We DESPERATELY need REAL term limits.

When this dog and pony show was created politicians didn't have to worry about looking good on camera for the news, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or any of the other instant info distractions these people pander to now.
Back then news could take days or weeks to filter back to the people. As a result the politicians of old had the ability to FOCUS ON THEIR JOBS rather than playing these games for instant gratification on the evening news.
Social Media has forever changed our political canvas and we are oblivious to it.

We need term limits and probably a few other minor tweaks to our system to keep it up with the reality of the times we live in.

What we need is an electorate that gives a shit. If we had that, term limits would take care of themselves.

And without that, no other changes are going to work.

Yep, and that seems to be less and less likely every year that passes

I have faith in future generations.

They are watching us fuck it up royally so maybe your hope is not misplaced.

We already have term limits. They're called elections.

Are you implying that because voters are stupid, or are so lazy they don't even bother to come out to vote, therefore it should be taken out of their hands?

What the hell does this have to do with people who choose not to vote for two corrupt whores of the Democrat or republican party?

This is about people who constantly vote for idiots like Maxine, Pocahontas, Diane , Lindsey ...

When this dog and pony show was created politicians didn't have to worry about looking good on camera for the news, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or any of the other instant info distractions these people pander to now.
Back then news could take days or weeks to filter back to the people. As a result the politicians of old had the ability to FOCUS ON THEIR JOBS rather than playing these games for instant gratification on the evening news.
Social Media has forever changed our political canvas and we are oblivious to it.

We need term limits and probably a few other minor tweaks to our system to keep it up with the reality of the times we live in.

We already have the best term limits.
If you don't have an articulate rebuttal why bother?

Never stopped you.

I always laugh at the argument that term limits will change anything.

The rules allow the shenanigans that you have now. More correctly, the lack of rules allows the shenanigans you have now. This allows the Senate to not hold hearings on a Judge, embargo information that is made public about Justices who may or may not have committed sexual assault as a youth, it didn’t come up but I’m sure the GOP Senate would have not held hearings on a treaty Obama may have negotiated if there was a chance it may pass a floor vote.

Changing the players does not make the game better. Changing the rules does. Do you wonder why there are not running backs that rush for 3,000 yards or a QB pass for 7,000 yards? The athletes are better….why hasn’t one done it or even come close in the NFL? It isn’t because of a lack of training or coordination. Its because the rules of the game essentially prohibit the feat. Different players did not yield better results. Different politicians will run the same crappy plays you guys (and we guys) complain about.

What we need is an electorate that gives a shit. If we had that, term limits would take care of themselves.
More pie in the sky fantasy nonsense. That will NEVER happen so how bout we deal with the reality that is in front of us?

Term limits will never happen as they would have to be voted into place by the very people that would be affected by them. What are the chances that will happen?

That we can agree on

More pie in the sky fantasy nonsense. That will NEVER happen so how bout we deal with the reality that is in front of us?

Term limits will never happen as they would have to be voted into place by the very people that would be affected by them. What are the chances that will happen?

I think term limits are a stupid idea. However, what you can do is install it in the future so that the current membership isn’t affected. Say pass legislation that in the year 2028, you may only have 2 more terms in addition to the completion of the term you may currently be serving. Meaning that if your term as Senator ends in 2030, you get 2 more terms and can serve until 2042. If your term ends in 2032, you get 2 more terms and you can serve until 2044 (provided you win your contests of course).

We already have the best term limits.
If you don't have an articulate rebuttal why bother?

Never stopped you.

I always laugh at the argument that term limits will change anything.

The rules allow the shenanigans that you have now. More correctly, the lack of rules allows the shenanigans you have now. This allows the Senate to not hold hearings on a Judge, embargo information that is made public about Justices who may or may not have committed sexual assault as a youth, it didn’t come up but I’m sure the GOP Senate would have not held hearings on a treaty Obama may have negotiated if there was a chance it may pass a floor vote.

Changing the players does not make the game better. Changing the rules does. Do you wonder why there are not running backs that rush for 3,000 yards or a QB pass for 7,000 yards? The athletes are better….why hasn’t one done it or even come close in the NFL? It isn’t because of a lack of training or coordination. Its because the rules of the game essentially prohibit the feat. Different players did not yield better results. Different politicians will run the same crappy plays you guys (and we guys) complain about.
I troll at times but I admit when I am trolling and usually it should be quite obvious. He was serious

I think term limits are a stupid idea. However, what you can do is install it in the future so that the current membership isn’t affected. Say pass legislation that in the year 2028, you may only have 2 more terms in addition to the completion of the term you may currently be serving. Meaning that if your term as Senator ends in 2030, you get 2 more terms and can serve until 2042. If your term ends in 2032, you get 2 more terms and you can serve until 2044 (provided you win your contests of course).

I am not a fan of term limits myself, it seems the founding fathers built in term limits with frequent elections.

The people in power today have no benefit in making them for the figure, remember it is all about the party and term limits help neither party.

People are just lazy and do not care, congress has an approval ratings in the teens yet they win reelection at like a 96% clip.

I am not a fan of term limits myself, it seems the founding fathers built in term limits with frequent elections.

The people in power today have no benefit in making them for the figure, remember it is all about the party and term limits help neither party.

People are just lazy and do not care, congress has an approval ratings in the teens yet they win reelection at like a 96% clip.

I think you're right but I don't think it is that large a deal in terms of the state of the nation. Only when seismic decisions/laws are passed is there any sort of push-back from the masses who do not care otherwise. I personally think it is a good thing; not that they don't care but that the creation is stable enough so you can not make it the focal point of your life.

Whether you prefer Term Limits or not, they have a fun podcast that has been out for a few months now....very entertaining music and skits and news. It is called "No Uncertain Terms" and its made by US Term Limits which I THINK is the largest activist group but not sure...

Forum List

Back