War Being Decided on Op-ed Pages instead of Battlefield?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Adam's Apple, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Op Eds Now More Central in War than Bullets
    by Daniel Pipes, New York Sun
    October 17, 2006

Soldiers, sailors, and airmen once determined the outcome of warfare, but no longer. Today, television producers, columnists, preachers, and politicians have the pivotal role in deciding how well the West fights. This shift has deep implications.

for full article:
    http://www.danielpipes.org/pf.php?id=4059

2. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Sad but true. I mean when you have the terrorist groups sending videos to CNN of them killing our soldiers weeks before an election, our enemies know how to win this war. They obviously know they have no shot at a military struggle as they are almost wiped out but they can still win if they get rid of the Republicans. They know that by doing this they can get America to leave Iraq and Afghanistan and thus allow them a major victory for their cause.

Why else has the fighting escalated 10 fold over the last month or so. They know that Western Media will replay their violence 24/7 and echo it into every head they reach in order to push the MSM agenda of getting rid of Bush. Which ironically (or disturbingly) is the terrorist agenda as well. They know that getting rid of Bush's power is the only way to get American forces out of Iraq and Afghanistan and stop America for at least a few years from taking the fight to them.

A sad world we live in.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,433
    Except that it's total bull... I find it interesting that you have more problem with information being given to the public than WHAT the underlying information represents.

People die in war. How many are dying, how they are dying and whether their deaths are for a good purpose is something the public has a right to know and to decide for themselves.

Or should we do what they used to do in the old Soviet Union and play pro-government propaganda 24/7?

4. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Soviet Russia is exactly the goal of the media. Why do you think they want to push for laws to control the internet? They dont like having their control slowly taken from their grasp.

I think we understood before that people die in war. However, what purpose does it serve to show propaganda foootage of a terrorist sniper shooting our soldiers? It serves to break the will of the American People right before an election. The fact that you accept it is why the terrorists do it. They know they can manipulate people like you who are willing to embrace anything that will serve your purpose of an American defeat. Is this the first soldier to die by an enemy gunshot in the history of the US? Not by a longshot. If you were so naive to think that people didnt die in war, then you dont live in the same world as the rest of us.

This propaganda film is exactly the kind of tool the enemy uses to weaken our will in order to stop us from taking the fight to them. And our media so willingly becomes their delivery system.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Nothing bull about it. The liberal MSM began deciding the outcome of wars when Cronkite uttered his infamous "we can't win" statement about Vietnam. Been rolling downhill ever since.

6. Redhots

Redhots Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Well it seems some people payed attention to the fable The Grasshopper and the Ant when they were kids.

Get your excuses ready early.

Nevermind bungling policy makers that started the war and the architects of the war who basicly blew it after the first year. No it isn't the combination of arrogance, ignorance, and greed that loses the war, its the damn librul media.

7. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    It's not total bull. Insein was making a valid point about the MSM's (particularly CNN) penchant for aiding and abetting the enemy. What is the purpose of showing pictures of terrorists killing our soldiers if not to destroy support for the war among Americans? Are you actually saying that the MSM does not aid and abet the enemy in this way??????

No one is opposed to receiving unbiased, factual reports about the WOT; but I, for one, have a real problem with the NYT blatantly printing classified materials in an effort to do harm to the Republicans--and to the country in a time of war.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,433

And I think it's nuts to say CNN is aiding and abetting the enemy. Sorry. But I do. As for the MSM, I've said before, and I continue to believe that it's called "mainstream" for a reason.... it's cause it's not extremist....

As for factual reports about the WOT. Most of us don't believe that Iraq has anything to do with the WOT. But that aside, I don't think you (and that's a generic you, not a personal you) do want factual reports. I think you only want things that are pro-Iraq and pro-Bush. Sorry... just how it seems to me. I'm sure I could be proven wrong on that.

As for releasing "classified information"... we know that isn't the case. I remember Gary Hart talking years ago about tracking the money and Kerry being involved in it as well since they had decided to track the money the same way they did with the banking and drug cases.

Now you wanna talk classified info... perhaps we might want to discuss Bob Novak writing about the company that Valerie Plame worked for and endangering every contact that worked with the company.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    There's plenty of blame to go around. That in no way excuses irresponsible, sensationalist, and biased/politically partisan reporting by the media since it's well-known that a lot of knuckleheads actually believe what it reports.

10. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    What a sad time in history, really, and I don't mean just for the United States, and her allies, but for human kind in general.

You've got people talking trash against the country they call home, you've got people giving aid and comfort to enemy's, that wish our way of life nothing but damnation.

You've got people, that call themselves patriots, willing to give away all that is held to be right, and moral, just for the sake of a moments peace.

You've got people, that will lay down, and allow themselves to be used by evil people for evil purposes.

The world is looking for soul, and commitment, and people, that have heart, moral character, not for those looking for the easy way out.

The United States, and many of her "allies" have chosen to take the easy way out. There is no salvation, or hope in that direction, there is only misery, and despair.

I pity those that see what is before us now, and wish only for the conflict to end. Nothing worth fighting for is easy, or without lost. Our enemy know this, we seem to show every day, that we DON'T.

Sad indeed.:boohoo: