Former Trump Lawyer Michael Cohen Submitted Fictitious Cases To Court Which Were Generated By Google's AI Bard Bot

Jim H - VA USA

Plutonium Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 19, 2020
You can't make this stuff up.

Cohen sent his attorney stuff. The attorney included it in court filings without checking it. The stuff was fiction...

"The three citations in Mr. Cohen’s case appear to be hallucinations created by the Bard chatbot, taking bits and pieces of actual cases and combining them with robotic imagination. Mr. Schwartz then wove them into the motion he submitted to Judge Furman."

"Prosecutors may argue that Mr. Cohen’s actions were not intended to defraud the court, but rather, by his own admission, were a product of a woeful misunderstanding of new technology.

The issue of lawyers relying on chatbots exploded into public view earlier this year after another federal judge in Manhattan, P. Kevin Castel, fined two lawyers $5,000 after they admitted filing a legal brief filled with nonexistent cases and citations, all generated by ChatGPT."

"Professor Volokh said he had counted a dozen cases in which lawyers or litigants representing themselves were believed to have used chatbots for legal research that ended up in court filings. “I strongly suspect that this is just the tip of the iceberg,” he said."

(NYT Paywall - use incognito mode and press escape key immediately to get around.)

(NBC short version)

Cohen sent his attorney stuff. The attorney included it in court filings without checking it. The stuff was fiction...

"The three citations in Mr. Cohen’s case appear to be hallucinations created by the Bard chatbot, taking bits and pieces of actual cases and combining them with robotic imagination. Mr. Schwartz then wove them into the motion he submitted to Judge Furman."

"Prosecutors may argue that Mr. Cohen’s actions were not intended to defraud the court, but rather, by his own admission, were a product of a woeful misunderstanding of new technology.

The issue of lawyers relying on chatbots exploded into public view earlier this year after another federal judge in Manhattan, P. Kevin Castel, fined two lawyers $5,000 after they admitted filing a legal brief filled with nonexistent cases and citations, all generated by ChatGPT."

"Professor Volokh said he had counted a dozen cases in which lawyers or litigants representing themselves were believed to have used chatbots for legal research that ended up in court filings. “I strongly suspect that this is just the tip of the iceberg,” he said."

(NYT Paywall - use incognito mode and press escape key immediately to get around.)

(NBC short version)
He found it on the internet----IT MUST BE TRUE. Tech companies are not to be trusted in any way, shape or form. Orwell knew what he was talking about.

(NBC short version)
Like the CPL. Such a great guy for some in media to embrace...

And he's been the chief witness in the phony civil prosecution in NY, and is supposed to be the prime witness for Alvin Bragg in the upcoming [bogus] criminal case over paying Stormy Daniels.

(NBC short version)
What is your point?

Hate on chatbots/AI?

What is your point?

Hate on chatbots/AI?

• Michael Cohen is a piece of work.
  • Cohen's lawyer didn't even bother to confirm the BS he was sent and then officially filed it.
  • I expect lawyers to be a bit smarter than the AI the two-bit ones use to google.
  • AI is a bit of an oxymoron, clearly still in its infancy.
  • You'd think that if anyone would read the Bard terms of service, it would be lawyers. The terms include, "Don’t rely on the Services for medical, legal, financial, or other professional advice. Any content regarding those topics is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice from a qualified professional."
  • LOL!

• Michael Cohen is a piece of work.
  • Cohen's lawyer didn't even bother to confirm the BS he was sent and then officially filed it.
  • I expect lawyers to be a bit smarter than the AI the two-bit ones use to google.
  • AI is a bit of an oxymoron, clearly still in its infancy.
  • You'd think that if anyone would read the Bard terms of service, it would be lawyers. The terms include, "Don’t rely on the Services for medical, legal, financial, or other professional advice. Any content regarding those topics is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice from a qualified professional."
  • LOL!
So Mr. Trump who has said (as has his children), that he only hires the best people for the job -- Cohen was his personal lawyer for years.

Most everyone in the inner circles surrounding Trump have either been imbeciles, or have swallowed their own self-respect and honor...

So again, was your point about how toxic Trump is and the people he hires are not the best for the job? I mean, that man was Mr. Trump's personal lawyer for years.

So again, was your point about how toxic Trump is and the people he hires are not the best for the job?

No, that was not my point. It is your point, possibly motivated by an obsession with Trump.

Regards,
Jim

That's another Avanatti the neo-shitlibs slobbered over until it was locked up and then it wasn't really presentable any more.... :laughing0301: :laughing0301:

mikey cohen cocksucker.jpg

So Mr. Trump who has said (as has his children), that he only hires the best people for the job -- Cohen was his personal lawyer for years.

Most everyone in the inner circles surrounding Trump have either been imbeciles, or have swallowed their own self-respect and honor...

So again, was your point about how toxic Trump is and the people he hires are not the best for the job? I mean, that man was Mr. Trump's personal lawyer for years.
~~~~~~
Everyone is entitled to make mistakes....
Just think about the mistake your parents made by having you...

(NBC short version)
Other lawyers in other cases made the same mistake.

You can't make it up about them, either.

Huge nothingburger.

Why? I’m not interested. My attention is on your rules violations, the dainty.

Consider altering your behavior, accordingly. And when you try to be all snarky and precious, give a thought to using spell check.
Dante did not violate any rules. You're such a pussy. And when Dante leaves...

You'll miss him the most.

"I made a bet. If Obama wins re-election, then I leave the Board."

Other lawyers in other cases made the same mistake.

You can't make it up about them, either.

Huge nothingburger.

I really don't think you have considered the implications of AI. It's not a nothingburger, lawyers submitting fiction written by Google programs. Imagine if the judge did not check.

It is also quite notable that Cohen got nailed doing it. It's like cheating on a term paper, or plagiarizing a thesis.

Just wait until AI is designing buildings and airplanes.

In theory, it should get better than humans at what it does. So far, it's not really there, but it can do stuff like write decent poetry, and it can do it instantly. Most humans can't do it given much more time.

Self-driving cars are another story. Been a long time coming, and they are fraught with problems for now.

Forum List

Back