We really do need something to replace the red X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite, Ropey

I understand Ernie. There's changes, you don't like some of them and you'd like to see it go back or other stuff done. It's not all politics and bedfellows.

What we have now is essentially three positives. Even the "informative" one comes off as being positive.
I want something to be able to use, and then immediately see how many "yays" or "nays" a post received.
Well we have a "yays" with redundancies.

The red X was perfect, unfortunately Jake Starkey and a few others whined like little bitches, and the result is now what we have.
It's like having a ballot with three choices and as long as you choose John Smith, you get to vote.

Can we please fix this with either going back to the red X or some other icon to display disagreement ?

Here's what I wrote in another thread. A disagree button doesn't ADD anything to discussion:

Here's the problem as I see it. It's annoying to get a red x and not know why. It's similarly annoying to be reading a thread and having to wade through mountains of posts which simply say "I agree" before you get to one which disagrees and thus furthers the dialog. An Agree Button HELPS the board dynamic by removing the "I agree" clutter. A Disagree Button doesn't work the same way. Disagreement is the basis of debate. Even when used properly the disagree button doesn't further debate. It adds nothing to the community and only satisfies the reader. The reader can still silently disagree and the community doesn't know the basis of the disagreement. It's in the dark. The community doesn't get a benefit from an unexplained redex, only the reader knows why he clicked the button. No change with or without the redex.

Now though, the reader who disagrees can't satisfy himself with just clicking a button, now he has to explain his disagreement and this gives more vitality to the debate.​

I understand the appeal of the redex to the reader. "Aha, I got you bastard, you're wrong." but for the person who cot the redex, they're in the dark and so are the readers. I get the frustration, I've been reading some liberal idiocy today and it would have been nice to just click a button to show my disagreement but I got over it and then had to write a comment to explain my disagreement.

Writing furthers the debate, redex doesn't.

What we have now is essentially three positives. Even the "informative" one comes off as being positive.
I want something to be able to use, and then immediately see how many "yays" or "nays" a post received.

T

I understand the appeal of the redex to the reader. "Aha, I got you bastard, you're wrong." but for the person who cot the redex, they're in the dark and so are the readers. I get the frustration, I've been reading some liberal idiocy today and it would have been nice to just click a button to show my disagreement but I got over it and then had to write a comment to explain my disagreement.

I get where you're coming from but quite honestly, you're very new here and were not accustom to the rep system we had for years.. so to have that yanked without even consideration and then to take away something that a lot of us wanted to express our 'displeasure' SUCKS at best.. I hope you can respect that for the old tymerz here.

Here's what I wrote in another thread. A disagree button doesn't ADD anything to discussion:

Here's the problem as I see it. It's annoying to get a red x and not know why. It's similarly annoying to be reading a thread and having to wade through mountains of posts which simply say "I agree" before you get to one which disagrees and thus furthers the dialog. An Agree Button HELPS the board dynamic by removing the "I agree" clutter. A Disagree Button doesn't work the same way. Disagreement is the basis of debate. Even when used properly the disagree button doesn't further debate. It adds nothing to the community and only satisfies the reader. The reader can still silently disagree and the community doesn't know the basis of the disagreement. It's in the dark. The community doesn't get a benefit from an unexplained redex, only the reader knows why he clicked the button. No change with or without the redex.

Now though, the reader who disagrees can't satisfy himself with just clicking a button, now he has to explain his disagreement and this gives more vitality to the debate.​

There is a huge flaw in your logic. This website is not a place for debate, nor is debate what happens here. Oh, you can find a few instances of it going on, but for the most part, there is no debate. It actually cannot be truly called 'argumentation' as well. Either would imply that both parties have agreed upon a common ground and have staked their positions based upon that commonality.

There are a few users here that are worth having debates with, and some that even have a notion of fairness. But that is the exception rather than the norm.

Just My opinion.

The red X was perfect, unfortunately Jake Starkey and a few others whined like little bitches, and the result is now what we have.
It's like having a ballot with three choices and as long as you choose John Smith, you get to vote.

Can we please fix this with either going back to the red X or some other icon to display disagreement ?

:clap2: :clap2:

I wonder if the bitter medicine of a disagree button would go down easier if it wasn't red and wasn't a cross and wasn't labeled disagree. The symbolism of all 3 components gets people's fighting dander up.

:clap2: :clap2:
'It's nice to see you applaud a noob and give no consideration to the people who have been here for years.. It's shallow and disrespectful.. you can at least pretend to give a shit.. or not.

