What are your thoughts on former cyclist Lance Armstrong? Do you like or dislike him?

I can't say anything about his personal life or how he dealt with competitors, etc., but it seems like the top performers in many sports were juiced in one way or another at the time. So when he was declared persona non grata, in all likelihood the runner up was also cheating. And the third-place finisher, and so on.

One huge example of the phenomenon has thus far gotten a pass from sports fans. The Pittsburgh Steelers of the '70's - four Super Bowls - did it largely on the foundation of super-strong linemen who bulked up on Steroids and HGH. Joe Green was the conspicuous exception. He was mocked by his peers in the gym because he couldn't bench 4-500 pounds plus like the rest of them could.

I'm not sure how to put these folks and their records into historical perspective. Barry Bonds, Mark Maguire, and Sammy Sosa had to hit the fucking ball, after all. It's not all about muscles.

I can't say anything about his personal life or how he dealt with competitors, etc., but it seems like the top performers in many sports were juiced in one way or another at the time. So when he was declared persona non grata, in all likelihood the runner up was also cheating. And the third-place finisher, and so on.

One huge example of the phenomenon has thus far gotten a pass from sports fans. The Pittsburgh Steelers of the '70's - four Super Bowls - did it largely on the foundation of super-strong linemen who bulked up on Steroids and HGH. Joe Green was the conspicuous exception. He was mocked by his peers in the gym because he couldn't bench 4-500 pounds plus like the rest of them could.

I'm not sure how to put these folks and their records into historical perspective. Barry Bonds, Mark Maguire, and Sammy Sosa had to hit the fucking ball, after all. It's not all about muscles.

On those three the muscles turned a long fly to the warning track into a home run. Baseball is a game of inches, and those guys added feet via "better living through chemistry"

Still I would admit them to the hall, just with a disclaimer about the generation they played it.

I would also admit Pete Rose, but only after he dies.

Forum List

Back