Was watching some old TV shows with my kid,

The smoking still shocks me

How they would stop a scene so the actors could light up and then the smoke cloud would obstruct the actors

It didn't hurt matters that the cigarette companies were major television advertisers. I recall a lot a their slogans and jingles to this day, even how we kids satirized some of their jingles on the school bus .....

Winston taste bad
Like the one I just had
No filter
No flavor
Just plain old toilet paper

Some of us were discussing "ancient" entertainment at work, between flights. We ginned up "Blazing Saddles" for some of our younger colleagues. Funny as hell, but you sure couldn't make that move nowadays!

They edit the n-word out of it

When color tv's were a real new thing. Also the tv repairman, if you can imagine such a thing now, came to your house to DeGauss the tv. And it was weird to watch, like he was some alchemist from the past. I always thought he was going to die watching him working on the back of the tv with the cover off.

You never see a TV repairman now
They last ten or twenty years then you throw them out

`
I collect digitized retro-tv programs. Not only do I own every "Twilight Zone" ever made, but now and also have a complete collection of every "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoon. I've only watched one show though. Someday I'll look at the rest.
`

Some of us were discussing "ancient" entertainment at work, between flights. We ginned up "Blazing Saddles" for some of our younger colleagues. Funny as hell, but you sure couldn't make that move nowadays!

Maybe because now, it wouldn't be funny. Yes, skewering racism and westerns was funny in 1973. But Racism is still a really big problem in 2016, and no one makes westerns anymore. The real problem with Blazing Saddles is no one would get half the jokes if they are below a certain age.

I should point out that Mel Brooks hasn't made a funny film since Spaceballs in 1987. His schtick got old a long time ago.

I remember the smoking.... when I was a kid I am pretty sure every aunt and uncle I had smoked, both sides of the family.
A number of the older men smoked pipes, a few cigars.
Today, for the most part, only teens and poor people smoke.

Maybe because now, it wouldn't be funny. Yes, skewering racism and westerns was funny in 1973. But Racism is still a really big problem in 2016, and no one makes westerns anymore. The real problem with Blazing Saddles is no one would get half the jokes if they are below a certain age.

I should point out that Mel Brooks hasn't made a funny film since Spaceballs in 1987. His schtick got old a long time ago.
Mel has had a long run
From Show of Shows in the 50s to Producers, Get Smart, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Spaceballs......

His comedy is still drawing fans today

The 1970's TV was the beginning of the end of real racism, before perceived racism and the race pimps.
Shows like All in the Family took on racism and many other social issues front and center.
This is not the political forum so I will stop with that.

First hint she points out is no cell phones. It just blew her away that the world ran without cell phones and Facebook. For me, it really stands out how much cigarette smoking there was. In Hospitals, court rooms teacher lounges restaurants and so on. That and some of the stuff they said, man they would have never gotten away with that in those days.
Kids are more observant than some people realize.
Their maturing brains are soaking up every tidbit of info it can.

Related story, last summing I help my friend's son move his young family. He. rented a box truck, and we had our pickup's and trailers. His kids ages 9, 8, 6 were completely mesmerized with the manual widows on that truck, as they had never seen a hand crank window in a vehicle. They played with those windows to the point where their parents scolded them to leave them alone.

We have Amazon prime and the wife loves watching the old movies and TV shows on the it.

Yes there was racism in TV shows and cartoons in the 40's, through 70's.

It was easy to tell who was the bad guy in the old (1934) western I watched today.

upload_2018-5-19_12-33-40.png

But what was really weird, that guy sitting behind the saloon keeper wore a polka-dot cowboy hat. Was unaware they had those types of saloons back in the day.

We have Amazon prime and the wife loves watching the old movies and TV shows on the it.

Yes there was racism in TV shows and cartoons in the 40's, through 70's.

I enjoy old movies from 1930 up to around 1954, I catch most of them on YouTube. What you say is very true and sometimes outright embarrassing.... like the minute here: Hell's House

Back in the 1960s I worked in Master Control at an ABC television affiliate. Had to put up with watching Saturday cartoons to cut away and run local commercials/PSAs/promos. Hated it until one day I paid close attention to "George of The Jungle".

Some of the visuals were fraught with sexuality but played out with such casualness that something would happen and the actual meaning wouldn't cross one's mind until a minute or two later. Probably would never occur to a child but any adult viewing.......and paying attention (which few ever did).....

But funniest - and downright dirtiest - were words spoken at a very rapid pace by the narrator. I recall the introduction of a character as something like: "Professor Smedley-Jones, dean of music and noted skinflautist". There were many more but you had to listen fast!

It wasn't the only series doing that stuff but most never got noticed. It was only after a big flap involving quick flashes in some Disney releases:

Back in the 1960s I worked in Master Control at an ABC television affiliate. Had to put up with watching Saturday cartoons to cut away and run local commercials/PSAs/promos. Hated it until one day I paid close attention to "George of The Jungle".

Some of the visuals were fraught with sexuality but played out with such casualness that something would happen and the actual meaning wouldn't cross one's mind until a minute or two later. Probably would never occur to a child but any adult viewing.......and paying attention (which few ever did).....

But funniest - and downright dirtiest - were words spoken at a very rapid pace by the narrator. I recall the introduction of a character as something like: "Professor Smedley-Jones, dean of music and noted skinflautist". There were many more but you had to listen fast!

It wasn't the only series doing that stuff but most never got noticed. It was only after a big flap involving quick flashes in some Disney releases:

George, George, George of the Jungle.....

The smoking still shocks me

How they would stop a scene so the actors could light up and then the smoke cloud would obstruct the actors

If you watch John Wayne, and William Holden movies (except the westerns), almost every scene they are smoking. They were big enough stars that they probably demanded that another character offer them a cigarette whenever they started a new scene.

Forum List

Back