If the redex was used the way it was intended...this wouldn't have happened. But it was abused by some morons that decided to "disagree" (shit on) even JOKES or well wishes or telling about what someone had for lunch. So...redex was removed due to them.

If the redex was used the way it was intended...this wouldn't have happened. But it was abused by some morons that decided to "disagree" (shit on) even JOKES or well wishes or telling about what someone had for lunch. So...redex was removed due to them.
I honestly don't understand why it matters if someone clicks a button a million times?? WTF? Who cares and why would anyone who wasn;'t mentally unstable care??

I honestly don't understand why it matters if someone clicks a button a million times?? WTF? Who cares and why would anyone who wasn;'t mentally unstable care??

I agree. At the very most, it is an annoyance because of all the alerts. Certainly not the end of the world. I had TONS of X's. Lol.

It bugs some people, I guess, LGS. But that isn't what caused the prob. What caused the prob were the beavis and buttheads shitting sharts all over the carpet to piss people off..which it did...and those shitting shart assholes will continue to find ways to push even more buttons (pun intended), which causes Staff headaches, so WE have to be punished instead of the assholes causing the headaches. THAT is the problem.

Betty and George get poked all the time in school. It doesn't really hurt, but it is irritating to constantly be poked by the eraser end of a pencil by a few bullies. So..instead of the teacher punishing the bully doing it....the teacher AND the school decides to take away ALL pencils from EVERY student. Big whoop, says the asshole bullies. They just start to poke with their ruler. Soon..the school will take away the rulers too and the bullies? Oh, they will then pull out their crayons. Hope no artists are in that school cuz guess what will be taken away next.

So let me get this straight. From my brief perusal of this thread and the other one that has now been closed; (obviously) the reputation system is gone because of the forums software change.

Under the old rep system, we could not neg rep anyone more in a 48 time line, lest we risk getting a temp ban. We could not positive rep anyone too much either, lest we were presented with the "You must spread some more reputation around before giving it to ____ again" message. And actually that applied to trying to give a neg rep as well.

Then after the initial the forum software changes and we could agree and disagree as much as we want with a 'like' thrown in and no 'messages'.

Now, we cannot even disagree at all with a post? I'm sorry but a political forum becoming "Politically Correct" by not allowing any 'down' of a poster's post is too Politically Correct for a political forum.

Just takes out political out of a political forum. IMHO.

If it was or is at all possible with this new forum software, try to add the extension, or whatever to retrieve the old rep and then we should all quit our . . . . . . B+++ching.

p.s. I am sure that many others who have been members much longer than I will flame my post, it has happened before and I expect to happen again.

Just say it in words.

I agree. The red X was for anyone that didn't know what to say when they didn't agree. Post your reasons for your disagreeing. Some were just clicking on the RED X like trolls, because they didn't even know why they disagreed..... were using it as a childish weapon against those they don't like.

I'm glad it's gone.

So let me get this straight. From my brief perusal of this thread and the other one that has now been closed; (obviously) the reputation system is gone because of the forums software change.

Under the old rep system, we could not neg rep anyone more in a 48 time line, lest we risk getting a temp ban. We could not positive rep anyone too much either, lest we were presented with the "You must spread some more reputation around before giving it to ____ again" message. And actually that applied to trying to give a neg rep as well.

Then after the initial the forum software changes and we could agree and disagree as much as we want with a 'like' thrown in and no 'messages'.

Now, we cannot even disagree at all with a post? I'm sorry but a political forum becoming "Politically Correct" by not allowing any 'down' of a poster's post is too Politically Correct for a political forum.

Just takes out political out of a political forum. IMHO.

If it was or is at all possible with this new forum software, try to add the extension, or whatever to retrieve the old rep and then we should all quit our . . . . . . B+++ching.

p.s. I am sure that many others who have been members much longer than I will flame my post, it has happened before and I expect to happen again.
QFT!!!!! Which means your post will be ignored.. Liberals DESPISE facts.. hell, they're allergic to them and being this forum runs off the PC crowd, we can determine it's liberal bent now.. I never cared for Gunny but even I miss the way he ran the forum.. this is all getting to be HORSESHIT.

Just say it in words.

I agree. The red X was for anyone that didn't know what to say when they didn't agree. Post your reasons for your disagreeing. Some were just clicking on the RED X like trolls, because they didn't even know why they disagreed..... were using it as a childish weapon against those they don't like.

I'm glad it's gone.
I'm not glad its gone...but I would like some kind of way to disagree with a post without some schmuck deciding its an insult and then paybacking with shitload of the same over something I posted about what I had for lunch. Maybe a thumbs down. Or a wtf? Or SOMETHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back