Weapon/Ammo Philosophy

I have many employees, some of whom are enthusiasts like myself. Recent conversations with some of them prompted this post.

I hear so often that people want to buy this caliber or that caliber, to "add" to their arsenal.

I disagree.

My philosophy is different. I suggest to them, that accumulating calibers is not the ideal thing, but instead the accumulation of ammo is the thing to do. In other words, I'd rather have multiple 45s with a massive bulk of ammos, rather than multiple caliber weapons with few or no stockpile of ammo.

The point is, ammo is the key, not the number of calibers one might possess.

Most people have just the 2 hands. So how many guns seems like a good idea? :)

My first answer will be "Just a few more".

Since I have no intention of trying to fire all my guns at the same time, how many hands I have is not the point.

How many uses for any given firearm is the point. How many collectors piece I can afford is the point.

More guns and more ammo doesn't make you any safer. Getting good with 1 .357 magnum wheelgun makes you as safe as you're gonna get.

I'm kind of partial to my Springfield M1911 .45ACP and a good 12 gauge pump. That should cover self defense. Now for the other dozen or so uses.....

More guns and more ammo doesn't make you any safer. Getting good with 1 .357 magnum wheelgun makes you as safe as you're gonna get.

Unless of course your assailants have rifles. Then you're pretty much fucked when they take you out from a couple hundred yards.

Hard to imagine the altercation that takes place from 200 yards away. Average engagement range in real-world self-defense is about 2 meters. At that range I"d rather have a pair of brass knuckles than any rifle. Brush of the arm and your fancy long gun is worthless.

Unless of course your assailants have rifles. Then you're pretty much fucked when they take you out from a couple hundred yards.

Hard to imagine the altercation that takes place from 200 yards away. Average engagement range in real-world self-defense is about 2 meters. At that range I"d rather have a pair of brass knuckles than any rifle. Brush of the arm and your fancy long gun is worthless.

Nothing that a good but stroke wont fix.
I was referring more to a shit hits the fan scenario. Much rather have the long gun.

I was referring more to a shit hits the fan scenario. Much rather have the long gun.

Such as? Zombie Apocalypse? :) ANyone arming up for something like that not only shouldn't be allowed to own firearms, but shouldn't even be free and roaming around.

Such as? Zombie Apocalypse? :) ANyone arming up for something like that not only shouldn't be allowed to own firearms, but shouldn't even be free and roaming around.

Ever hear of Katrina? Or maybe the Watts riots?

Why does everyone use the "zombie apocalypse" as an example? Is that the only reason for a societal collapse?

Why does everyone use the "zombie apocalypse" as an example? Is that the only reason for a societal collapse?

They're mentally unbalanced?

OK fine, you stand 6 meters from me and see if you can brush my arm...or any other part of my luscious bod, before I put a couple of rounds in your chest and one to your head with a rifle. We can repeat with me drawing my sidearm, if you'd like, or maybe with a shotgun. Not sure you're going to be up for it after you fail the first test though, sunshine.

Assuming that all people with firearms are not competent in their use in combat is gonna get you killed someday, son.

Last edited:
My first answer will be "Just a few more".

Since I have no intention of trying to fire all my guns at the same time, how many hands I have is not the point.

How many uses for any given firearm is the point. How many collectors piece I can afford is the point.

I wonder if he also tells a carpenter how many different hammers he needs or a mechanic how many different wrenches he needs too. ;)

Last edited:
In all fairness, the CDC has said preparing for a zombie apocalypse will prepare you for virtually any social collapse for whatever reason.

I get so cranky when I am sick that I can see myself eating the brains of anyone who comes near me, so their preps are probably prudent. ;)

Because it's always the far out crap the whacko folks who hang out at places like survivalistboards talk about. They are all expecting to be in rolling firefights while simultaneously humping 17 firearms and 100 pounds of different ammo. The reality is no one is going to be having 200 yard shootouts. And if you are in a bug out situation the point is to not be seen. You shouldn't be engaging someone that far away.

With that said, in the real world if someone has you in the crosshairs it doesn't matter if you have a rifle, pistol or brass knuckles. By the time you even know they are there it is all over.

Thinking about buying a 22LR as well. Saw a good article about those being perfect survival weapons.
Everyone should have at least one .22 rifle, and one .22 handgun.

Ammo is still outrageously priced though, and, not always available nowadays.

air rifle and slingshot as well

plus a rifle that accepts nato rounds

and one that accepts the soviet rounds

Because it's always the far out crap the whacko folks who hang out at places like survivalistboards talk about. They are all expecting to be in rolling firefights while simultaneously humping 17 firearms and 100 pounds of different ammo. The reality is no one is going to be having 200 yard shootouts. And if you are in a bug out situation the point is to not be seen. You shouldn't be engaging someone that far away.

With that said, in the real world if someone has you in the crosshairs it doesn't matter if you have a rifle, pistol or brass knuckles. By the time you even know they are there it is all over.

Please pull your head out of your ass then tell us about the real world. It looks much different when it's not filtered through your plexiglass belly button. Just because you are a crappy marksman with no tactical savvy doesn't mean the rest of the world shares your handicap.

Forum List

Back