What Book is on Your Nightstand?

holy shit.. those two books are from the opposite end of the spectrum, eh?

Im reading the Dying Earth series at the moment.

I didn't think of it that way, but I suppose you're right. One glorifies America while the other denigrates it.

Yes, I make furniture. I'm currently doing a 3 month course at a school in Maine learning about different techniques. When finished, I plan to start my own business.

I'm currently making 2 slab-construction nightstands in cherry, with basswood drawers and ebony accents and inlay.

When I go back to school at the end of the month, we are doing 4 weeks on laminating, steam bending and veneering.

Custom hardwood furniture can sell for a lot of money, but ask any furniture maker whether they make big profits and they'll roar with laughter.

That is so neat; too bad you are not in the states because I could dig that kind of furniture. I've always admired people who can make things. That's a talent.

Many authors have used Lovecraft's writings for inspiration, King ripped most of his stories from Lovecraft almost directly. I haven't read Conan (they don't interest me, too much goody goody crap).

Here is a message I got from Stephen King's personal assistant:

"Lovecraft has been an influence and Steve has paid homage to Lovecraft's work by incorporating aspects in his but an homage, not plagiarism, is all it is."

I can't make a judgement because I've never read Lovecraft.

I dunno about "denigrates" America so much as bursts a few textbook myths about the creation of our nation.

Anyway, the last "conservative" book that I've read, or so I was told, was White Noise by Dellilo. I don't know that I caught all that much of a political ideaology from it but it was a good read anyway.

I will DECLARE one of my new years resolutions to read an Ayn Rand novel in 2009.

I dunno about "denigrates" America so much as bursts a few textbook myths about the creation of our nation.

Anyway, the last "conservative" book that I've read, or so I was told, was White Noise by Dellilo. I don't know that I caught all that much of a political ideaology from it but it was a good read anyway.

I will DECLARE one of my new years resolutions to read an Ayn Rand novel in 2009.

Absolutely, you have to read Ayn Rand. The above book I mentioned does denigrate America, particularly, Christopher Columbus, Helen Keller, Woodrow Wilson, and the pilgrims for 1/4 of the book.

I might try White Noise. Was it a fast read?

King did not rip off Lovecraft. The other (crappy) horror novelist tries to, but he does it badly. Dean Koontz? I hate that guy's stuff.
King created his own genre. It's closer to Poe than Lovecraft...or maybe a morphing of the two, with a little Bram Stoker thrown in. It's completely his own.
And Conan is not goody-goody. Robert Howard, who was apparently mentally ill, wrote Conan under the misapprehension that Conan was actually standing behind him with sword raised to chop off his head if he stopped writing.

My bookshelf as of today:

The Qu'ran (I haven't really read it yet, it's written in Arabic or whatever and then in English, and is backwards, and I'm having trouble trying to make that work for me. I don't see me getting through it).

Bias.
Mother Earth Father Sky or something like that, about a woman somewhere around 7500 BC, but that one's finished

Duchess, a novel about Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, by Amanda Forman (2001?). It was actually a pretty good read but I'm crazy history (and it is historical, it's not a novel).

Who Wrote the Bible, but I read about two pages and got pissed and don't think I'll finish it. It's essentially yet another book written with no intent to actually discover anything, but rather to debunk with no interest in actually finding anything out.

I can't remember what else I have there.

hey baba.. Check out Robert Mccammon

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Blue-World-Robert-McCammon/dp/0671695185/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230073017&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Blue World: Robert McCammon: Books[/ame]

or, of you are up for a good dated pulpy vampire book from the 80s check out The Light At The End by Skipp and Spector

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Light-At-End-John-Skipp/dp/0553254510]Amazon.com: The Light At The End: John Skipp, Craig Spector: Books[/ame]

King did not rip off Lovecraft. The other (crappy) horror novelist tries to, but he does it badly. Dean Koontz? I hate that guy's stuff.
King created his own genre. It's closer to Poe than Lovecraft...or maybe a morphing of the two, with a little Bram Stoker thrown in. It's completely his own.
And Conan is not goody-goody. Robert Howard, who was apparently mentally ill, wrote Conan under the misapprehension that Conan was actually standing behind him with sword raised to chop off his head if he stopped writing.

My bookshelf as of today:

The Qu'ran (I haven't really read it yet, it's written in Arabic or whatever and then in English, and is backwards, and I'm having trouble trying to make that work for me. I don't see me getting through it).

Bias.
Mother Earth Father Sky or something like that, about a woman somewhere around 7500 BC, but that one's finished

Duchess, a novel about Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, by Amanda Forman (2001?). It was actually a pretty good read but I'm crazy history (and it is historical, it's not a novel).

Who Wrote the Bible, but I read about two pages and got pissed and don't think I'll finish it. It's essentially yet another book written with no intent to actually discover anything, but rather to debunk with no interest in actually finding anything out.

I can't remember what else I have there.

Have you read his latest, Duma Key?

I am amazed that his work can be so good since he comes out with so many.

First one sounds good, but I love short stories and novellas....

Second one, kinda pulpy.....the writing itself has to be pretty elegant for me to get into it for the most part...

Have you read his latest, Duma Key?

I am amazed that his work can be so good since he comes out with so many.

No, I don't read every single thing he writes. I learned not to go that route after Christine and Cujo, which I think may be two of the worst books ever written.

Then I actually bought the Girl who love Tom whomever, thinking it looked good...pithy, not huge, I was hoping for one of his greats...but all it's about is a little girl lost in the woods.

And that stupid one that's all about the woman who's tied up for the ENTIRE FRIGGING NOVEL. WTF? I'm really not interested in 500 pages of the thoughts of one woman who can't move more than 2 inches in any direction. It bored the hell out of me.

So no, Duma Key, though I see it plastered all over the place, hasn't grabbed me yet. I've picked it up a few times, but I always put it back.

He really is a fine writer.

I read that screenplay of his.....oh what's it called...Storm of the Century. Now THAT'S a good read.

The movie is also very good.

That is so neat; too bad you are not in the states because I could dig that kind of furniture. I've always admired people who can make things. That's a talent.

I did live just outside London (til mid July), but now I live in Michigan. Sure picked a great time to move here huh? But the exchange rate was great in July, so I guess I can't complain.

And I wouldn't necessarily describe it as a talent in my case. Perhaps more perseverance and sheer bloody mindedness. But thank you. :redface:

First one sounds good, but I love short stories and novellas....

Second one, kinda pulpy.....the writing itself has to be pretty elegant for me to get into it for the most part...

oh it is pulpy as hell. I have a weak spot for dated cheesy shit like that.

oh, and I haven't read a good Stephen King book in 15 years. As far as Im concerned, he peaked with It and has been shitty ever since.

The Holy Bible and "This Years Model" by Carol Alt because I'm a chick lit fan. :tongue:

Good grief, has that been within the last 15 years?
I'm getting old as hell....

oh it is pulpy as hell. I have a weak spot for dated cheesy shit like that.

oh, and I haven't read a good Stephen King book in 15 years. As far as Im concerned, he peaked with It and has been shitty ever since.

I haven't read a good novel in I don't know how long even after reading the reviews from Amazon. Either there are 200 pages of nothing, I can't stand the characters, or the ending is so atrocious as to be unbelievable. I may have to go back to the classics from Nathaniel Hawthorne, Edith Wharton, Dickens...

Have you tried any Heinlein? Arthur Clark's, 2001 books were damn fine too if you dig science fiction. David Brin is good science fiction too.

Forum List

Back