Welders?

Oh, that cute doggie with his/her? water wings on is royalty of the May. Tooooooooo cute! And not one bit spoiled either, right? :lmao:

Oh, that cute doggie with his/her? water wings on is royalty of the May. Tooooooooo cute! And not one bit spoiled either, right? :lmao:

Oh, she's spoiled alright....but still a good doggie.

one thing about welding art....you need to try to make it shippable

Shippable isn't so much as problem compared to the freight. The horseshoe armadillo is almost 10 pounds. Same for the scorpion. Anything larger is going to weigh much more.

Once my TIG skills are honed, I'll start working on light aluminum art made out of beer and Coke cans. Those would require some special packaging to ship.

do they fit in flat rate shipping boxes?

None of mine do, but some of the figurines shown in the Filipino video look like they'd fit.

Similar to those figurines, I've considered making little biplanes out of old spark plugs, washers and bits of metal. Something like this:

Airplanes & Motorcycles | Bi-Plane Spark Plug Sculpture H&K Sculptures | HK-425
Has anyone done a train or a train engine in the welding arts? Just wonderin'... :eusa_whistle:

hmmm, no sets, but there was a group of people who welded a train engine outdoor cooker....

4032520794_cc3104ddc5_o.jpg

linky

I've welded myself for years. I think it's fun. I recently bought a Lincoln SP 140T MIG welder. Got a great deal on ebay. I had to replace the Miller Millermatic Auto 140 I had in Reno after I had to sell it.

This is a quick project I fabbed and welded up to hold air bottles for fire fighting masks when I worked in the supermax prison as a Maintenance Mechanic...

Prisonproject2.jpg
Prisonproject1.jpg

Last edited:
Toronto News: One man
Barbecue tanks, TV antennas, swimming pool walls, apple juice cans, farm gates, rebar, floor mop handles. Put it together and what have you got — a pile of junk?

Not in Ian Baron’s hands. Try life-size replicas of old fighter planes. Four in total, all made from recycled bits and pieces.

They’re parked proudly on the front lawn of his rural home a few minutes north of Bowmanville. He owns 4.5 hectares and a good thing, too. The wingspan of his largest and favourite creation, a 1944 Spitfire Mark IX, is 11 metres.​
96a9398a48c4a0de724c71221e9a.jpeg

That is really cool.

hmmm, no sets, but there was a group of people who welded a train engine outdoor cooker....

http://www.millerwelds.com/interest...y/sets/recreation/4032520794_cc3104ddc5_o.jpg
linky

Great train! Sorry, I don't know of anyone welding trains, but I can tell you the #1 project most students chose in my welding class: yes, a smoker/grill made from an old water heater.

No, I didn't do one, but I saw enough built to know what it it takes. Many of those same skills were applied to other projects such as bending the bars of my bicycle rack to hold bicycles. That's how handles and hinges were built for the grills. All the grills built in my classes were conventional. Nothing were as inventive as the Train cooker in your picture. Nice work!

I've welded myself for years. I think it's fun. I recently bought a Lincoln SP 140T MIG welder. Got a great deal on ebay. I had to replace the Miller Millermatic Auto 140 I had in Reno after I had to sell it.

This is a quick project I fabbed and welded up to hold air bottles for fire fighting masks when I worked in the supermax prison as a Maintenance Mechanic...

Prisonproject2.jpg
Prisonproject1.jpg
Wow, Pale Rider. That's a nice piece of work there. Kudos.

http://www.millerwelds.com/interest...y/sets/recreation/4032520794_cc3104ddc5_o.jpg
linky

Great train! Sorry, I don't know of anyone welding trains, but I can tell you the #1 project most students chose in my welding class: yes, a smoker/grill made from an old water heater.

