Washington Post : Obama Administration EXEMPTED BP's Gulf of Mexico drilling from ...

Ooops. I guess all those huge political contributions BP and their employees gave to Obama persuaded him to look the other way.

transparency-lies.jpg

Huge? I think someone is exaggerating. And BP didn't give him money, their employees did.. If we are going to be a hack, at least get the facts straight.

BP has lobbied the White House Council on Environmental Quality -- which provides NEPA guidance for all federal agencies-- to provide categorical exemptions more often. In an April 9 letter, BP America's senior federal affairs director, Margaret D. Laney, wrote to the council that such exemptions should be used in situations where environmental damage is likely to be "minimal or non-existent." An expansion in these waivers would help "avoid unnecessary paperwork and time delays," she added.

washingtonpost.com

What does lobied mean these days?

What's hilarious is all these attempts to prove some "connection" between BP and Obama. THINK!! Why then is Obama flat-out holding BP responsible? Logic dictates that Obama would be trying to place the blame elsewhere if there were in fact any cozy relationship. That actually might be easy since he could start blaming Halliburton which built the concrete fixtures that were supposed to hold the oil in place, even under stress.

A similar stupid allegation is the attempt to make something out of Goldman-Sachs' campaign contributions to Obama, when in fact Obama is holding their feet to the fire.

why feel sorry for them? did you even read the full article?

it was the BUSH ADMINistration that reviewed their safety standards 3 times in 2007...and BP has lied about the risks?

These clowns often don't read their own links. They take excerpts that will justify what they will post, and hope nobody actually reads the material. It's done so many times here, you'd think they'd wise up.

Its not 2007 peckerhead....there wasn't a drop oil spilled in 2007....

Earth to USMB: Mega Corporations Lobby Everyone.

They hedge their bets by supporting both major parties and the major candidates. This is why Cronyism is so insidious. The only way to stop it is to eliminate earmarks, bail outs, and reduce the scope of government so there are less opportunities for Cronyism.

You need to distinguish between cronyism and lobbying, the latter of course can't be eliminated, unfortunately. Cronyism would exist regardless of the size of government.

What's hilarious is all these attempts to prove some "connection" between BP and Obama. THINK!! Why then is Obama flat-out holding BP responsible? Logic dictates that Obama would be trying to place the blame elsewhere if there were in fact any cozy relationship. That actually might be easy since he could start blaming Halliburton which built the concrete fixtures that were supposed to hold the oil in place, even under stress.

A similar stupid allegation is the attempt to make something out of Goldman-Sachs' campaign contributions to Obama, when in fact Obama is holding their feet to the fire.

They're just trying to deflect from the fact that Halliburton was involved.. and good-ol' Dick Cheney of course is the former CEO of Halliburton.

It's a "pre-emptive" strike of PR tactics.

Last edited:
Huge? I think someone is exaggerating. And BP didn't give him money, their employees did.. If we are going to be a hack, at least get the facts straight.

BP has lobbied the White House Council on Environmental Quality -- which provides NEPA guidance for all federal agencies-- to provide categorical exemptions more often. In an April 9 letter, BP America's senior federal affairs director, Margaret D. Laney, wrote to the council that such exemptions should be used in situations where environmental damage is likely to be "minimal or non-existent." An expansion in these waivers would help "avoid unnecessary paperwork and time delays," she added.

washingtonpost.com

Why ? WTF ...do you expect him to take responsibility ?

If he can't blame BP, he'll blame Bush....its already happening.

Ooops. I guess all those huge political contributions BP and their employees gave to Obama persuaded him to look the other way.

Here's my copy and paste from all the other BS Threads on this subject.

British Petroleum has 80,000 employees. If only a few hundred of them made average-sized campaign donations (about $250.00) to Mr Obama, that total would have been reached.

Considering Mr Obama $600 Million (or about $2 for every American) for his 2008 presidential bid, it would stand to reason that any sample population taken randomly would have given a significant amount of campaign donations.

