Welfare moms bring out the Republican in me

We are the richest country in the history of man. We spend trillions to bomb people of color, and your major problem is poor children being fed by welfare. SAD

I don't believe his consternation was with ANY children. It was the stupid Moms who have multiple children when they know damn good and well, they cannot provide for them. These irresponsible MOTHERS AND FATHERS bring out the Republican in me as well.

antagon, just as it's vital to tax the upper class more than the middle class, so too is it vital to redistribute the charity given to irresponsible mothers into more productive outlets - the working proleteriat. the middle class is everything.

antagon, just as it's vital to tax the upper class more than the middle class, so too is it vital to redistribute the charity given to irresponsible mothers into more productive outlets - the working proleteriat. the middle class is everything.

i agree entirely. i advocate moving some of the money from welfare roles to payrolls by way of hourly labor subsidy. this does not involve criminalizing anything, though.

I live in a state with an unusually high rate of teenage pregnancy, and pregnancy before the age of 25 and out of wedlock. You would be appalled by what is handed out to these girls, who are rewarded for being socially irresonspible. I fail to understand why I, at 23 and working fulltime since the day i turned 18, who does the responsible thing and wears a condom, gets nothing, while a significant portion of my taxes pays for young, ignorant mom to get free everything - free housing, free food, free medical, free college.
Why is my apartment $600 a month, and hers $50? Why do I have to pay for college and she doesn't? I was raised, by my single, WORKING, 36 year old mother when i was born, that it's a disgrace to have a kid when you cant take care of yourself. She never got W.I.C. and food stamps and all that shit. It's a disgrace because you become a sponge. And what kind of message does it send to teenage girls? That it's okay to get knocked up and keep your baby, because Uncle Sam will give you a free ride?
Let's criminalize poor, unwed, young mothers for having children. CONTRACEPTION IS READILY AVAILABLE
Good idea! Put the mothers in jail, the kids in foster care and elect the fathers to congress...as Republicans of course.

Actually, lots of us just resent having to pay for other people's kids. You want kids, fine. Pay for 'em. I choose differently.... I don't ask you to pay for my choices.

part and parcel of living and making a living in large modern economies is dealing with the communicability of other people's choices along with your own. it works both ways -- cyclical in fact.

without saying that entitlements ought to be a free-for-all, there's just as little dignity in deriding single mothers on benefits as there is in being one.

I don't deride them. They have my sympathy.... but not my money.... unless I choose to give it. Which I do... through charity. I would like to see us, as a country, educate our young to achieve something in their lives, to show them that there is more to life than producing children. I guess that makes me a bad person.

i am certain that it will take more than charity and education to affect a net-positive disposition on welfare recipients in the absence of welfare itself. speaking both socio- and economically.

part and parcel of living and making a living in large modern economies is dealing with the communicability of other people's choices along with your own. it works both ways -- cyclical in fact.

without saying that entitlements ought to be a free-for-all, there's just as little dignity in deriding single mothers on benefits as there is in being one.

I don't deride them. They have my sympathy.... but not my money.... unless I choose to give it. Which I do... through charity. I would like to see us, as a country, educate our young to achieve something in their lives, to show them that there is more to life than producing children. I guess that makes me a bad person.

i am certain that it will take more than charity and education to affect a net-positive disposition on welfare recipients in the absence of welfare itself. speaking both socio- and economically.

I started a thread on how we address the issue of 'welfare moms' some time ago so I won't go back into it now. Suffice to say, there are creative solutions which, with some hard work, would probably significantly reduce the culture of hand outs.

it's an extreme right fantasy. my world would be a mix of left and right extremes, but mostly a paradise for the middle class.

Yep, instead of spaying the women, neuter all sexually active boys and men! Problem solved! :thup:

you would marvel at my utopia, topspin. free mass transportation for all. high taxes. universal health care. free universities for students who excell. a military that is stripped down to the size of a police force when on active duty. absolute abandonment of any military presence in foreign countries...

I started a thread on how we address the issue of 'welfare moms' some time ago so I won't go back into it now. Suffice to say, there are creative solutions which, with some hard work, would probably significantly reduce the culture of hand outs.

i remember that thread :thup:

i didn't think it was as much about a culture of handouts as it was a job market deficit in light of the minimum wages and standards of living that make the US tick.

you would marvel at my utopia, topspin. free mass transportation for all. high taxes. universal health care. free universities for students who excell. a military that is stripped down to the size of a police force when on active duty. absolute abandonment of any military presence in foreign countries...
why would you want to inflict that on the US. it sounds so much better as it is.

First off, generational welfare has been broken since Clinton's Welfare to Work. The goal ought to be to help people get off welfare, even if it means providing day care and job training. Fuck all the saber rattling about letting children starve for the sins of their parents, and lobbing off genitals. That's just sick macho bullshit talk that might play well in some redneck bar, but it's not what's going to make good public policy. What I think would be good public policy is to identify all fathers of out-of-wedlock kids, and hound them for compensation to either the child or the state, until the baby is 18. If the father is under 18, his parents ought to be held financially responsible. Perhaps then, kids might wear a raincoat when getting their ends wet.

That said, one of the leading causes of poverty is husbands and SOs bailing on their family.

Last edited:

i remember that thread :thup:

i didn't think it was as much about a culture of handouts as it was a job market deficit in light of the minimum wages and standards of living that make the US tick.

Indeed, in order to address the problem properly - and without partisan whining - it would require a lot of things to happen at the same time. It would require education to teach kids self respect, and a work ethic, it would require the private sector to support youngsters, encourage their employees to mentor kids, charities to get involved with young offenders to provide support to stay away from crime, the government (state and federal) to provide tax incentives for companies to help these young people.

First off, generational welfare has been broken since Clinton's Welfare to Work.

Was.

But now it was brought back by the pelosi reid cartel.

Forum List

Back