Weapon/Ammo Philosophy

Youch

Aug 10, 2014
I have many employees, some of whom are enthusiasts like myself. Recent conversations with some of them prompted this post.

I hear so often that people want to buy this caliber or that caliber, to "add" to their arsenal.

I disagree.

My philosophy is different. I suggest to them, that accumulating calibers is not the ideal thing, but instead the accumulation of ammo is the thing to do. In other words, I'd rather have multiple 45s with a massive bulk of ammos, rather than multiple caliber weapons with few or no stockpile of ammo.

The point is, ammo is the key, not the number of calibers one might possess.

Fewer calibers means more ammo.
7.62X39 is cheap ammo you can accumulate tens of thousand rounds in no time.
Same as with 5.56
But what I try to do is have one caliber that will work with a hand gun and rifle
45 ACP comes to mind.
You can get this caliber in revolver, semi automatic handgun, lever action rifle or bolt action and semi automatic rifle..

I have many employees, some of whom are enthusiasts like myself. Recent conversations with some of them prompted this post.

I hear so often that people want to buy this caliber or that caliber, to "add" to their arsenal.

I disagree.

My philosophy is different. I suggest to them, that accumulating calibers is not the ideal thing, but instead the accumulation of ammo is the thing to do. In other words, I'd rather have multiple 45s with a massive bulk of ammos, rather than multiple caliber weapons with few or no stockpile of ammo.

Agree.

The problem is there are too many wonderful firearms out there to resist collecting.

But I at least try to keep an ample supply of .45 Auto, 12 ga., and x39; everything else gets used at the range.

I agree to a point. There are those of us who are collectors. One of each caliber is simply one way to collect.

I have a Remington 700 series bolt action for distance shooting and hunting, I have a 12 gauge for home protection, and a 380 for carrying. All the rest are for fun.

The other fun weapons I own is my 44 Magnum Revolver, my AR15, my 40 cal, 9mm Baretta, and my Raven Arms 25 ACP.

Soon I would like to add The Judge, the Mossburg Chainsaw, and the S&W 500

Thinking about buying a 22LR as well. Saw a good article about those being perfect survival weapons.
You can not kill shit with a 22.

I don't have one so I cannot say except that this person wrote a very convincing article about the 22LR and how accurate it is, how you can carry a shitload of ammo easily. The article was in response to the fact that people are having a hard time getting 22LR ammo and it's because so many people are buy it up.

Thinking about buying a 22LR as well. Saw a good article about those being perfect survival weapons.
Would that be like saying you can't kill anything with a .223/ 5.56?
Both are 22 calibers
The velocity of the 556 is different and no I would not hunt with one the round is too small. You do realize the reason the US went to 556 was to wound not kill, the idea was that it takes 2 soldiers to care for one wounded soldier where as a dead soldier is no drain on the enemy.

Go ahead ask the States if you can hunt deer and elk and large game with a 22.

Both are 22 calibers
The velocity of the 556 is different and no I would not hunt with one the round is too small. You do realize the reason the US went to 556 was to wound not kill, the idea was that it takes 2 soldiers to care for one wounded soldier where as a dead soldier is no drain on the enemy.

There are two main reasons we went to the 5.56. The ability to carry twice the ammo and the reason you stated.
As far as the legality of hunting with a .22? I ain't talking about laws,just the capability of the round. And it's more than capable of dropping a deer.

I disagree.

I see it a bit different, as I use different tools for different jobs. The majority of the time my carry weapon is one of my .40s but I have 9mm, .45, .357,.22 in hand guns that I like to walk outside to the range and shoot. For hunting I keep a varied selection for where and what I am hunting. Then I have ARs for varmints and the range then my fav SKS so I end up with an assortment. Usually when I go out to my range I end up with 5-7 different calibers because I can't choose one

Both are 22 calibers

There are two main reasons we went to the 5.56. The ability to carry twice the ammo and the reason you stated.
As far as the legality of hunting with a .22? I ain't talking about laws,just the capability of the round. And it's more than capable of dropping a deer.
Shot placement woks with any caliber

Both are 22 calibers

Big difference. Those rounds rely on hydrostatic shock to kill.
But you can most definitely drop a deer with a .22.
Yes I know that but 223 is a 22 caliber and Gunny said you could not kill anything with a 22
I'm not going to split hairs or rehash one of the oldest debates in the gun world about the 22

Forum List

Back