In fact, on average, 80,000 people from BP should have produced about $160,000 Dollars in campaign donations. The amount from BP is actually short.

Your post is sad. Public School graduate I assume?

It's amazing how people continue to support "their politician" regardless of the facts. I guess you missed this post:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/116183-washington-post-obama-administration-exempted-bps-gulf-of-mexico-drilling-from-2.html

But seriously, don't be a partisan hack. America already has too many of them. You sound like a Bush supporter.

the title of the thread you linked to is a lie, the WPost did NOT SAY the obama administration.

The Interior Department exempted BP
's calamitous Gulf of Mexico drilling operation from a detailed environmental impact analysis last year, according to government documents, after three reviews of the area (done in 2007) concluded that a massive oil spill was unlikely.

looks like the analysis that warranted the approval were all done by the interior dept back in 2007.....2 months in to the obama administration is not logistically enough time for that administration to run any of their own analysis.

you guys are just batcrap crazy in your quests to nail obama....it's amazing!:lol:

So they listened to BP's advice that they are safe enough? Fox telling the farmer he will guard his chickens? Bullshit and you know it. They exempted them.

what complete and utter bullshit.

do you think 2 months after obama was elected he had replaced the people that this tiny department had?

BUSH people were running the show...in this regulatory division....and even if obama had gotten around to replacing them, their decision was BASED ON the 3 analysis that were done in the year 2007....and the analysis that BP presented to them....there is NO WAY the obama administration could have possibly had time to do their own review and analysis of the spot 8+ weeks in to his presidency....

sheesh!

Obama-Biden Transition: Agency Review Teams

The Agency Review Teams for the Obama-Biden Transition will complete a thorough review of key departments, agencies and commissions of the United States government, as well as the White House, to provide the President-elect, Vice President-elect, and key advisors with information needed to make strategic policy, budgetary, and personnel decisions prior to the inauguration. The Teams will ensure that senior appointees have the information necessary to complete the confirmation process, lead their departments, and begin implementing signature policy initiatives immediately after they are sworn in.

Department of the Interior, Robert Anderson
Department of the Interior, Deanna Archuleta
Department of the Interior, John Echohawk
Department of the Interior, Edward Farquhar
Department of the Interior, Molly McUsic
Department of the Interior, Shirley Neff
Department of the Interior, Renee Stone
Department of the Interior, Mark Van Putten
Department of the Interior, Roger Rivera
Department of the Interior, Robert Stanton
Department of the Interior, Theodore Sedgewick

I'm confused. Seems to me that probably the safety analyses for BP and all the rest were acceptable for many years, but there was a freak accident. Therefore you people seem to be advocating 100% God-Protected Regulation. Yup. Any day now. Can you hear the thunder?

Get fucking real.

So they listened to BP's advice that they are safe enough? Fox telling the farmer he will guard his chickens? Bullshit and you know it. They exempted them.

what complete and utter bullshit.

do you think 2 months after obama was elected he had replaced the people that this tiny department had?

BUSH people were running the show...in this regulatory division....and even if obama had gotten around to replacing them, their decision was BASED ON the 3 analysis that were done in the year 2007....and the analysis that BP presented to them....there is NO WAY the obama administration could have possibly had time to do their own review and analysis of the spot 8+ weeks in to his presidency....

sheesh!

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/pdf/BP_letter_050410.pdf

APRIL 9, 2010 is 8 weeks into Obama's term ???? I THINK NOT

And nobody with half a brain cell makes decisions in 2010 based on information from 2007....
Get over the goddamn "blame Bush: syndrome already....its getting old...

Although I don't blame Bush for this, his policies will NEVER "get old." They don't just evaporate with a change in administrations.

why feel sorry for them? did you even read the full article?

it was the BUSH ADMINistration that reviewed their safety standards 3 times in 2007...and BP has lied about the risks?

These clowns often don't read their own links. They take excerpts that will justify what they will post, and hope nobody actually reads the material. It's done so many times here, you'd think they'd wise up.

