Walmart To Raise Age Requirement To Purchase Firearms, Ammunition

Kroger-Owned Superstores To Stop Selling Guns To People Under 21

The changes at Fred Meyer superstores follow similar announcements by other major retailers.

Kroger, the largest U.S. supermarket chain, announced Thursday that it will no longer sell firearms or ammunition to buyers under age 21 through its Fred Meyer superstores.

“In response to the tragic events in Parkland and elsewhere, we’ve taken a hard look at our policies and procedures for firearm sales,” Kristal Howard, the company’s head of corporate communications and media relations, said in a statement emailed to HuffPost. “Recent events demonstrate the need for additional action on the part of responsible gun retailers. We are raising the minimum age to 21 to purchase firearms and ammunition in all of our Fred Meyer locations that sell firearms.”

Kroger is the third major U.S. retailer, after Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart, to vow stricter policies on gun purchases in the wake of the Feb. 14 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

More good news!

Not really good news...actually, not news at all. I much rather purchase my weapons at a specialty shop where the people who sell to me have actual knowledge and not someone who wandered over from produce.

Canadian Outdoor Retailer Drops Products From U.S. Company That Makes Guns

Mountain Equipment Co-op bowed to customers pressing the chain to distance itself from Vista Outdoors.

A major Canadian outdoor retail chain said Thursday it will stop selling products from a U.S. company that manufactures guns and ammunition.

Mountain Equipment Co-op, known as MEC, said it would stop carrying products from Vista Outdoor, a sprawling outdoor sports and recreation company that manufactures gun products, including assault-style rifles. MEC, based in Vancouver, sells neither firearms nor ammunition, but said it would quit selling five brands owned by Vista, including CamelBak, Bollé and Bushnell, in an effort to distance itself from the U.S. gun-maker.

Canadian Outdoor Retailer Drops Products From U.S. Company That Makes Guns

More good news!

The gun manufacturer that the story references is Savage Arms (which also owns Fox and Stevens). Savage Arms sells 98 models of centerfire rifles. Of that 98, only 4 would fit the description of an "assault rifle". The rest are bolt action rifles. I own 3 Savage rifles. All 3 are bolt action rifles. They are tack drivers. The Accu-Trigger is, without a doubt, the best trigger I have ever felt from an over the counter rifle.

But because Savage has 4 models of semi-auto, centerfire rifles that can fit the laughable description of "assault rifle", out of the 221 models of long arms they sell (2% of their products), the company is labeled bad, and their parent company, which sells 50 different brands of outdoor gear, is dropped? And that is progress?

The changes at Fred Meyer superstores follow similar announcements by other major retailers.

Kroger, the largest U.S. supermarket chain, announced Thursday that it will no longer sell firearms or ammunition to buyers under age 21 through its Fred Meyer superstores.

“In response to the tragic events in Parkland and elsewhere, we’ve taken a hard look at our policies and procedures for firearm sales,” Kristal Howard, the company’s head of corporate communications and media relations, said in a statement emailed to HuffPost. “Recent events demonstrate the need for additional action on the part of responsible gun retailers. We are raising the minimum age to 21 to purchase firearms and ammunition in all of our Fred Meyer locations that sell firearms.”

Kroger is the third major U.S. retailer, after Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart, to vow stricter policies on gun purchases in the wake of the Feb. 14 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

More good news!

Not really good news...actually, not news at all. I much rather purchase my weapons at a specialty shop where the people who sell to me have actual knowledge and not someone who wandered over from produce.

Very good point. I have never bought a gun from a dept store. I want to deal with people who know what they are talking about.

Which makes me wonder. Will the lunatics now be getting better quality guns and better info?

More good news!

Your post got me thinking. I also would never buy a gun from one of these stores, as almost no legit, serious gun owner. So, this means nothing to us, we will never know the difference.

But are people wanting a gun for doing harm more likely to go to Walmart or their local gun store...I would guess Walmart but have no evidence to back it up so it is just a WAG

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

More good news!

Your post got me thinking. I also would never buy a gun from one of these stores, as almost no legit, serious gun owner. So, this means nothing to us, we will never know the difference.

But are people wanting a gun for doing harm more likely to go to Walmart or their local gun store...I would guess Walmart but have no evidence to back it up so it is just a WAG

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

And only people wanting to do harm, that are under 21 will be effected by this. Seems like a pretty small subset for so much cheering.

But then, these mass/school shootings are a very small subset of the 9,500 or so murders per year. The rest, apparently, aren't a problem.

More good news!

Very good point. I have never bought a gun from a dept store. I want to deal with people who know what they are talking about.

Which makes me wonder. Will the lunatics now be getting better quality guns and better info?

Those "people who know what they are talking about" have a greater interest in protecting their business - and are more likely to deny and/or alert authorities about suspicious customers. That's a good thing.

More good news!

Those "people who know what they are talking about" have a greater interest in protecting their business - and are more likely to deny and/or alert authorities about suspicious customers. That's a good thing.

