Were the Stones better with or without Brian Jones?

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
Mick Taylor, who replaced Brian when he quit or was fired, was a better guitarist, but the stones didn't seem have the same sound after Brian left.

Mick Taylor, who replaced Brian when he quit or was fired, was a better guitarist, but the stones didn't seem have the same sound after Brian left.

No they didn't, they shifted from blues influence to a jazzier sound. Taylor used more exotic scales in his lead rifts. But I liked both sounds.

Last edited:

Brian Jones was found dead in a swimming pool in 1969. I think he was kind of pushed out of the group right before he was found dead. Personally I liked the Stones better with Jones.

"When you read this remember me
and bear me in your mind.
Let the world say what they may
and speak of me as they find."

Brian Jones

Last edited:

Brian Jones was in a permanent cocaine induced haze after 1966, he didn't contribute anything to the stones after their first few albums. I don't even think he played guitar on Beggars Banquet or Let it Bleed. He was MIA.

The stones pretty much sucked after 1972, because like most bands, they ran out of creative energy. I think its as simple as that.

Brian Jones was in a permanent cocaine induced haze after 1966, he didn't contribute anything to the stones after their first few albums. I don't even think he played guitar on Beggars Banquet or Let it Bleed. He was MIA.

The stones pretty much sucked after 1972, because like most bands, they ran out of creative energy. I think its as simple as that.

Som Girls was a pretty good effort, I thought.

Probably the most underrated album from the Stone's was the 1967 "Flowers" album.

Attachments

• $200px-FlowersLP.jpg
    $200px-FlowersLP.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 102

It didn't help things that Keith stole Anita Pallenberg from Brian.

He's creditted on bleed album as playing percussion on midnight rambler. autoharp on you got the silver. I don't know when he quit playing guitar for them. He played the citar on paint it black, the marimbas on Under my thumb, and the recorder on ruby tuesday (at least on stage). I think he played piano on stage for "Lets spend some time together.
I will have to watch Rock and Roll Circus again, but I remember Brian playing the maracas on sympathy for the devil (awesome rendition of the song, check it out if you havent)

Probably the most underrated album from the Stone's was the 1967 "Flowers" album.

That one's great. Out of time rules. Back street girl. See the sound of flowers never returned once Brian was too stoned or fired.

Brian Jones was found dead in a swimming pool in 1969. I think he was kind of pushed out of the group right before he was found dead. Personally I liked the Stones better with Jones.

"When you read this remember me
and bear me in your mind.
Let the world say what they may
and speak of me as they find."

Brian Jones

They paid him 250 grand to leave. part of the reason was that they wanted to tour the US in 1969 and they didn't think Brian would be granted a visa.

He's creditted on bleed album as playing percussion on midnight rambler. autoharp on you got the silver. I don't know when he quit playing guitar for them. He played the citar on paint it black, the marimbas on Under my thumb, and the recorder on ruby tuesday (at least on stage). I think he played piano on stage for "Lets spend some time together.
I will have to watch Rock and Roll Circus again, but I remember Brian playing the maracas on sympathy for the devil (awesome rendition of the song, check it out if you havent)

LOL at playing the maracas! Hey my man, that's barely one step above having him do tamborine duty. The dude was so fucked up on drugs, they stopped handing him a guitar. Can you blame them for firing his ass?

LOL at playing the maracas! Hey my man, that's barely one step above having him do tamborine duty. The dude was so fucked up on drugs, they stopped handing him a guitar. Can you blame them for firing his ass?

you want maracas? here ya go. :lol:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuTiTfbfy7Q[/ame]

Last edited:
well i liked the w. Jones sound,but Taylor was definitely their best guitarist....after Taylor left the Stones died to me....

Forum List

Back