It was a fucking accident, asshole, and could just as well have happened in 2007. Hello?

British Petroleum has 80,000 employees. If only a few hundred of them made average-sized campaign donations (about $250.00) to Mr Obama, that total would have been reached.

Considering Mr Obama $600 Million (or about $2 for every American) for his 2008 presidential bid, it would stand to reason that any sample population taken randomly would have given a significant amount of campaign donations.

In fact, on average, 80,000 people from BP should have produced about $160,000 Dollars in campaign donations. The amount from BP is actually short.

It's amazing how people continue to support "their politician" regardless of the facts. I guess you missed this post:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/116183-washington-post-obama-administration-exempted-bps-gulf-of-mexico-drilling-from-2.html

But seriously, don't be a partisan hack. America already has too many of them. You sound like a Bush supporter.

the title of the thread you linked to is a lie, the WPost did NOT SAY the obama administration.

's calamitous Gulf of Mexico drilling operation from a detailed environmental impact analysis last year, according to government documents, after three reviews of the area (done in 2007) concluded that a massive oil spill was unlikely.

looks like the analysis that warranted the approval were all done by the interior dept back in 2007.....2 months in to the obama administration is not logistically enough time for that administration to run any of their own analysis.

you guys are just batcrap crazy in your quests to nail obama....it's amazing!:lol:

Obama Positioned to Quickly Reverse Bush Actions

Stem Cell, Climate Rules Among Targets of President-Elect's Team

By Ceci Connolly and R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, November 9, 2008

Transition advisers to President-elect Barack Obama have compiled a list of about 200 Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse White House policies on climate change, stem cell research, reproductive rights and other issues, according to congressional Democrats, campaign aides and experts working with the transition team. "

So it appears that he agreed with the Bush's administration's findings.

washingtonpost.com

Why ? WTF ...do you expect him to take responsibility ?

If he can't blame BP, he'll blame Bush....its already happening.

Oh, okay then. Got it. :cuckoo:

Political contributions
The BP political action committee (PAC) gave $219,500 to federal candidates in the 05/06 election cycle - 34% to Democrats, 65% to Republicans. [3]

Lobbying and Political Contributions
BP is one of the largest energy company contributors to both Republican and Democratic candidates for Congress. These contributions total $122,300 to the 110th US Congress (as of the third quarter), the largest of which has been to Rep. Mary Landrieu (D-LA). Rep. Landrieu, for her part, has been supportive of the oil industry on energy, war and climate bills.[40]

BP - SourceWatch

Obama Positioned to Quickly Reverse Bush Actions

Stem Cell, Climate Rules Among Targets of President-Elect's Team

By Ceci Connolly and R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, November 9, 2008

Transition advisers to President-elect Barack Obama have compiled a list of about 200 Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse White House policies on climate change, stem cell research, reproductive rights and other issues, according to congressional Democrats, campaign aides and experts working with the transition team. "

So it appears that he agreed with the Bush's administration's findings.

Ohmugod...now we have to backtrack to campaign promises? How far do you idiots want to reach before you all implode by your insanity?

Let's get one thing clear: President Obama is NO FUCKING WAY "responsible" for the oil rig explosion, nor the resulting oil spill. To date, all the facts on what went wrong have not even been established. But to even hint that a POTUS, even George W. Bush, should be held responsible for this catastrophe (no, liable, according to the fucking fools posting here) is just plain ignorant thinking. Correct that: ILLITERATE thinking.

No sir, YOU are clearly the partisan hack. Is there a problem with my math?

Are you saying that BP does not in fact have 80,000 employees, that 600 million divided by 300 million does not equal 2, or that 2 x 80,000 does not equal 160,000?

Which is it, cause I'd love to know? And I was replying to the post I quoted above, not to the OP, which is why I quoted the post, duh.

So, if I'm a "public school graduate", that would make you a "public school dropout".

Oh brother. Of course there's a problem with your math!!!!!

