What a Christian Pastor says about Wealth Redistribution

Yup, its that whole Democracy thing, isn't it a bitch?!

When you allow people who don't pay taxes and have absolutely no stake whatsoever in the country or its well-being to make the decisions and vote themselves money from other people's pockets? Yup, it is. That would probably be why the Founding Fathers didn't give the vote to those people.

Wow, THAT was fairly pointless and unrelated.

Not really, well not to anyone with half a brain anyway. The fact is that apples and oranges were being compared in the opening post was so apparent to me that I just had to have a say. Since the comparison was so ridiculous then any continuing comparison is also ridiculous. Discussing charity is interesting but trying to equate the concept of charity with an economic policy is just plain stupid. Understand it now?

Is the issue really charity? Did you read the OP? Charity is what we're talking about here.

If you really think we aren't forced to pay taxes, try not paying them.

2 million out of 300 million people are on Welfare in this country....less than 1% of the population....

in 1996, before welfare reform, there were 5 million people on gvt Welfare.....in 2004 there were 2 million people on Welfare, a reduction of 60%....

it's NO GREAT SHAKES....

just as YOU can not choose to NOT have your taxes spent on the needy, I can NOT choose to have my taxes not going towards uncecessary war or the Bailout to the savings and loan banks in 1988 or the Bailout now....

it sucks, but THIS is what a democratic republic is....love it, or leave it!

Care

And therein lies the point. Our Republic is based on Liberty. What you're talking about is mob rule which the Founders abhorred. Therefore, this would never be legal unless there was a fundamental change to our constitution.

The distain for Mob Rule stemmed from the Tyranny of the Majority, that’s why the founders made it difficult (but not impossible) to amend the constitution. Our founding fathers knew that the times would change and government would need to change with the times. Anything at all accompanied by an amendment overrides the existing constitution, that’s why you need a new amendment to repeal an old amendment (see Prohibition).

Mob rule is 50.1% voting to kill the other 49.9%, not passing an amendment to the constitution(16th in this case).

And therein lies the point. Our Republic is based on Liberty. What you're talking about is mob rule which the Founders abhorred. Therefore, this would never be legal unless there was a fundamental change to our constitution.
Like voting to outlaw gays from being married?

:lol:

Wow, THAT was fairly pointless and unrelated.
No, it was the most intelligent post on the thread.

I don't know what church your parents worked for, but churches that are tax exempt don't pay taxes for anything. And the majority of them are tax exempt. Certainly the mega church being talked about in this thread.

Not really, well not to anyone with half a brain anyway. The fact is that apples and oranges were being compared in the opening post was so apparent to me that I just had to have a say. Since the comparison was so ridiculous then any continuing comparison is also ridiculous. Discussing charity is interesting but trying to equate the concept of charity with an economic policy is just plain stupid. Understand it now?

Incorrect. The government has put charity into economic policy.

The distain for Mob Rule stemmed from the Tyranny of the Majority, that’s why the founders made it difficult (but not impossible) to amend the constitution. Our founding fathers knew that the times would change and government would need to change with the times. Anything at all accompanied by an amendment overrides the existing constitution, that’s why you need a new amendment to repeal an old amendment (see Prohibition).

Mob rule is 50.1% voting to kill the other 49.9%, not passing an amendment to the constitution(16th in this case).

True. Eventually, some States will secede from the Union.

You said "our republic is based on liberties"....

apparently only for the people whose liberty you want protected.

I thought her comment was fair.

I want the liberty of everyone protected, but this thread is about wealth redistribution and the government's role in it. It has nothing to do with marriage.

I want the liberty of everyone protected, but this thread is about wealth redistribution and the government's role in it. It has nothing to do with marriage.

Thread drift happens when you raise other related or non-related points. You're the one who talked about liberty. You didn't say the country was based on "economic liberty" because that would be false. In fact, this country was founded on an economic system that has nothing whatsoever to do with liberty... but in fact relied on slave labor and protected only the landed gentry.

Luckily the damn libs kept pissing off the conservatives.. :eusa_whistle:

The heart of democracy is a strong middle class. A strong middle class only exists under a capitalist system if legislation and various protections are in place.

Tax policy ALWAYS re-distributes wealth. Giving rich people tax breaks redistributed more wealth to the wealthiest and hit the middle class with more taxes.

See how that works.

Thread drift happens when you raise other related or non-related points. You're the one who talked about liberty. You didn't say the country was based on "economic liberty" because that would be false. In fact, this country was founded on an economic system that has nothing whatsoever to do with liberty... but in fact relied on slave labor and protected only the landed gentry.

Luckily the damn libs kept pissing off the conservatives.. :eusa_whistle:

The heart of democracy is a strong middle class. A strong middle class only exists under a capitalist system if legislation and various protections are in place.

Tax policy ALWAYS re-distributes wealth. Giving rich people tax breaks redistributed more wealth to the wealthiest and hit the middle class with more taxes.

See how that works.

Liberty is not unrelated to the topic. To imply that because I said Liberty means that the thread can be opened up to gay marriage is absurd.

I agree with you here:

I completely disagree with you here:

Tax policy ALWAYS re-distributes wealth.

Not in this context. You are against mob rule on one issue and for it on another. Seems kind of hypocritical of you.

It would be hypocritical if true, but it's not. You're assuming that I am for mob rule in denying gay marriage. I am not. You and Jillian are just trying to derail the thread. Only you two know why.

It would be hypocritical if true, but it's not. You're assuming that I am for mob rule in denying gay marriage. I am not. You and Jillian are just trying to derail the thread. Only you two know why.
I thought you approved of putting the matter to a vote on an earlier thread. My bad.

Forum List

Back