Classical music

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nationalismus, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nationalismus

Nationalismus Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How many members of this community are avid Classical music listeners?

If so, why would you say you listen to Classical music in favor of the other forms of music there are out there today.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Nationalismus

Nationalismus Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Crickets...

I am guessing I truly am alone on this one.

3. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    My god, man, have a little patience!

Classical Music ROCKS. I think I could say, after Heavy Metal and Rock n Roll it's by far my favourite type of music. There's just so much variety in, so much diversity through the ages and so many applications to it, and if you include Opera within it, wow, so many absolute great pieces. It's good music to even HEADBANG to, so much of it has this INTENSITY that argh, can't really describe it. Here's some of my favourites:

- J. S. Bach
    - Edvard Grieg
    - Antonin Dvorak
    - Tchaikovsky
    - Freddy Chopin
    - Modest Mussorgsky
    - Georges Bizet
    - Giachinno Rossini
    - Guiseppe Verdi

And of course, good ol Wolfgang and Luddy Van Beet, and a myriad of others I'm forgetting at the moment. Symphony "From The New World" and Beethoven's 9th and 6th, and the Piano Concerto #1, and just so much good shit. My favourite opera is by far Carmen, though the Barber of Seville is a close second, and Turandot and the Marriage of Figaro and Don Giovanni, oh man, there's just too much to really put it in a post.

And then there's of course the huge classical-inspired epic metal (neo-classical metal and symphonic metal, etc) scene nowadays and the virtuosi that draw so much from it and so yeah, classical music = badass.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix fideli certa merces

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,363
    Vivaldi is another good one.

Classical music has a passion that many others don't seem to have, perhaps it's just that the music is more stirring because we're not focusing on lyrics and things such as that. It's timeless as well. What was incredible a hundred years ago will be just as incredible and amazing a hundred years from now.

5. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I am not by any stretch of the imagination an avid classical music fan, but I sure do enjoy it when I do listen to it.

Immie

6. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Can I reasonably categorize Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Copeland, Sibelius, and those other 20th Century orchetral composers who were taught by the likes of Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Kosakov, etc. as "Classical" or does the music have to actually be composed during the "Classical Era" of music?

7. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Well, "Classical Music" can usually be interpreted as just a convenient moniker for a very broad array of various [sometimes immensely different] genres and styles of European 'art music' for the past 1000 or so years. I mean, there's also that 1750-1820 "Classical period" or golden age, but I think we can reasonable conclude that when we talk of "Classical Music" you can draw from the whole array and not just from the strictly "Classical period", unless otherwise stated/implied.

8. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Well then.

I love the 20th Century composers like the above stated. Especially Copeland and Prokofiev who weren't too experimental or dark (like Stravinsky and Shostakovich - though I still love them, too.) I love Leonard (not Elmer) Bernstein, Debussy, Schumann, Vaughn-Williams, Barber (of course, everyone loves Barber's Adagio for Strings).

My favorite peices of all time:

Prokofiev's Piano Concertos, especially #3. The Alexander Nevsky score, paricularly the movement "The Field of the Dead" and the Lt. Kije score. Symphony #5.

Copeland's Piano Concerto #1, 3rd Symphony, the Organ Symphony, Appalacian Spring and Billy the Kid.

Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, The Rite of Spring, and Petrushka.

Shostakovich's Violin Concerto #1, Cello Concerto #1, Symphonies #5, #9, #10, and #12.

Barber's "Overture to The School for Scandal", the Adagio for Strings, and Serenade Op. 1, and Violin Concerto

Schumann's Symphonies #3 and #7.

Sibelius' Symphony #5.

The depth, complexity, range of emotion, brilliance, and overall masterful-ness of the works by these composers is, for me, without comparison and transcendental.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,676
    here is one reason why.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3_aM_s0R1U&feature=channel_page[/ame]

10. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Classical is a genre, so to speak. The later works, inspired by the earliers "masters" are every bit as "classical".

I'm with Immanuel on this. Not an avid listener or performance attendee, but it is amazing to listen to. Just attended a performance by the National Philharmonic of Russia. Awesome....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.