This is wrong:

And even if your silly assumption is correct, this is wrong:

The amount from BP is actually short.

You cannot assume the donations from the people of BP would equal 2x80,000 = $160,000 because it's not a representative sample population. "about $638,000 came from individuals."

Read!

As reported by every news outlet across the globe:

April 20 (10 p.m.): Oil rig explosion. The U.S. Coast Guard Response System assigns primary responsibility for cleaning up oil spills to BP as the responsible party.

April 21: otherwise known as Day One. Deputy Secretary of Interior, Coast Guard dispatched to region. Following a briefing with President Obama, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Thad Allen, Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, EPA Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate, and Deputy Secretary of the Interior David Hayes dispatched to the region yesterday to assist with coordination and response."

Search and rescue efforts begin for 11 missing.

CNN.com: "The U.S. Coast Guard launched a major search effort."
BP confirms U.S. Coast Guard was "leading the emergency response"

April 23: Coast Guard "focused on mitigating the impact of the product currently in the water." Federal agencies have technical teams in place overseeing the proposals by BP and Transocean to completely secure the well. A high readiness posture to respond will remain in place.

April 25: Response team implements try to contain oil spilling from source, weather delays cleanup.

April 28: Federal officials realize spill was far more severe than BP led them to believe. "Government officials said late Wednesday night that oil might be leaking from a well in the Gulf of Mexico at a rate five times that suggested by initial estimates...

"For days, as an oil spill spread in the Gulf of Mexico , BP assured the government the plume was manageable, not catastrophic. Federal authorities were content to let the company handle the mess while keeping an eye on the operation...

“But then government scientists realized the leak was five times larger than they had been led to believe, and days of lulling statistics and reassuring words gave way Thursday to an all-hands-on-deck emergency response.”

April 29: Homeland Security declares spill "of national significance"; BP insists its "plan can handle this spill."

And not much has changed since then, as the spill continues to grow and resolutions continue to be attempted.

It was a fucking accident, asshole, and could just as well have happened in 2007. Hello?

Could have ?....:lol:......Yeah, but it DIDN'T...

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...ter_050410.pdf

APRIL 9, 2010 i
And nobody makes decisions in 2010 based on information from 2007....unless they are absolutely stupid....or Democrat....

I know ... its redundant...

Hack? :lol:

Don't be a hack, Luissa. Google is your friend:

Obama top recipient of BP contributions last 20 yrs. | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Donations come from a mix of employees and the company’s political action committees — $2.89 million flowed to campaigns from BP-related PACs and about $638,000 came from individuals...

Obama recieved $77,000, you might want to add that.

And show me proof he took PAC mony from BP, the only sources I can find on this, are right wing rags.

You're off a little: $638,000.

You'll have to look at PAC money sites. They are blocked where I am.

so, is BP an American company now? Are foreign companies or foreigners allowed to donate/contribute to presidential campaigns?

or is all of this money just individual donations of people that are American citizens that work at BP?

anyway, figures landrieu is up there on the list.

Hack? :lol:

Don't be a hack, Luissa. Google is your friend:

Obama top recipient of BP contributions last 20 yrs. | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Donations come from a mix of employees and the company’s political action committees — $2.89 million flowed to campaigns from BP-related PACs and about $638,000 came from individuals...

The major corporations (the real players) are always going to support whichever president is a shoo-in. It's as simple as that. Why would they throw tons of donations down the drain at a loser?

Finally. Someone on the Left admits that BP poured "tons of donations" into the Obama campaign. Politicians can be bought.

Could have ?....:lol:......Yeah, but it DIDN'T...

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...ter_050410.pdf

APRIL 9, 2010 i
And nobody makes decisions in 2010 based on information from 2007....unless they are absolutely stupid....or Democrat....

I know ... its redundant...

sheesh Alpha....read the article that you/the Op linked, PLEASE.

it STATES right in the article that they used the 3 studies done by the interior department from 2007 to come to their decision on this....

Forum List

Back