Welders?

There's a good welder/artist, Joe Pogan video, here.

His knack for ornithology is what got my attention. His eagle page also includes links to two more pages of different sculptures he has made from incorporated pieces of all kinds of scrap metal pieces, which he collects at garage and junk sales.

bird-sculptures-recycled.jpg

its nice...but I personally prefer the big chunks of black ...heavy metal
Well, it took some time to find something almost as good as DW's fabulous scorpion, but as a visual artist and bird lover, (not to mention butterflies), I was near equally enchanted. :eusa_angel:

His knack for ornithology is what got my attention. His eagle page also includes links to two more pages of different sculptures he has made from incorporated pieces of all kinds of scrap metal pieces, which he collects at garage and junk sales.

http://www.environmentteam.com/art/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/bird-sculptures-recycled.jpg

Thanks! It's good to see what is possible with welding art. Around the time I first began thinking about welding as a post-retirement career, I saw the Tom Hanks "Cast Away". The movie had a key scene with welder, who turned out to be a woman, Bettina Peterson, working on a large wing sculpture in her barn. It wasn't until later when I was taking classes that I realized how heavy and expensive such a sculpture would be. There's a good reason to learn how to make use of scrap when working as a welding artist.

http://www.environmentteam.com/art/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/bird-sculptures-recycled.jpg

Thanks! It's good to see what is possible with welding art. Around the time I first began thinking about welding as a post-retirement career, I saw the Tom Hanks "Cast Away". The movie had a key scene with welder, who turned out to be a woman, Bettina Peterson, working on a large wing sculpture in her barn. It wasn't until later when I was taking classes that I realized how heavy and expensive such a sculpture would be. There's a good reason to learn how to make use of scrap when working as a welding artist.
Well, your Scorpion and Armadillo were a great start! Speaking of which, I saw an armadillo for the first time in 2 years yesterday. Miss Music, our MissAmericaBlackLab, got really excited. I saw something hurling itself through the grass, caught a glimpse of something that looked like a slinky, except solid, and it was none other than an armadillo! Miss Music was acting like a certified nut!
hahahahaha!

Great thread, DW. Look forward to seeing more of your sculptures as you go, and hope you keep that camera loaded!

Last edited:
I just weld things for functional fabrications or repairs.
Welded a hay spear back on for a guy last night.

It doesn't get better than a practical fixit that keeps a farmer employed, uscitizen. Good job.

thanks, It is the way things work around here. He will repay me in kind someday.
He had to do the heavy work though, grinding and holding. I am not physically up to that anymore. But I can weld from my powerchair which I built. And I have a forklift and overhead winch I use to hold stuff in place for welding.
I have a BIG welding apron :)

btw I love my plasma cutter!

It cut down on a lot of grinding since the spear was over 2 inches in diameter and had to be beveled for multipass welding.

Well, your Scorpion and Armadillo were a great start! Speaking of which, I saw an armadillo for the first time in 2 years yesterday. Miss Music, our MissAmericaBlackLab, got really excited. I saw something hurling itself through the grass, caught a glimpse of something that looked like a slinky, except solid, and it was none other than an armadillo! Miss Music was acting like a certified nut!
hahahahaha!

Great thread, DW. Look forward to seeing more of your sculptures as you go, and hope you keep that camera loaded!

Thanks, Becki! Did the armadillo bark for you? I've seen them hiking around the DFW area where we have a lot of nature trails by reservoirs....and, of course, a lot of dead ones on the highway. They aren't very smart.

Quick joke: How many armadillos does it take to have sex?
Three. Two to do it and one to watch for cars. :lol:

hahahahaha!

Thanks, Becki! Did the armadillo bark for you? I've seen them hiking around the DFW area where we have a lot of nature trails by reservoirs....and, of course, a lot of dead ones on the highway. They aren't very smart.

I lived in FL for 3 years and had about come to the conclusion they were born dead on the highways. Actually they only come out late at night. And when startled they jump straight up hitting the car passing over even if missed by the wheels.

Armored Opossums.

thanks, It is the way things work around here. He will repay me in kind someday.
He had to do the heavy work though, grinding and holding. I am not physically up to that anymore. But I can weld from my powerchair which I built. And I have a forklift and overhead winch I use to hold stuff in place for welding.
I have a BIG welding apron :)

btw I love my plasma cutter!

