Welfare moms bring out the Republican in me

First off, generational welfare has been broken since Clinton's Welfare to Work. The goal ought to be to help people get off welfare, even if it means providing day care and job training. Fuck all the saber rattling about letting children starve for the sins of their parents, and lobbing off genitals. That's just sick macho bullshit talk that might play well in some redneck bar, but it's not what's going to make good public policy. What I think would be good public policy is to identify all fathers of out-of-wedlock kids, and hound them for compensation to either the child or the state, until the baby is 18. If the father is under 18, his parents ought to be held financially responsible. Perhaps then, kids might wear a raincoat when getting their ends wet.

That said, one of the leading causes of poverty is husbands and SOs bailing on their family.

i think all of that was addressed in the TANF system, but not effectively enough. ultimately, it did nothing to assist the economy in reabsorbing beneficiaries into employment. it did not dissolve the portions of the law which promote single parent homes, nor does it cap household size on benefit entitlement charts. i would start by directly addressing these issues in terms of good public policy.

This is one those threads that can be laugh out loud funny at times in spite of the tragic situation. But I often wonder why those who find anger in a poor person feeding their children, doesn't feel anger over the rich who provide themselves with golden parachutes as they fail their workers and the nation? Or the cheats who steal millions and often get off away with it because they are part of the powerful. If we assume the mantel of moral sage we should apply that wonderful gift to all.

The Conservative Nanny State

Is it moral, for instance, that a company as rich as Walmart pays low wages, allows short hours, and insures workers with the corporation as beneficiary? Is that some thing to direct your moral outrage at, should be. The poor mom only repeats a life none of us want.

"The Walton family, heirs to the Wal-Mart fortune and one of the wealthiest families in the United States, eventually could receive an estimated tax break of $32.7 billion under a proposal in the budget that President Bush submitted to Congress. The Waltons would win from a repeal of the inheritance tax. In fact, the top 1 percent of income earners would continue to benefit from tax breaks in the budget.The losers: seniors on Medicare, veterans seeking health care, home owners struggling to pay heating bills, grandchildren stuck with cleaning up all the red ink Bush has spilled... It is a "disastrous budget" Senator Bernie Sanders told the White House budget chief at a Senate hearing. The senator lamented what he called the budget's "lack of moral values."

Last edited:
I started a thread on how we address the issue of 'welfare moms' some time ago so I won't go back into it now. Suffice to say, there are creative solutions which, with some hard work, would probably significantly reduce the culture of hand outs.

i remember that thread :thup:

i didn't think it was as much about a culture of handouts as it was a job market deficit in light of the minimum wages and standards of living that make the US tick.

Indeed, in order to address the problem properly - and without partisan whining - it would require a lot of things to happen at the same time. It would require education to teach kids self respect, and a work ethic, it would require the private sector to support youngsters, encourage their employees to mentor kids, charities to get involved with young offenders to provide support to stay away from crime, the government (state and federal) to provide tax incentives for companies to help these young people.

as opposed to hoping for cooperation on all of those fronts, i suggest redressing immigration policy and welfare policy, then spending the proceeds on direct subsidy of hourly labor.

the increased demand in the domestic job market, and decreased supply in the entitlement market will re-educate americans all by itself.

I think most of these lower working class conservatards are too stupid to know how much we spend on the military.

I live in a state with an unusually high rate of teenage pregnancy, and pregnancy before the age of 25 and out of wedlock. You would be appalled by what is handed out to these girls, who are rewarded for being socially irresonspible. I fail to understand why I, at 23 and working fulltime since the day i turned 18, who does the responsible thing and wears a condom, gets nothing, while a significant portion of my taxes pays for young, ignorant mom to get free everything - free housing, free food, free medical, free college.
Why is my apartment $600 a month, and hers $50? Why do I have to pay for college and she doesn't? I was raised, by my single, WORKING, 36 year old mother when i was born, that it's a disgrace to have a kid when you cant take care of yourself. She never got W.I.C. and food stamps and all that shit. It's a disgrace because you become a sponge. And what kind of message does it send to teenage girls? That it's okay to get knocked up and keep your baby, because Uncle Sam will give you a free ride?
Let's criminalize poor, unwed, young mothers for having children. CONTRACEPTION IS READILY AVAILABLE

Yes, of course.

