We can stop Monsanto

Have I been smoking crack today?

or did one of our far leftist whack jobs just vomit forth some conservative theory about monsanto

a company my far right buddy fears is going to kill us all

There are Monsanto whackos on both sides.

That's what happens, when you go so far right that you meet the far left on the other side.

while I'm suspicious of them, mostly b/c there's nothing wrong with our food, and the idea that dna altered rice will feed the poor in hellholes is bunk and they are making billions off of it, I don't see them as any more of a threat to the world than any fear mongers

2Thumb the Cynic eh?? Don't think there's ANY justification for GM enhanced rice?

Why Golden Rice

According to UNICEF, the estimated number of children deaths precipitated worldwide by vitamin A deficiency (VAD) every year lies at 1.15 million. Many more show VAD-related syndromes, among them loss of sight and increased susceptibility to a number of diseases. Biofortification &endash;the creation of plants that make or accumulate micronutrients&endash; has the potential to reduce these numbers significantly. The aim of biofortification is to improve the primary food source of hundreds of millions of people by increasing the nutritional quality of staple crops.

Golden Rice is a good example of a biofortified crop. In this specific case biofortification was obtained by genetic modification of the rice plant to produce and accumulate provitamin A (β-carotene) in the grain, something that doesn't happen in naturally occurring rice plants. This feat was accomplished by Ingo Potrykus, professor emeritus of the Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland, and Professor Peter Beyer of the University of Freiburg, Germany, in the late 1990s, after several years of work, and has been further improved since then.

In developing countries 500,000 people, mainly children, become blind every year, 50 percent of which die within a year of becoming blind. Nearly nine million children die of malnutrion every year. VAD severely affects the immune system, hence it is involved in many of these children's deaths in the guise of a number of diseases. Recently, malaria deaths in children under five years of age has been linked to deficiencies in the intake of protein, vitamin A and zinc (Caulfield et al., 2004).

If it's a staple food and you can SAVE THAT MANY LIVES and enrich general health?
I'd allow it without reservation. Don't be a leftist about this :D

How Do We Stop Monsanto? It's as Easy as This... - Forward Progressives

If you want to stop the beast, stop feeding it. Stop buying your food from Wal-Mart and the big box stores. Instead, buy from a local backyard farmer, local co-op, or take the time to fill a pot with some earth and plant some seeds (preferably non-GMO). Grow your own and share with your neighbors. Not only will you do some real damage to Monsanto, but you’ll also strengthen your community. That’s the only way to take the monster down.

See more: How Do We Stop Monsanto? It’s as Easy as This… How Do We Stop Monsanto? It's as Easy as This... - Forward Progressives
Printable List of Monsanto Owned ?Food? Producers | The Mind Unleashed

Luddly is still all hot and bothered over Monsanto because he didn't get the new memo.

3 New Studies Link Bee Decline to Bayer Pesticide | Mother Jones

If you want to stop the beast, stop feeding it. Stop buying your food from Wal-Mart and the big box stores. Instead, buy from a local backyard farmer, local co-op, or take the time to fill a pot with some earth and plant some seeds (preferably non-GMO). Grow your own and share with your neighbors. Not only will you do some real damage to Monsanto, but you’ll also strengthen your community. That’s the only way to take the monster down.

See more: How Do We Stop Monsanto? It’s as Easy as This… How Do We Stop Monsanto? It's as Easy as This... - Forward Progressives

Luddly is still all hot and bothered over Monsanto because he didn't get the new memo.

3 New Studies Link Bee Decline to Bayer Pesticide | Mother Jones

And there were news items about a year ago about CITIES applying those pesticides AGAINST the instructions and causing destruction of bee hives. There's always more to the story than you get at tinkprogress or MotherJones..

It would be easier to boycott food than all those companies.

That's quite a statement, dontcha think?

Nope. Even fruits and veg are often genetically modified. One would need to become an anorexic vegetarian. Even if you take a company like Coke--they own so many brands that you practically would have to give up any beverages.

Stop it from what, making food incredibly cheap?

Rare that we agree but I agree with you fully in this case. Their hybrid crap is harmful in many ways. It's not as healthy as natural fruits and veggies; their crap harms the bee population; and their junk doesn't produce seed that can be replanted. I never buy anything but natural foods (free range meat, eggs, and natural fruits and vegetables).

Rare that we agree but I agree with you fully in this case. Their hybrid crap is harmful in many ways. It's not as healthy as natural fruits and veggies; their crap harms the bee population; and their junk doesn't produce seed that can be replanted. I never buy anything but natural foods (free range meat, eggs, and natural fruits and vegetables).

Their seeds can be replanted. It has been the subject of lawsuits against farmers. It is a violation of their terms for selling the seeds in the first place. Some farmers have propagated those seeds and been caught doing it. They require you buy new seeds from them every year if you want to continue using their varieties.

Most of the world's food comes from three crops--rice, corn, and wheat, so your buying natural foods is good for you and your local producers (I do too when I can), it is going to make no difference to agribusiness.

Forum List

Back