What a Christian Pastor says about Wealth Redistribution

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by xsited1, Nov 16, 2008.

1. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Any comments from a Biblical perspective?

Link here

2. GigiBowman

GigiBowman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I totally agree with the Pastor

3. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,888
    I've taken a liking to Rev. Rick Warren after the Saddleback Forum with McCain and Obama.

I know in both the Christian and Jewish tradition, charity is spoken of as an obligation. It was stressed in my church that charity was to be done quietly and without boasting. It is an appreciation of what you have, how little and to share with those who are less fortunate.

I never thought of it as wealth distribution, just an exercise of character. I wish they would do public announcements on this matter because people are not aware that giving can make a difference, no matter how small. It doesn't have to be monetary. People can even give their time, which I consider to be even more precious.

4. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Charity is important to some. To others, it is not important at all. Take for instance this guy:

Biden's Average Annual Charitable-Gift Total: $369 - Philanthropy.com

5. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I think people misunderstand the true purpose of charity. I think the true purpose is to make those receiving it want to STOP receiving it as soon as possible, and to make those who give it determined never to need it.

True charity, of the personal, individual, face-to-face, voluntary sort, is damned uncomfortable for everyone involved. Being forced to admit to another person that you can't handle your situation on your own and need help sucks. It requires gratitude, and I don't know anyone who actually ENJOYS having to feel grateful and beholden for things. Remember the last time you had to ask to borrow money from your parents or some other relative? Brrrr! :ack-1:

And being the person asked is no picnic, either. It requires you to feel pity and embarrassment on behalf of the asker, and while it's better to pity than to be pitied, I guess, it's still not pleasant.

Charity under these circumstances accomplishes much more than merely making sure that someone's physical needs are met. It provides an incentive for the recipient to become useful and productive in some manner, in order to earn back the self-esteem lost through the process of asking for charity. And it produces an opportunity for personal and spiritual growth for both parties.

Now replace that with welfare, and charity becomes merely one more bloodless, bureaucratic service provided by the faceless government, like road repair or trash pickup. It has no value or meaning. There is no gratitude involved, because who ever bothers to be grateful to the government? Its services are something you are entitled to. There is no shame involved, because the entire process is fronted by a disinterested, paper-pushing government drone who doesn't personally own the money you're requesting and has seen too many supplicants to care enough to make any judgements.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    agreed---and lets not forget that America HIRES people to distrubute the charity as opposed to personally and locally administer assistence. The HIRED distributors and their families are as dependent on welfare as the recipients are.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Very true. In addition, people who are giving charity out of their own pockets and efforts are more likely to put requirements on the recipient, which increases the incentive to become productive and independent.

8. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    The way a Democrat like Joe Biden gives to charity is to find someone who makes a lot of money, use the power of the government to forcibly take some of their money and give it to people they believe need it. They call that being 'patriotic'.

9. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Yes, well, Joe Biden says a lot of stupid things. He's made a career out of it.

10. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    I don't have a problem with Joe Biden saying stupid things, but I do have a problem with him acting on them.