If only alerting the authorities meant something. Local law enforcement and the FBI received tips about the lunatic who shot up the school in Parkland. They did nothing.

And mental health professionals are required to report people who may be a danger to the NICS (the national background check system). But often they do not. No one seems to want to hold them responsible for their part in all this.

SUBTERFUGE !

AR's become harder to get more people want one - the price goes up.

BADA BING BADA BOOM ......

I salute Dick's Sporting Goods for doing the right thing. Hopefully more companies will follow.

Just a lot of meaningless bullshit intended to solve NOTHING but maintain a false public image of "proactiveness" to keep all of the liberal activist groups out there from attacking their corporate image. None of this will solve a damned thing because the law is the law and if someone could have bought xyz at Dicks or Walmart, they can go right to any gun store and still purchase same----- probably for less money. All it will really do is mean more money and business for the other suppliers.

Besides, most gun crimes are committed with a handgun! :21:

but not mass shootings, moron.

I salute Dick's Sporting Goods for doing the right thing. Hopefully more companies will follow.

Just a lot of meaningless bullshit intended to solve NOTHING but maintain a false public image of "proactiveness" to keep all of the liberal activist groups out there from attacking their corporate image. None of this will solve a damned thing because the law is the law and if someone could have bought xyz at Dicks or Walmart, they can go right to any gun store and still purchase same----- probably for less money. All it will really do is mean more money and business for the other suppliers.

Actually, they do. The VA Tech mass shooting has the 3rd highest death count. The shooter had 2 pistols.

You can always count on Jillian to open her mouth and take a bowel movement for a "thought," say the stupidest thing you'll ever hear then call the OTHER person a Moron. Dear, you ARE a nationality treasure.

Lessee, of the last 49 mass shootings tabulated by OLR, 37 of them or 76% (3 out of 4) did NOT involve a rifle at all, eight of them involved a shotgun, one involved a flamethrower, and only ten involved a rifle. Of those ten, only in five cases was the rifle the SOLE weapon used, meaning that it was DEFINITELY USED and not simply found in the trunk or backseat afterwards. So that leaves Jillian once again the winner of the "Stupider than a jackass" award for being the person most sure of more misinformation than anyone else on this board! :clap2::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

WEAPONS USED IN MASS SHOOTINGS

I think you've been lied to by the Huffpost. Why would Walmart ever do that? They are in rural areas and probably not going to take legal gun ownership age on their own. That's not their job. I think this is bullshit since all your links go back to a hufpo article and nothing to Walmart.

Are you really that dumb? Did you click on Walmart's statement link in the OP? Here, try The New York Times.

Walmart and Dick’s Raise Minimum Age for Gun Buyers to 21
Well there's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Since when do companies set legal age limits? Are you seriously thinking all these nasty corporations you hate are suddenly ok with setting national law? How the fuck does that work? Can gas companies not sell fuel to 16 year olds cars because they may have a wreck?

Any time you the person who hates corporations such as Walmart are cheering when they are setting national policy and law seems concerning to me.
tobacco and liquor

I think you've been lied to by the Huffpost. Why would Walmart ever do that? They are in rural areas and probably not going to take legal gun ownership age on their own. That's not their job. I think this is bullshit since all your links go back to a hufpo article and nothing to Walmart.

Are you really that dumb? Did you click on Walmart's statement link in the OP? Here, try The New York Times.

Walmart and Dick’s Raise Minimum Age for Gun Buyers to 21
Well there's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Since when do companies set legal age limits? Are you seriously thinking all these nasty corporations you hate are suddenly ok with setting national law? How the fuck does that work? Can gas companies not sell fuel to 16 year olds cars because they may have a wreck?

Any time you the person who hates corporations such as Walmart are cheering when they are setting national policy and law seems concerning to me.
tobacco and liquor
Set by the state not the business. Try again.

5a98b61b2000002d00eb067d.jpeg

REI Suspends Contract With Outdoor Company Over Gun Sales

“It is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions,” REI said.

The outdoor retailer REI has suspended its relationship with a company that supplies some of its most popular brands, including CamelBak and Giro, because the conglomerate also manufactures guns and ammunition.

REI said on Thursday that it would place a hold on any future orders with Vista Outdoor, a conglomerate that recently acquired several popular adventure brands that have long been featured in REI locations. But Vista Outdoor also owns Savage Arms, a gun manufacturer and retailer that stocks several models of semi-automatic “modern sporting rifles.” Such manufacturers are facing backlash after the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people dead.

The Seattle-based REI said it had been in discussions with Vista Outdoor for the past week, and that the two companies’ relationship would be put on hold since REI learned that Vista Outdoor would not make a public statement “that outlines a clear plan of action” regarding common-sense gun control measures.

“REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month,” REI said in a statement. “We have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds. Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that.”

More: REI Suspends Contract With Outdoor Company Over Gun Sales

More good news! Bless the Florida kids!

Forum List

Back