A few guys in my class have found work just driving around with a Miller Bobcat in their truck doing welding for farmers and ranchers. I plan on doing the same myself as part of my eventual welding business, but mostly I'd like to focus on TIG projects.

What kind of plasma cutter do you have? I have a little Hobart Airforce 250ci. It's handy for some jobs, but an angle grinder with a cutting blade is often the most useful.

hahahahaha!

Well, Miss Music may be MissAmerica to me, but she was a huge black dog and terrorist to the armadillo, and it shot back and forth under the fence between the garden and the front yard, and when she'd run through the gate to get him, he'd dart back into the garden. This went on for a little while, until I called Miss Music, when he made a beeline for the porch. It was early morning, and no, he was too terrified to bark. She dutifully followed her mommie back into the house, but not without casting wishful glances to the porch, where she wanted to play with that odd creature that was smaller than herself, but somehow, mesmerizing, considering the spectre the tall grass took on when he ran through it.

:lol:

hahahahaha!

I lived in FL for 3 years and had about come to the conclusion they were born dead on the highways. Actually they only come out late at night. And when startled they jump straight up hitting the car passing over even if missed by the wheels.

Armored Opossums.
I didn't know they had a reflex when passed over by cars. It must have been something that saved them in their original digs south of the border.

Natural History of the Armadillo

I have a Miller 625.

Of course I also have the old standby hotwrench ;)

Dayam! I can see why you could use it to shave a point on a 2-3 inch thick steel rod. My class shop had a pair of Miller 125s. Miller does make great equipment. Both my MIG and my stick/TIG welder are Millers. Being a student of the college allowed me to buy both with a 10% discount.

Agreed on the old standby although I haven't used it much. At least not for cutting. Mostly for heating and bending such as the feet on the armadillo.

How long have you been welding?

Well, Miss Music may be MissAmerica to me, but she was a huge black dog and terrorist to the armadillo, and it shot back and forth under the fence between the garden and the front yard, and when she'd run through the gate to get him, he'd dart back into the garden. This went on for a little while, until I called Miss Music, when he made a beeline for the porch. It was early morning, and no, he was too terrified to bark. She dutifully followed her mommie back into the house, but not without casting wishful glances to the porch, where she wanted to play with that odd creature that was smaller than herself, but somehow, mesmerizing, considering the spectre the tall grass took on when he ran through it.

Sounds like Miss Music wasn't having as much fun as Mr. Armadillo.
piratesmiley1icon.gif

One of my favorite songs. It even has Armadillos.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKyqKlkylS4]‪Gary P. Nunn - Home With The Armadillo‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

One of my first jobs I ever had when I got out of the service was a pipefitters helper.

All of our pipe was Weld pipe and weld flanges.

I watched and eventually learn how to weld later on I became a certified welder.

Also I welded stainless steel and did structural fabrication.

Everything I did was stick using the big Lincoln and Miller Diessl welders.

We also used a plasma torch to cut out the patterns.in steel.

Those things are the cat's meow and beat using Oxy Act cutting torches by a mile.

I use the instantaneous Electronic lenses in my welding hood.

So today anyone that gets their eyes burnt from welding is a moron.

Haven't welded anything in probably four or five years.

But once you learn how to weld it's like learning how to ride a bicycle.

Once you know how you will never forget.

Just give me a welding rod and a couple of pieces of steel to practice on.

And in 5 min. I would be running a nice bead. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:

Same here. They're getting a lot cheaper too. Any welder who doesn't use proper equipment is going to regret it.

I haven't tried welding stainless steel yet, but have been practicing my stick welding as much as possible.

Same here. They're getting a lot cheaper too. Any welder who doesn't use proper equipment is going to regret it.

I haven't tried welding stainless steel yet, but have been practicing my stick welding as much as possible.

Actually stainless welding is easy.

Many people shy away from it because any flaws really show up.

Once you are good at running 7018

Then welding stainless will be no problem.

Hopefully you are not learning stick welding on one of those AC crackerbox.

If so, Upgrade to a better welder that has DC reverse polarity.

Then you can weld just about anything.

Using larger diameter rods to weld thicker pieces of metal.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back