What big events took place around the time your were born?

I was born on my mothers birthday. They say that a Scorpio born on a Scorpio mothers birthday has tenfold the powers associated with their star sign.

If that's what it takes to give your life meaning, who are we to rain on your parade.

It doesn't give my life "meaning". I don't believe in it. Still, it doesn't stop ditzy American chicks falling for it when I'm out on the 'hunt'.

The accent makes 'em drip like a fucked fridge, too.

I find the same thing with Brit guys. Of course, I don't date Brits - I have very high standards - Americans only for me.

I was 41 days old when Castro took over in Cuba.

The month before my birthday, President FDR compared Charles Lindberg to the “Copperheads” of the Civil War period, and Lindberg resigned his commission in the U.S. Army Air Corps (Reserve) 3-days later

On my birthday, an important event occurred, of which only a part made the news that day: the German submarine U-110 was captured by the British Royal Navy.
On board they found the latest Enigma cryptography machine, which Allied cryptographers used to break German encrypted messages they intercepted.

A month after my birthday Germany invaded the Soviet Union under Operation Barbarossa.

7-months after my birthday the attack on Pearl Harbor took place, and shortly after American entered WWII

Last edited:
If that's what it takes to give your life meaning, who are we to rain on your parade.

It doesn't give my life "meaning". I don't believe in it. Still, it doesn't stop ditzy American chicks falling for it when I'm out on the 'hunt'.

The accent makes 'em drip like a fucked fridge, too.

I can see how that works for ya.

images

Oh, you have no idea. Though sometimes the overbearing pomposity can backfire, though usually not with Republican skirt. When in Rome, an' all that.

No, sometimes I'm forced to return home still cocked. Where I sit on the toilet and play hard-to-get with myself. Whilst desperately trying not to cry.

I was 41 days old when Castro took over in Cuba.

Well this must explain my arrival..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was obviously a mix up. ;)

Solar Cosmic Ray Events during Late August 1957

Kinsey A. Anderson

Department of Physics and Space Sciences Laboratory University of California, Berkeley

Reanalysis of radio wave observations of PCA events and balloon measurements of energetic particles leads to the conclusion that two instead of three solar cosmic ray events occurred during late August 1957. This revision involves different flare assignments, and the balloon data show that the delay time between flare beginning and the first arrival of particles at the earth is much less than was reported previously on the basis of radio wave measurements. An importance 3 flare on August 28, 1957, began at 2010 UT. This flare is the most likely source of the solar cosmic rays that began to arrive at the earth after 2140 UT on August 28. Evidence found for an event beginning on August 29, is uncertain. The second cosmic ray event that can be identified during this period began at 1340 UT on August 31. The associated flare is probably the one that began at 1257 UT on this date.

Joseph E. Finnegan of New York was nominated to be director of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation service.

Who is Joseph E. Finnegan you might ask?

Fuck if I know!

He was the Director of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service.

I was born on the day in which Leslie Orgel wrote the following letter to Francis Crick:

Dear Francis:

I am writing for a change about science rather than about Dipenidam. Two questions have come up in work on non-enzymatic DNA synthesis, which I feel you will be able to answer much better than anyone here. In general, if a nucleotide analogue can be incorporated into an oligonucleotide on a polynucleotide template P, then it should be possible to use that analogue as a component of a complementary template P'. There is one obvious reservation, namely that the analogue have sites equivalent to both the 3' and the 5' ends of a standard nucleotide, but everything else should be taken care of by the diad axes of the double helix. Can this obvious notion be made more precise by some stronger (symmetry) argument?

The second question is raised by the difficulty of separating double-stranded structures, once they have been formed. The standard answer is that a cycle of heating and cooling is required-separation occurs at high temperatures and synthesis at low. A totally different approach is to suggest that the double-stranded forms of the earliest "nucleic acid" molecules were much less stable than contemporary nucleic acids, but that the association of monomers or very short oligomers with the original single-stranded "polynucleotides" was as stable as in the contemporary system. One requires a structure in which the first few base pairs form nicely, but stereochemical or other constraints make indefinite extension difficult or impossible. Can you comment on how this could most easily be done, and also on the relevance of the symmetry of the double helix to the problem of achieving an appropriate "misfit"?

Yours sincerely,
Leslie E. Orgel

George H.W. Bush won the 1988 Presidential election five months after I was born, and Pan Am Flight 103 went down six months after I was born.

One week after I was born, the Etch-a-Sketch was manufactured.

Three years after I was born, I broke one.

My mother caused the first seat belt laws in California when she was caught putting baby Frogen on the dash board as she drove so she could "watch me".'

From my point of ego the biggest event that took place around the time I was born was that I was born.

I was born on the day in which Leslie Orgel wrote the following letter to Francis Crick:

Dear Francis:

I am writing for a change about science rather than about Dipenidam. Two questions have come up in work on non-enzymatic DNA synthesis, which I feel you will be able to answer much better than anyone here. In general, if a nucleotide analogue can be incorporated into an oligonucleotide on a polynucleotide template P, then it should be possible to use that analogue as a component of a complementary template P'. There is one obvious reservation, namely that the analogue have sites equivalent to both the 3' and the 5' ends of a standard nucleotide, but everything else should be taken care of by the diad axes of the double helix. Can this obvious notion be made more precise by some stronger (symmetry) argument?

The second question is raised by the difficulty of separating double-stranded structures, once they have been formed. The standard answer is that a cycle of heating and cooling is required-separation occurs at high temperatures and synthesis at low. A totally different approach is to suggest that the double-stranded forms of the earliest "nucleic acid" molecules were much less stable than contemporary nucleic acids, but that the association of monomers or very short oligomers with the original single-stranded "polynucleotides" was as stable as in the contemporary system. One requires a structure in which the first few base pairs form nicely, but stereochemical or other constraints make indefinite extension difficult or impossible. Can you comment on how this could most easily be done, and also on the relevance of the symmetry of the double helix to the problem of achieving an appropriate "misfit"?

Yours sincerely,
Leslie E. Orgel

Splitting and combining DNA isn't always a good idea. Don't you ever watch monster movies?!

Forum List

Back