Because getting raped and getting pregnant, IS a criminal act.

Because having a baby with someone and having them run out on you unexpectently, IS a criminal act.

Loosing the father of your child to an accident, IS a criminal act.

Good job loser.:eusa_whistle:

conservatives are against abortion but have no problem starving a child or assigning it a 2nd class status due to its birth status...

yall are a fucking joke

conservatives are against abortion but have no problem starving a child or assigning it a 2nd class status due to its birth status...

yall are a fucking joke

For a second there, I thought I was reading one of rdrools whines. Mo chara, you KNOW that's not true. What's with the scare tactics? Is there an election coming up? :lol:

First off, generational welfare has been broken since Clinton's Welfare to Work. The goal ought to be to help people get off welfare, even if it means providing day care and job training. Fuck all the saber rattling about letting children starve for the sins of their parents, and lobbing off genitals. That's just sick macho bullshit talk that might play well in some redneck bar, but it's not what's going to make good public policy. What I think would be good public policy is to identify all fathers of out-of-wedlock kids, and hound them for compensation to either the child or the state, until the baby is 18. If the father is under 18, his parents ought to be held financially responsible. Perhaps then, kids might wear a raincoat when getting their ends wet.

That said, one of the leading causes of poverty is husbands and SOs bailing on their family.

One thing I'd agree with is forced labor on unwed fathers who get caught not making child support payments. Lock them in a cell on weekdays (Mondays-Fridays) and make them work a full 40 hours a week. This will keep him from being unemployed and give him a weekend to see his kids if he's man enough to want to. I get tired of ball-less asses not providing for their children.

Appearently my biological father from what I've heard actually tried to take a raft to Haiti to live with some family to avoid child support. Broke bastard would rather live in a third world country then pay child support. Damn shame.

yall are a fucking joke

For a second there, I thought I was reading one of rdrools whines. Mo chara, you KNOW that's not true. What's with the scare tactics? Is there an election coming up? :lol:

if my post scares you...its you with the problem not me.

Wyoming does teach about and provide contraceptives to the teens right?
Or are they in the abstinence only mode of stupidity?

yall are a fucking joke

if my post scares you...its you with the problem not me.

It scares me cuz it's bullshit, and you know it's bullshit. Are y'all so desperate to cling on to the houses that you'll resort to lying? That's sad.

I live in a state with an unusually high rate of teenage pregnancy, and pregnancy before the age of 25 and out of wedlock. You would be appalled by what is handed out to these girls, who are rewarded for being socially irresonspible. I fail to understand why I, at 23 and working fulltime since the day i turned 18, who does the responsible thing and wears a condom, gets nothing, while a significant portion of my taxes pays for young, ignorant mom to get free everything - free housing, free food, free medical, free college.
Why is my apartment $600 a month, and hers $50? Why do I have to pay for college and she doesn't? I was raised, by my single, WORKING, 36 year old mother when i was born, that it's a disgrace to have a kid when you cant take care of yourself. She never got W.I.C. and food stamps and all that shit. It's a disgrace because you become a sponge. And what kind of message does it send to teenage girls? That it's okay to get knocked up and keep your baby, because Uncle Sam will give you a free ride?
Let's criminalize poor, unwed, young mothers for having children. CONTRACEPTION IS READILY AVAILABLE

Boy, you're short sighted. The society helped your mother provide for you. So, now it's your time to ante up.

Do any of you understand what happens when you are on Tanff and do not have a medical release from not working?

Forum List

Back