Was watching some old TV shows with my kid,

Crixus

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2015
BFE Texas.
First hint she points out is no cell phones. It just blew her away that the world ran without cell phones and Facebook. For me, it really stands out how much cigarette smoking there was. In Hospitals, court rooms teacher lounges restaurants and so on. That and some of the stuff they said, man they would have never gotten away with that in those days.

Imagine how many old storylines would have been over in two minutes if they had cell phones.

"Oh no! We need to warn whoever about... Wait... I'll text him."

There was a time when you couldn't take music with you.
And then came the wonder of the ages. The transistor radio.
You could fill a stadium with all the transistors that fell out of my pocket and cracked apart. Turn them down low and put them next to your pillow so the parental units wouldn't hear it and make you turn it off. Fun times.

First hint she points out is no cell phones. It just blew her away that the world ran without cell phones and Facebook. For me, it really stands out how much cigarette smoking there was. In Hospitals, court rooms teacher lounges restaurants and so on. That and some of the stuff they said, man they would have never gotten away with that in those days.

Yup. Cigarettes and bourbon were all over TV.

Being a child during the 60s and 70s, smoking was a grownup thing, and almost all adults in my world smoked. I can remember times as a kid that I just could not get away from the smoke. Going on a two hour car trip to visit relatives seemed like torture. As I grew older, most my adult family members quit as did both my mother and father.

To this day, to me smoking a cigarette or cigar seems almost as discussing as eating dog turds from the yard. I have difficulty understanding why someone would voluntarily set a substance like tobacco on fire to breath in the pollution.

If you are a smoker, do the world a favor. Don't offer that non-smoker that first cigar or cigarette that may potentially get that person addicted and shorten that person's life.

I'm fortunate that my cable package includes MeTV, AntennaTV, COZI, KHSV1, GRIT, and more. I get to watch some of the truly great shows of a time when the writing was good, the acting professional, and with reasonable standards.

Not just the smoking itself --- watch what Mike Wallace does here once his cigarette is lit....

I also remember that in any TV or movie drama when people enter a room the first thing they do is wander over to the liquor supply ---- which of course every home has :wtf: ---- and mix a drink.

Being a child during the 60s and 70s, smoking was a grownup thing, and almost all adults in my world smoked. I can remember times as a kid that I just could not get away from the smoke. Going on a two hour car trip to visit relatives seemed like torture. As I grew older, most my adult family members quit as did both my mother and father.

To this day, to me smoking a cigarette or cigar seems almost as discussing as eating dog turds from the yard. I have difficulty understanding why someone would voluntarily set a substance like tobacco on fire to breath in the pollution.

If you are a smoker, do the world a favor. Don't offer that non-smoker that first cigar or cigarette that may potentially get that person addicted and shorten that person's life.

Cigarettes? Never.

Bourbon? :2up:

Not just the smoking itself --- watch what Mike Wallace does here once his cigarette is lit....

FIRE!

I remember sitting on the shitter as a kid and thinking about how cool it would be if I could just sit there and watch a movie on some small handheld device.

I remember sitting on the shitter as a kid and thinking about how cool it would be if I could just sit there and watch a movie on some small handheld device.
I thought maxwell smart's shoe phone was kind of cool. And batman had lots of cool gadgets in his utility belt.

I also remember that in any TV or movie drama when people enter a room the first thing they do is wander over to the liquor supply ---- which of course every home has :wtf: ---- and mix a drink.

Lol, cosmo or something like that. We were watching he monkeys and my girl child noticed they made cleavage and thighs blurred out on the ladies in skirts.thought that was pretty funny.

andy smoked on mayberry.....and the violence of course the violence is still there...i love the fashion in old tv shows and movies...hats..what happen to hats? and gloves?

Forum List

Back