No, I didn't do one, but I saw enough built to know what it it takes. Many of those same skills were applied to other projects such as bending the bars of my bicycle rack to hold bicycles. That's how handles and hinges were built for the grills. All the grills built in my classes were conventional. Nothing were as inventive as the Train cooker in your picture. Nice work!
Well, I saw your great plane pic, thought of the great train trip I had the privilege of crossing Canada on in 2006 when the tamaracks had turned orange...and was wondering if anyone had done something out of spare parts or nuts and bolts that resembled a train. Everything I found looked like something you could buy in a chain store, so I loaded "Train welding" and found ...oh... that's how they make real trains ..... :D Then I loaded train sets welding, got more commercial stuff. Then loaded in "Welded choo choo train," when that pic came up. We went to a train show at the Brown Center in Houston in the past year, those train folks were there to buy, buy, buy. I thought a welder with an idea and a bit of hard work, could do clever trainlike usable items and get some terrific sales in that way. There was a painter there selling paintings in the two-to-eight thousand range, got to talking shop with him, he'd sold 10 paintings over the weekend at the show. He'd painted trains all over America, and they were totally beautiful renditions of antique trains in landscape settings. The one I really liked was one of a station that looked identical to the Cheyenne, Wyoming, old train station. A hint to entrepreneurs, if you have good train memorablia, the George Brown annual model train show is as good as it gets if you've worked hard on something train afficianados like. Just sayin... :eusa_whistle:

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy248/FXD35/Prisonproject2.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy248/FXD35/Prisonproject1.jpg

Nice project. My welding instructor is a plant manager, having risen up the ranks from welder, but he also does welding work on the side. I asked him about the small MIG welders and he said he's got two Lincolns which he's done over $70,000 worth of work with over the past few years. All fabricating stuff like you've shown in your pictures. He was doing one project with his son while I was attending classes. Over a couple of weekends he fabricated racks for 4 foot cubed plastic boxes. Pretty simple really, but it paid $10,000 of which $6000 was spent on the metal and paint. Due to the project, he bought a metal bladed chop saw to replace his standard, consumable blade chop saw.

Toronto News: One man
Barbecue tanks, TV antennas, swimming pool walls, apple juice cans, farm gates, rebar, floor mop handles. Put it together and what have you got — a pile of junk?

Not in Ian Baron’s hands. Try life-size replicas of old fighter planes. Four in total, all made from recycled bits and pieces.

They’re parked proudly on the front lawn of his rural home a few minutes north of Bowmanville. He owns 4.5 hectares and a good thing, too. The wingspan of his largest and favourite creation, a 1944 Spitfire Mark IX, is 11 metres.​

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/87/36/96a9398a48c4a0de724c71221e9a.jpeg

That is really cool.
Agreed. That really is cool. I thought it was real until I read the article. He does great work.

Highly recommend the Black & Decker chop saw.

It's tough as nails and saves a lot of time during fabrication.

Especially if you doing mitre cuts.

What do you use?

Last edited:
Highly recommend the Black & Decker chop saw.

It's tough as nails and saves a lot of time during fabricatio.

Especially if you doing mitre cuts.

What do you use?

I have a DeWalt 14" chop saw. It's okay, but not as heavy duty nor as powerful as the ones I used in class. It takes more patience to use.

Here's a stock photo of the same model:
p-J6dabh6i-e2bVjGxyfdcWXjAmpUsGqownpmNEqM9-ZG_kkQPQcBqFtumUCp2E-5naJIBRR6Swp8WxVtdjpYrspFJvNSWs6JubT_2DXqBlsa6Oag0vb2rTNnevh4gEsYjJoBIgKtGELTq7Bbuq1OZY4KOYsgTXE1W1nYWuSIbk

Welded Metal Mosquito Sculpture from NY
il_fullxfull.101740782.jpg

Credit page missing but was here. My monitor showed it removed, but the picture remained on Bing Images page for some reason.

I need to find myself an art lover who'll buy any scrap I weld together. :)

Here is my second trailer project finished last winter. It wasn't as heavy duty as the first one, but it could be used as a utility trailer with removable arms for the second kayak. It has several tie down points around the frame:

trailer03302011172049.jpg

trailer03312011171614.jpg

cam009.jpg

The "before" shot. I bought this for $50 and welded the 8X4 foot metal bed frame and uprights for holding a second kayak plus new brake light brackets:
dscn0004c.jpg

Forum List

Back