The Birth Of A Legend

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
I know there are some music aficionados here, so I thought some of you might be interested in this:

If you are any kind of Rock and Roll or Rolling Stones fan, here is the birth of a Legend that changed music for all time:

In 1962, Brian Jones, the founder of the Rolling Stones, ran this ad in an issue of the local Jazz News Magazine in the UK looking for other musicians to form a new rhythm and blues band he was putting together which he eventually named as The Rolling Stones. This ad was the start and creation of The Rolling Stones, which set the tempo for the next decade that included the whole British Invasion and Merseybeat that included the Beatles and a whole host of other British musicians and bands to follow.

Seven years later, due to deterioration within the band largely due to drugs and alcohol, Jones was let go from the band that he created, along the way also playing with The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix, among others. Just a month later after leaving The Rolling Stones, at the age of 27, he was found dead in his backyard swimming pool from an apparent drowning.

But one could say that both The Rolling Stones and the entire British Invasion of the 1960s began with this single ad, and I thought I would now share it here with you.

RollingStones.JPG

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 12.17.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 12.18.23 PM.png

I know there are some music aficionados here, so I thought some of you might be interested in this:

If you are any kind of Rock and Roll or Rolling Stones fan, here is the birth of a Legend that changed music for all time:

In 1962, Brian Jones, the founder of the Rolling Stones, ran this ad in an issue of the local Jazz News Magazine in the UK looking for other musicians to form a new rhythm and blues band he was putting together which he eventually named as The Rolling Stones. This ad was the start and creation of The Rolling Stones, which set the tempo for the next decade that included the whole British Invasion and Merseybeat that included the Beatles and a whole host of other British musicians and bands to follow.

Seven years later, due to deterioration within the band largely due to drugs and alcohol, Jones was let go from the band that he created, along the way also playing with The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix, among others. Just a month later after leaving The Rolling Stones, at the age of 27, he was found dead in his backyard swimming pool from an apparent drowning.

But one could say that both The Rolling Stones and the entire British Invasion of the 1960s began with this single ad, and I thought I would now share it here with you.

View attachment 816339

View attachment 816343 View attachment 816344
Beginning of the Stones but hardly the beginning of British rock. John, Paul, and George had already been playing together for several years. They all went to Hamburg in 1960.

Beginning of the Stones but hardly the beginning of British rock. John, Paul, and George had already been playing together for several years. They all went to Hamburg in 1960.

You are technically right, but the Beatles were originally part of the UK Merseybeat and not a true rock or blues band as most that followed. But what I was talking to here really was the British Invasion of America, and again, yes, the Beatles came here first, but only beating the Stones out of coming here first by only four months. But I know of no such physical origins of the Beatles as to the Stones above as the Beatles essentially were high school friends who all met, got together, and just formed a band and started playing together without any overtly public search for sourcing talent as with the Stones above. So, yes, you are right, but that wasn't quite how I meant to imply my meaning.

You are technically right, but the Beatles were originally part of the UK Merseybeat and not a true rock or blues band as most that followed. But what I was talking to here really was the British Invasion of America, and again, yes, the Beatles came here first, but only beating the Stones out of coming here first by only four months. But I know of no such physical origins of the Beatles as to the Stones above as the Beatles essentially were high school friends who all met, got together, and just formed a band and started playing together without any overtly public search for sourcing talent as with the Stones above. So, yes, you are right, but that wasn't quite how I meant to imply my meaning.
The Beatles were a local band made good. Pretty amazing considering the songwriting talent of three boys in that one city of just 1.3 million people.

The Stones replaced Brian Jones with 17 year old Mick Taylor and had some monster hits with Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women.

I didn't know he was that young. But I know they introduced Mick as their new guitarist just a couple days after Jones died in a tribute concert to him that had already been scheduled before his death.

Brian's death has always been a puzzle. He was a musical genius though, a true shame he died so young. I remember when his death was announced.

Damn, that was a long time ago.

Brian's death has always been a puzzle. He was a musical genius though, a true shame he died so young. I remember when his death was announced. Damn, that was a long time ago.

I think there was some official suspicion that he might have been murdered or that some of the other people who were around his home that night when he was found dead were complicit or culpable, but nothing was ever proven.

I never liked the Rolling Stones until I found out that Mick Jagger was a close friend of Margaret Thatcher and he was a trained ballet dancer. I have heard that if he wanted to perform, he would have his pick of ballet companies.

Forum List

Back