finish this one.

" Nothing Like it in the World" by Stephen Ambrose.

It's about the building of the transcontinental railroad.

I just read Slavery In Colonial America 1619 to 1776 by Betty Woods.
Kind of boring but I had to read it for a class but it was interesting, learn something new everyday about slavery and colonial times.

You happen to read anything about the millions of Irish slaves the Brits shipped to the islands?

That's one of history's greatest seldom told crimes against humanity.

You happen to read anything about the millions of Irish slaves the Brits shipped to the islands?

That's one of history's greatest seldom told crimes against humanity.

This is fascinating. I'll need to read up on this. We went to Jamestown and this was never mentioned.

Just finished, The Hidden History of the Human Race Forbidden Archeology by Michael A Cremo and Richard L. Thompson. Hard read but worth it.

This is fascinating. I'll need to read up on this. We went to Jamestown and this was never mentioned.

They didn't mostly end up in the colonies that became the USA, that's probably why.

But Alex Hamilton might been the son of one of those who were transported to the Island as a slave.

The Scots and even more the Irish were treated horribly by their British masters.

While you were reading about slavery, what did they tell you about so called indentured servants?

They were basically nothing but white slaves, too, ya' know.

Most early stock Americans of English, German, Scots and Irish decent are probably also decended from people who were basically little more slaves for the Anglo aristos which basically controlled the colonies from the getgo.

They didn't mostly end up in the colonies that became the USA, that's probably why.

But Alex Hamilton might been the son of one of those who were transported to the Island as a slave.

The Scots and even more the Irish were treated horribly by their British masters.

While you were reading about slavery, what did they tell you about so called indentured servants?

Most early stock Americans of English, German, Scots and Irish decent are probably also decended from people who were basically little more slaves for the Anglo aristos which basically controlled the colonies from the getgo.

I read a book once that talked about how social attitudes toward women accused of murder and other violent crimes changed depending on the prevalent trends in women's freedom in society. It mentioned specifically that during the heyday of indentured servitude in the US, there was a rash of largely unprosecuted cases of female indentured servants killing their male masters and committing infanticide because they had been raped and forcibly impregnated.

You'll find out a lot about this history in New Orleans. In fact, Anne Rice touches upon it in some of her books.

Forum List

Back